Excursions deposits and canellations

AK Dreaming

We are traveling on the Golden Princess the first week of June. I noticed on the Princess web page it says no deposit required. However there are cancellations fees? How can they charge you a cancellation fee if you pay no deposit? Is it better to book with the cruise line, directly with vendors or other tour providers. I have never done a shore excursion but was interested in a helicopter tour in Juneau, the train in Skagway and the whale watching in Ketichan.

You don't pay a deposit when you book the excursion but once you board the ship there is a cutoff date to cancel your tour. (usually 24-36 hours before the actual tour). If you don't cancel the price of the ticket is charged to your onboard ship account.

Usually you can get a tour cheaper thru a private operator but there are exceptions where the ship one is a good deal. For the train in Skagway the longer excursions off much better scenery and bang for your buck. Also I don't think you will find any whale watch tours out of Ketchikan

You don't even have to stand in a line to cancel your excursion tickets. Just put them in an envelope with Please Cancel written on it and drop it in the box on the shore excursion desk. :)

Note: Be sure to do this in advance of "cancellation time".

LuLu

Any excursions you book before the cruise are charge to your account the first day. For each tour there is a cancellation time. It is usually about 6 pm 2 days before your arrive in the port. If you cancel before then, you get a full refund. If you cancel after that, you do not get a refund unless the cruise is fully booked and they can sell your ticket(s).

We are traveling on the Golden Princess the first week of June. I noticed on the Princess web page it says no deposit required. However there are cancellations fees? How can they charge you a cancellation fee if you pay no deposit? Is it better to book with the cruise line, directly with vendors or other tour providers. I have never done a shore excursion but was interested in a helicopter tour in Juneau, the train in Skagway and the whale watching in Ketichan.

You can book Princess Tours on line by going to the My Princess Cruise Personalizer. Unless otherwise noted, booked tours can be cancelled on line before you depart or once on board. The deadline for cancellation is shown on your tour ticket, which will be delivered to you cabin when you board. There are no cancellation fees if you cancel within the time frame noted. There is no charge to your credit card at the time of booking, thus no deposit. The full cost for the tour shows up as a charge to your on board account, and will be on your folio on the first day. Some tours, and helicopter tours are one of them, have limited cancellation rules. So be sure to read the fine print. If you don't cancel within the time frame noted the charge will stay on your account and at the end of the cruise will be charged to you credit card along with all the other on board expenses. Hope this answers your questions.