Live - Millennium Held By Russian Authorities

NJ Fred

I agree with you Fred about Petropavlovsk. We only took a tour so we could say we were in Russia. I found the place absolutely depressing. I don't know why Celebrity bothers to go there.

We were very late leaving also, because of some passport problems. I think one of the tours was very late getting off the ship because the Russian officials insisted on going very slowly through the passports of those individuals and then, of course, they were very late reboarding. I hope you get out of there PDQ.

We have been on a tour and river cruise of Russia that included Ukraine and the Baltic countries.

Moscow and STP have some new modern buildings, but most of the country is still in sad shape 20 years after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Ukraine is no better. However, we still loved the people.

The Baltics are part of the EU and NATO and fully embraced a relatively non-corrupt free market system. It shows, Estonia is nearly on par with some other Western countries. Latvia and Lithuania are not far behind.

We were on this same sailing as the OP. After speaking with several of the high ranking officers onboard, the delay was not (I repeat WAS NOT) caused by Celebrity. The officers and individuals that were working with the Russian customs officers were denied access to the passports to identify who was missing (hence the reason the announcements were very vague about who was missing).

Yes in the beginning approximately 30 passports were missing and had not been turned in by the passengers as they should have been upon re-boarding the vessel. Finally after many attempts by Celebrity staff, just before midnight, the Russian officials let Celebrity look at the passports to locate which two passports were "missing." It ended up that the Russian officials had put two non-checked passports in to the completed pile by mistake (or on purpose as some expected). The delayed departure caused Celebrity to have to pay double for the "privilege" of dropping anchor in Russian waters. Celebrity also had to incur an estimated $400,000 loss for the delayed departure in added fuel costs.

The only reason that Celebrity stops here is for cheap fuel. The fuel costs are so low at this port, it must be worth all the trouble and upset passengers. Our TAs were supposed to inform us that this was the reason for this port of call, but I suspect many (like myself) were not informed of this.

We took this port with a grain of salt. We knew going into this cruise that Russia makes this stop very difficult and we may not even get to get off the ship. We considered our ship lucky that we got to get out and see what little bit we did get to see. Would I go there again? Sure why not. Is it a priority to go there again? Umm, no.

The only reason that Celebrity stops here is for cheap fuel. The fuel costs are so low at this port, it must be worth all the trouble and upset passengers. Our TAs were supposed to inform us that this was the reason for this port of call, but I suspect many (like myself) were not informed of this.

Interesting...! We are booked direct with Celebrity on this cruise next year. We were also booked on the Shanghai to Vancouver cruise that was replaced by this cruise and were sent details of this cruise by Celebrity when it was first planned. Neither time have we been advised that the reason for this port of call was the cheap refuelling. Your TA is certainly not at fault!

Edited by Project_gal

We were on this same sailing as the OP. After speaking with several of the high ranking officers onboard, the delay was not (I repeat WAS NOT) caused by Celebrity. The officers and individuals that were working with the Russian customs officers were denied access to the passports to identify who was missing (hence the reason the announcements were very vague about who was missing).

Yes in the beginning approximately 30 passports were missing and had not been turned in by the passengers as they should have been upon re-boarding the vessel. Finally after many attempts by Celebrity staff, just before midnight, the Russian officials let Celebrity look at the passports to locate which two passports were "missing." It ended up that the Russian officials had put two non-checked passports in to the completed pile by mistake (or on purpose as some expected). The delayed departure caused Celebrity to have to pay double for the "privilege" of dropping anchor in Russian waters. Celebrity also had to incur an estimated $400,000 loss for the delayed departure in added fuel costs.

We took this port with a grain of salt. We knew going into this cruise that Russia makes this stop very difficult and we may not even get to get off the ship. We considered our ship lucky that we got to get out and see what little bit we did get to see. Would I go there again? Sure why not. Is it a priority to go there again? Umm, no.

Thanks for the insight. As a RCL shareholder I appreciate that they stop there for cheap fuel. :rolleyes: I'm surprised that the delay of several hours costs an additional $400,000 in fuel, especially if it is cheap fuel.

Even if Celebrity made the stop for cheap fuel, I'm not sure why they would have to tell pax of the reason. Well, since we're on the cruise next year, it will be an adventure. :D

Goldenco

Thanks for the insight. As a RCL shareholder I appreciate that they stop there for cheap fuel. :rolleyes: I'm surprised that the delay of several hours costs an additional $400,000 in fuel, especially if it is cheap fuel.

Even if Celebrity made the stop for cheap fuel, I'm not sure why they would have to tell pax of the reason. Well, since we're on the cruise next year, it will be an adventure. :D

Goldenco

The loss wasn't for the fuel while sitting in Russia, it was to account for the increased speed across the Pacific to make up for the five lost hours.

We took Russia much like I think you are, its an adventure and if it happens, great. If not, oh well :) We are even thinking of booking the same cruise for next year...

The loss wasn't for the fuel while sitting in Russia, it was to account for the increased speed across the Pacific to make up for the five lost hours.

We took Russia much like I think you are, its an adventure and if it happens, great. If not, oh well :) We are even thinking of booking the same cruise for next year...

When we went to Russia on our transpacific cruise, we expected two things: eastern block architecture and bureaucracy.

We got both.

We did a Vantage Russian River cruise in 2011 with a pre-Kiev and post-Baltic countries extensions.

Leaving Russia proved to be interesting. Our bus was delayed at the Russian-Estonian border. Some of the buses in front of us were having to unload all the luggage from the bus so the border guards could go through the luggage.

Many of us wondered why the intense searches for people LEAVING Russia. We asked our program manager, who replied that the old ways endured (the Soviet ways).

Also, when we applied for our Russian visa, we were informed to be very careful not to make a mistake on the date of departure from Russia, since if the visa expired before we could depart, we would be stuck there until we got a new visa.

There was a case of someone's flight delayed past midnight, so their visa expired and they could not catch the flight.

We loved Russia, but it is what it is.

Many of us wondered why the intense searches for people LEAVING Russia. We asked our program manager, who replied that the old ways endured (the Soviet ways).

Lots of items can result in charges.

For example, if you take out more cash than you declared on the way in - that's confiscated.

If you take out any form of art, or military relics, or other historical items (not necessarily valuable, could be modern art, or just from a street vendor), you get asked for your permit, or it could be confiscated ... or you pay up.

Lots of avenues for people to need to pay up ;)

Lots of items can result in charges.

For example, if you take out more cash than you declared on the way in - that's confiscated.

If you take out any form of art, or military relics, or other historical items (not necessarily valuable, could be modern art, or just from a street vendor), you get asked for your permit, or it could be confiscated ... or you pay up.

Lots of avenues for people to need to pay up ;)

I asked our guide about someone taking icons or historical items and she laughed. The intense searches were way beyond reason.

We we departed from Egypt, a place which might warrant a more intensive search, the was more of a spot checking, not entire bus loads of people/

I will not book any trip that goes to Russia. Many cruise lines have eliminated Russian ports. Until Putin makes peace with the world, I will avoid any dealings with Russia.

I can understand your point of view but perhaps a new screen name is in order. ;)

(Remember "Better dead than red" or the opposite?)

We're on Millie this September with the same stop. I would love it if Celebrity cancelled Russian ports.