Freedom Of The Seas Cancelled for the month for Jan 2015

Freedom of seas is getting two new restaurants during dry dock January 2015. Izumi and Giovanni's restaurants would be build during dry dock. Royal Caribbean is also taking reservation for the new restaurants. Current price for Giovanni's is $25.00 pp and Izumi is no charge. The current Italian restaurant would be removed.

Be careful when you write that Izumi is 'no charge'. Izumi is a 'for fee' restaurant. It is 'a la carte' pricing for whatever you order, but it is not free and part of the cruise fare. We went to the Izumi restaurant on Allure last summer, and it was wonderful and well worth the money. As good Japanese food as we have had at home, and we have some very good Japanese restaurants at home.

Freedom of seas is getting two new restaurants during dry dock January 2015. Izumi and Giovanni's restaurants would be build during dry dock. Royal Caribbean is also taking reservation for the new restaurants. Current price for Giovanni's is $25.00 pp and Izumi is no charge. The current Italian restaurant would be removed.

Awesome news - my wife will be very excited to have Izumi. This was first question she asked me when we booked - does it have Izumi....lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Good to know that there is hidden charges at the Izumi restaurant. We made reservations and wasn't told about the prices. Like other specialty dinning they had set prices. Thanks for the information.

I appears that you are new to CC, with this being your 2nd post, but Izumi has always been advertised as a 'for fee restaurant'. It is not done as a 'fixed price restaurant' and never was to my understanding.

Edited by Paulette3028

When I made reservation for the Izumi restaurant the total charges was $0.00. So I guess I'm not sure where the $$ are at. I did get charge for the Giovanni's restaurant . Is it possible RCL is trying something different? Plus does anybody know if kids under 5 eat free at specialty restaurants? I did notice you can only make one reservation with Izumi restaurant one time during the trip.

I appears that you are new to CC, with this being your 2nd post, but Izumi has always been advertised as a 'for fee restaurant'. It is not done as a 'fixed price restaurant' and never was to my understanding.

Not totally true, Oasis now has a fixed price hibachi menu.

Edited by Oville

When I made reservation for the Izumi restaurant the total charges was $0.00. So I guess I'm not sure where the $$ are at. I did get charge for the Giovanni's restaurant . Is it possible RCL is trying something different? Plus does anybody know if kids under 5 eat free at specialty restaurants? I did notice you can only make one reservation with Izumi restaurant one time during the trip.

Izumi is a la cart pricing.

How much does a meal cost approximately per person?

If I remember correctly we spent about $45 for both of us, with tip. It was incredibly reasonable and plenty to eat! It was a late night dinner for us, because we had gone to see Chicago for the 7pm show, and had 9pm reservations. We hadn't eaten since 5:30pm when we had a snack -- so we were hungry. We got to Izumi a few minutes early and were seated right away.

Glad to share the info!

• 1 month later...
Anyone know what is planned for the drydock?

Biggest reason for the drydock is to replace the bearing on the fixipod. It has been unusable at full speed for some time. Other changes look very minimal - new carpeting and general refurbishment of the public areas.

http://www.******************.com/2015/01/06/royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas-heads-24-day-drydock

Biggest reason for the drydock is to replace the bearing on the fixipod. It has been unusable at full speed for some time. Other changes look very minimal - new carpeting and general refurbishment of the public areas.

http://www.******************.com/2015/01/06/royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas-heads-24-day-drydock

I respectfully disagree with the last part of your statement. From what we can gather, they are moving the disco, building at least 2 new restaurants and renovating at least 2 bars.

I respectfully disagree with the last part of your statement. From what we can gather, they are moving the disco, building at least 2 new restaurants and renovating at least 2 bars.

Here is a list -- probably not 100% complete or features may be subject to change:

24 days in dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas

Addition of cabins on deck 3 where the Crypt currently is.

Addition of Mexican restaurant on deck 4 of crypt.

Conversion of Olive or Twist to make it the nightclub

Addition of cabins on deck 12 near the spa.

New carpeting throughout the ship (much needed from my perspective)

Repair of current disabled pod

Maintenance of the other pods and other below water items

Upgrades to the bridge electrical systems

Also add conversion of Champagne Bar to R Bar (60's themed martini bar)

Azipods usually are replaced as a module. The dry dock usually doesn't have the staff or facilities to do it onsite. It will probably be removed and a rep placement installed. The damaged one will be sent to the manufacturer for rebuilding.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Azipods usually are replaced as a module. The dry dock usually doesn't have the staff or facilities to do it onsite. It will probably be removed and a rep placement installed. The damaged one will be sent to the manufacturer for rebuilding.

No idea if related, but propeller stated removed in Nassau on December 2, 2014 to 'prevent' further damage.

Just as long as it is fixed and FR can get to its top speed.

Actually, Freeport is one of only a few places that has the expertise to rebuild an azipod on site. They completely rebuilt the one on Allure in five days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

and... Portofino converted to Giovanni's.

No Izumi on latest listings, so hopefully Jade Sushi being retained in WJ.

weird, because we just made reservations for Izumi on ours 3/8 Freedom sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app