Jewel 8076 Obstructed view is NO view!!!

tallyho8

Just off of the Jewel and my friends booked cabin 8076 which was supposed to be an obstructed view cabin but it turned out to have absolutely no view.

The window was frosted glass that you could not see through at all. The photos on the web sites showed you looking at a lifeboat which would not have been too bad because you can always see around them a little.

I've had many obstructed view cabins but have always had a decent view. Attached is the view out of my cabin #8554 on the Jewel.

He complained and luckily someone didn't show up and they moved him to an outside picture window cabin.

DSC06152.jpg.cc538af837d8831baab8dc57de00855f.jpg

Obstructed view = may or may not have any view.

Had an obstructed view that looked right at a lifeboat, no "view" at all, couldn't see anything but orange. Didn't occur to me to complain as I got what I booked. If you're not willing to live with a non-view it's better to book a cabin that you will be happy with.

It's semi-obstructed view and I don't see the picture as being 100% frosted, unless OP is referring to a different picture taken. That is what an obstructed view could be like, the deck plans for a given ship are never meant or intended to be 100%, not even 95% accurate and merely a close representation. That window shown has plenty of natural light and showed a fairly good view of what's outside, including the walkway & the top of the lifeboat plus landmarks & other objects in the distance.

Happy for your buddy that they exchanged & did at least a double upgrade to a picture window OV cabin at no charge.

Oh well, it's a matter of expectations but not one of misrepresentation on NCL's part.

Not only was ours total obstructed by a lifeboat on Dawn . They leave the flood light on All night you have to close the drapes to sleep and leave the T/V on bow cam to tell when sunrise comes .

Also crew members walk by the outside of your window to service them too !

Doesn't the word "obstructed" mean blocked? I've had obstructed where you could see right through the lifeboatd & I've had obstructed with just the lifeboat view. Never expected to see anything else as the very name of my cabin said the view would be obstructed.

It's semi-obstructed view and I don't see the picture as being 100% frosted, unless OP is referring to a different picture taken. That is what an obstructed view could be like, the deck plans for a given ship are never meant or intended to be 100%, not even 95% accurate and merely a close representation. That window shown has plenty of natural light and showed a fairly good view of what's outside, including the walkway & the top of the lifeboat plus landmarks & other objects in the distance.

Happy for your buddy that they exchanged & did at least a double upgrade to a picture window OV cabin at no charge.

Oh well, it's a matter of expectations but not one of misrepresentation on NCL's part.

That was a picture of the OP's window, not her friends. I had to read it twice to realize also.

That's a shame that your friends didn't have at least a peek at sea or sky in their OBS Oceanview cabin...glad NCL could accomodate them with a move as the ship was pretty darn near full!

Our own sideways obstructed handicapped cabin on deck 8 was plenty fine, not even any wiring or metal blockage, I'd say maybe 40% obstructed, here's a shot:

2c18ad15-ed99-46e6-ba11-acae8ed46e91_zps33eae05b.jpg

I had DH Richard shoot plenty of exterior pix to demonstrate what degree of obstruction you might expect, port side being near identical to our own starboard digs. In a discussion with our steward, who serviced OBS cabins 8096-8102, he mentioned about all had the same nicer view, and the tenders were not winched as high as some other ships so that helped, in his opinion.

I was thinking maybe it was because the smallish fixed windows were located almost at the top of the deck. This next photo shows what I mean on the Port side, and some of the cabins, about 2 for each tender, clearly have much less obstruction.

A few don't seem to have a second window or it is almost completed behind one of the larger tenders. On occasion this has lined up with a thru way, but in a closer look, some windows are either opaque or seem to vanish against the white hull paint*.

2b4dbbbb-16e9-4ce1-b430-c4a7d8667c6a_zps5cf0af46.jpg

* I could be mistaken, but the second to last tender on the right, (closest to midship), appears to mirror your friend's original cabin on starboard side.

Edited by kcfoxy

Our own sideways obstructed handicapped cabin [#8100] on deck 8 was plenty fine, not even any wiring or metal blockage, I'd say maybe 40% obstructed, here's a shot:

2c18ad15-ed99-46e6-ba11-acae8ed46e91_zps33eae05b.jpg

Thank you for this picture! We booked the port-side equivalent of yours (8600), and I am happy to see that we seem to have made a good choice of OK/OX room. Also good to know that the windowsill is wide enough for our kids (9 and 4) to take turn sitting in, since they enjoyed doing so in our Carnival OV last fall. :)

Edited by The Mister

As another reader pointed out, the photo in my post was of my obstructed view window which I thoroughly enjoyed for the price I paid.

This is the window he complained about which is NO view, not obstructed view.

DSC06151.jpg.afbcbd5b758b4e03890ced8f4081f3f6.jpg

As another reader pointed out, the photo in my post was of my obstructed view window which I thoroughly enjoyed for the price I paid.

Yep, obstructed view.

You get what you pay for, or do not pay for as the case may be.

Just off of the Jewel and my friends booked cabin 8076 which was supposed to be an obstructed view cabin but it turned out to have absolutely no view.

The window was frosted glass that you could not see through at all. The photos on the web sites showed you looking at a lifeboat which would not have been too bad because you can always see around them a little.

I've had many obstructed view cabins but have always had a decent view. Attached is the view out of my cabin #8554 on the Jewel.

He complained and luckily someone didn't show up and they moved him to an outside picture window cabin.

An obstructed view is like a gty cabin: a gamble. You might get just a slight obstruction or you may get almost no view except the life boats. We have booked them 3 times, all were a little different. Yes, you could have asked for an upgrade and paid more, but you didn't. I am sorry you were disappointed but bet you enjoyed your vacation anyway. Or hopefully, you were able to adjust and still have a good cruise. Let's hope at least one person will see this and make sure they do not book the cabin you were in.

Edited by newmexicoNita

• 8 months later...

I apologize this is kind of resurrecting the thread, but what cabin # is this picture of?

The first post says 8076...

No, it's not a picture of 8076, it's 8554. A picture of the friend's "view" is in post #10. The window was frosted glass so they couldn't see through it to even see what their obstruction was. That was as good as an inside cabin. So, for people to say an obstructed guarantee is what you get, this goes beyond it when you can't even see through the window at all.

The photo in post #1 is 8554, one of the best obstructed view cabins.

The photo in post #10 is 8076 with absolutely NO view at all. Not even as good as an inside cabin which at least has a mirror there so you can view yourself.

Today I returned from a cruise on the Dawn in obstructed oceanview cabin #8285 which was a sideways cabin and though the view was very obstructed ( you had to see through the windows of the tender to see the water) at least it had some view so there was nothing for me to complain about.

Edited by tallyho8

The obstruction seems to be in full view to me... The obstruction is a piece of frosted glass.

Ha, though in that case you could make the argument an inside cabin merely has the obstruction of mirrors, mechanics and a whole bunch of walls... ;)

Edited by Bethwte

The obstruction seems to be in full view to me... The obstruction is a piece of frosted glass.

Very true!

It isn't like NCL ever said that the obstruction HAD to be from a lifeboat, right?

Seems to me that if you have a piece of glass that lets natural light pass, but offers something other than 100% transparency, that you got what you paid for.

Very true!

It isn't like NCL ever said that the obstruction HAD to be from a lifeboat, right?

Seems to me that if you have a piece of glass that lets natural light pass, but offers something other than 100% transparency, that you got what you paid for.

Seems like you don't know what an "ocean view" is.

An obstructed view of an ocean is just that: a view of the ocean that is not complete because it is partially obstructed. It could be 1% obstructed or 99.44% obstructed but can not be 100% obstructed and still be an ocean view. If it is completely obstructed from the ocean, it is no ocean view, not obstructed ocean view.

You can get light from a light in your cabin but light is not an ocean view.

I guess some people would argue that an inside cabin with a TV channel showing the bow cam is an ocean view.

An obstructed view of an ocean is just that: a view of the ocean that is not complete because it is partially obstructed. It could be 1% obstructed or 99.44% obstructed but can not be 100% obstructed and still be an ocean view. If it is completely obstructed from the ocean, it is no ocean view, not obstructed ocean view.

I guess some people would argue that an inside cabin with a TV channel showing the bow cam is an ocean view.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

I don't know about the behavior of people in the way that you guess, but I do know that one person will see terms that were never mentioned (for example: "oceanview" or "obstructed view of an ocean") simply so they can argue against those terms. :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

Obstructed ocean view should be some kind of obstruction I agree, but with a view, not a frosted window. In that case it would become an inside room. That would be like paying for a balcony cabin and you can't open the door.