Exercise on Celebrity - specifically Reflection

txflood33

yes, I know....BOOOOOOOOO exercise....who wants to exercise during a cruise?

However, I will be a month out from a 1/2 marathon I have already signed up for so I will be in full on training mode.

My question is.....does Reflection have a track you can run on? indoor or out on a deck? I saw tons of treadmills but a 7-10 mile run on a treadmill just sucks.

Part 2 of my question.....if the answer is yes, and I can run in circles around a deck of the ship, has anyone used the Nike running app that uses the GPS to track time/distance? Do you think it would work out in the middle of the ocean while the boat sails?

The "track" is ridiculously small. I tried to log a mere 5 miles one day and felt like I was running in circles. Gave up after 8 laps and hit the treadmill. It's probably about 1/8 of a mile? Also, unless you plan on getting up there at 5am, you'll be dodging leisurely morning strollers. The track is narrow, and folks are on vacation: which means they'll be stopping in the middle to take photos, not even realizing they're on the jogging track...just about impossible to keep a steady pace. Then you have the groups of walkers that stroll slowwwwly along...4 abreast, so you can't pass them because they take up the whole width of the track. Not to mention the fact that along most of the track, the path is lined with loungers...so you'll have folks pulling them out, moving them around, again blocking parts of the path. Sigh. For us, on a nice day, the walkers were up there by 7am.

I hear you, long mileage on a treadmill stinks. But the treadmill is probably the best option if you want to keep a steady pace.

I doubt the app will work, either...it wouldn't work on my ipod.

Edited by micmacmissy

I concur with previous poster that the 'running track' is not really practical for any serious running and I share your thoughts about running on a treadmill.

I don't know your itinerary but you should consider researching some running routes at the ports as an alternative to the treadmill.

thanks for the replies...so far all news from bummer town

Our gym at home has 2 indoor tracks(upstairs and downstairs) and it sounds similar to the 1st response...6 laps=1 mile, lots of walkers walking 3-4 abreast making it difficult to navigate...(I will admit, we don't have to navigate/dodge lounge chairs)

We've done early runs before, so the 5:00/5:30 start may be an option. The 3-5 mile runs are tolerable on a treadmill, I'm just not a fan. I'd rather be out with a breeze. It's also difficult to change pace easily to match bpm with your music selection.

We are sailing out of Rome on Oct 6 and our itinerary is:

day at sea

Santorini, Greece

day at sea

Istanbul, Turkey (overnight)

Ephesus, Turkey

Mykonos, Greese

day at sea

Athens, Greese

Naples, Italy

back to Rome for the long flight home

yes, I know....BOOOOOOOOO exercise....who wants to exercise during a cruise?

However, I will be a month out from a 1/2 marathon I have already signed up for so I will be in full on training mode.

My question is.....does Reflection have a track you can run on? indoor or out on a deck? I saw tons of treadmills but a 7-10 mile run on a treadmill just sucks.

Part 2 of my question.....if the answer is yes, and I can run in circles around a deck of the ship, has anyone used the Nike running app that uses the GPS to track time/distance? Do you think it would work out in the middle of the ocean while the boat sails?

We run 10-12 Half's a year. Were on Reflection last Nov. What is listed as a 'track' is a painted path between the deck chairs. The circle is too tight for any kind of a good training run. We would break it up by going all the way forward past the basketball court, then all the way aft thru the Sunset.

The other passengers are not runners, are on vacation, and think we are crazy:D which we are! They will stand in the track path, or just stroll and weave side to side. On your left has no meaning, so don't get aggravated with them;)

By 7:45-8:00 it will be too crowded to run on the deck. The view on the dread mills is not bad.

Which Half are you training for?

ps: our Garmin did read! But it was worthless, but fun to see the readings.

Edited by wallie5446

We are doing the Rock N Roll 1/2 in Vegas in Nov

My wife did the RnR 1/2 in New Orleans a few years ago and loved the set up and organization. We both did the RnR 1/2 in Dallas last year. So now we are doing Vegas...run at night down the strip :D

We are doing the Rock N Roll 1/2 in Vegas in Nov

My wife did the RnR 1/2 in New Orleans a few years ago and loved the set up and organization. We both did the RnR 1/2 in Dallas last year. So now we are doing Vegas...run at night down the strip :D

We love Rock n Roll events! Almost as much as we do sailing on Celebrity!

image.jpg.d2870ba3d712bf84cddc50638f9ea33c.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

thanks for the replies...so far all news from bummer town

Our gym at home has 2 indoor tracks(upstairs and downstairs) and it sounds similar to the 1st response...6 laps=1 mile, lots of walkers walking 3-4 abreast making it difficult to navigate...(I will admit, we don't have to navigate/dodge lounge chairs)

We've done early runs before, so the 5:00/5:30 start may be an option. The 3-5 mile runs are tolerable on a treadmill, I'm just not a fan. I'd rather be out with a breeze. It's also difficult to change pace easily to match bpm with your music selection.

We are sailing out of Rome on Oct 6 and our itinerary is:

day at sea

Santorini, Greece

day at sea

Istanbul, Turkey (overnight)

Ephesus, Turkey

Mykonos, Greese

day at sea

Athens, Greese

Naples, Italy

back to Rome for the long flight home

I will be cruising in June with the same itinerary. Never cruised before, so does any experienced cruiser/runner know if its practical and safe to go for early (6:00 am) runs in Athen/Istanbul when the ship is docket there?

I will be cruising in June with the same itinerary. Never cruised before, so does any experienced cruiser/runner know if its practical and safe to go for early (6:00 am) runs in Athen/Istanbul when the ship is docket there?

2 places you may put the question for better responces are the Port of Call board, and the Roll Call for that sailing.

But OH MY! The thought of an early morning run thru the streets of Athen's!