Low Bridges on Rhine Getaway

Texas

I have read several threads where the bridges were low and the upper deck was closed to passengers. Any one have any recent experience on the Rhine Getaway? Although we have a veranda cabin, we are looking forward to sitting on the upper deck and enjoy the scenery all around us.

We leave next week and I am getting really excited. Thanks for any feedback.

The more major problem with taller and taller ships is not the closing of the sun deck, while passing under bridges, but their inability to pass under the bridges at all at high water. Except for passing through a city, such as Paris, the time that the upper deck is closed is minimal. This goes along with the heavier boats, which require more water and cannot navigate the rivers at low water. Both conditions can convert your river cruise to a bus cruise. If you are concerned with high or low water bus cruises, check the fleet info under rivercruiseinfo.com, click HERE for height and draft. The less of either the better.. I think that you will find that Grand Circle, in general requires less of both. In six river cruises with them, we have never been delayed by high or low water, while other ships have been waiting for the river to rise or lower.

Edited by beverlyjack

As far as I now there are now low bridges on the Rhine river (unless you do have extreme high water).

The main problem with low bridges where the ships have to close down the sun deck is the Canal. And there are some lower bridges on the Danube river.

steamboats

Please be careful with rivercruiseinfo I have looked at their list of boats and there are quite of the descriptions that are inaccurate.

Canal archive: I tried to get the information available on the internet (companies websites, shipyards and so forth..). Hence I often just give a range (draft 1.4m - 1.8m). It would be great if you could get in touch with me via email / contact form in order to point out any specific factual errors, so I can fix them :)