RCI and Technology

I went to the RCCL web site to get info on the costs of WIFI.

I did a search on wifi, which returned me the following:

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop varies and is subject to

change. Visit guest services once onboard for more information.

I then did a search on CC and got the following:

CruiseSlacker: From 13-20 April 2014 cruise:

$229.95 - unlimited with two devices at any given time

$189.95 - unlimited. one device

Daily Plan - $59.90 24 hours from time of purchase. one device.

One Hour Plan - $29.95 60 minutes from time of purchase. one device.

Three Day Special - Starting noon on Day 4 - $140.95 72 hours. Two devices

Available at iCafe stations only - 30 minutes plan - $10.00 Expires 30 minutes after purchase.

RCI should be embarrassed on how technologically archaic they are. Maybe they should put something on their site such as

“Should you need specific and correct information on Royal Caribbean, please visit http://www.cruisecritic.com”.

The cost can vary by ship. Even on the same ship the pricing had been different on cruises that were just weeks apart.

So it would be impossible to post that info and update it as it changes?:rolleyes:

So it would be impossible to post that info and update it as it changes?:rolleyes:

Certainly beyond the capability of their current IT staff. There are still some places on the website that say the same drink package must be purchased by all guests in a stateroom. That changed about 6 months ago.

I went to the RCCL web site to get info on the costs of WIFI.

The subject that you posted with "RCI and Technology" is an oxymoron. I have updated it to reflect the true meaning.. (And, I'm a technology guy)

Steve

The subject that you posted with "RCI and Technology" is an oxymoron. I have updated it to reflect the true meaning.. (And, I'm a technology guy)

Steve

LIKE! :D RCL cannot figure out how to send me e-mails after many years of begging.

Steve

I'm a techy also. I probably maintain more database activity than RCI, and I do it without any help.

If you know what you are doing, it ain't rocket science.

Yes, ships are quite antiquated when it comes to wifi. You know it must be a huge money maker for them.

According to the above list, do they no longer have the packages where you have 30 minutes (or 60 or 90) that you use over the entire cruise? I was on a Celebrity TA in November and that came in handy for the occasional email check.

Maybe all the choices aren't listed.

Thanks

Dena

There really is no incentive for RCI to post the costs of these services when the cost varies from ship to ship. From a marketing point of view, it just isn't prudent to advertise costs that are not standard from ship to ship.

I'm a techy also. I probably maintain more database activity than RCI, and I do it without any help.

If you know what you are doing, it ain't rocket science.

If you think this is bad, try their so called new & improved "cruise planner."

There really is no incentive for RCI to post the costs of these services when the cost varies from ship to ship. From a marketing point of view, it just isn't prudent to advertise costs that are not standard from ship to ship.

Which begs the question: why isn't it the same on every ship?

I TOTALLY disagree.:mad:

To post information that is informative and accurate and makes me, the customer happy should be more than enough incentive.

What I think is "imprudent" is having a web site that stinks.

They used to have the prices in their FAQ answers. But since they are changing ship by ship to the unlimited packages they have removed the price/minute and the old minute package prices.

So some ships do have the ultimate package, some still have the old minute packages. As this is in a state of change it won´t make much sense to update the FAQ daily/weekly/monthly with a list which ship has which package deal.

steamboats

Putting wi-fi throughout a cruise ship is a surprisingly painful process because the cabins are made out of metal which turns them into giant Faraday cages which degrades the wi-fi signal. When you are in port it can be almost impossible to get 3G data in a promenade cabin on the Voyager class ships. This means that you need to put in a huge number of wireless base stations (or similar) because the range is terrible.

So what RCI is doing is adding base stations when ships are getting refitted because they have to run a huge amount of cable, some power and some other infrastructure without impacting the visual amenity of the ship.

Just to add more complexity the amount of bandwidth and cost of providing that bandwidth depends on where in the world the ship is located. Caribbean has islands with populations so base stations, Great Southern Ocean has none. Also the closer to the equator the more satellites that cover the area.

By not publishing their prices for certain packages they can adjust them in the same way that they do for cabins based on cost and demand.