Victoria stop on Alaska RT cruises: Do people actually bother?

Vexorg

This sparked my husband's interest. How close to the port is it and would we need to take the subtle into the city?

It's a ten dollar cab ride (each way). The cabs are so cheap in Victoria, I don't bother with the shuttle any more. Bards and Banker is right downtown, in the middle of everything. You will love it! Last time we were there, several of the ship's performers were enjoying beers too.;) My husband loves it too. As others posted, it's an easy walk, but if you are limited for time, a taxi is quicker.

Edited by partybarbie

Let's see! At 7.00pm a 25 minute walk to the Bards and Banker Pub. After several pints a 90 minute stagger back to the ship, if you can find your way around the meandering streets. But seriously, Victoria is such a beautiful English heritage type of city, any time of day or night. Don't miss it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Since we cruise Alaska at least annually if not more often, our tradition is to always get off the ship and eat dinner in town. Usually we go to the Irish Times Pub, but there are a bunch of other places that have great food as well!

• 8 months later...

We finish our cruise in Vancouver and have plans to spend a few days there before our flight home to Florida. We have friends who are encouraging us to stay in Victoria instead. However, it appears to me the logistics for traveling from Victoria to the Vancouver Airport the morning we are to leave is simply a bit too long...am I right or is there a good option? BTW, our flight home departs Vancouver at 10:30 a.m.

We finish our cruise in Vancouver and have plans to spend a few days there before our flight home to Florida. We have friends who are encouraging us to stay in Victoria instead. However, it appears to me the logistics for traveling from Victoria to the Vancouver Airport the morning we are to leave is simply a bit too long...am I right or is there a good option? BTW, our flight home departs Vancouver at 10:30 a.m.

It all depends on how much luggage you have and when your connecting flight is. There are several flights daily from Victoria Airport directly Vancouver incl Orca Air which is a low-cost option. There are ferries from Victoria to Vancouver which are well appointed and cruise through islands no cruise ship sees, with a fairly direct bus service from the terminals to the airport in Vancouver and to downtown in Victoria. If you plan on storing most of your bags at YVR to travel light, there's also float planes with Harbour Air from the YVR South Terminal directly into downtown Victoria - there's also a helicopter service as well. All depends on when you need to be in Vancouver and how much.

I would strenuously avoid *any* water crossing the same day as a morning flight - too many things can go wrong. I also find it hard to believe that anyone could put hand on heart and state that Victoria offers more for tourists than Vancouver does - especially since you'll be stopping there while on the cruise anyway. So unless the Victoria add-on would be to visit good friends I'd stick to Vancouver if you have a few days to tag on to the cruise.

Of course, maybe you've visited Vancouver many times and feel like a change of scene - in which case consider taking the Clipper direct to Seattle from Victoria and flying home from SEA instead of YVR (day before your flight of course, airport hotels around SEA offer many bargain rooms) offers another short cruise and the chance to save some cash on flights...

You'll almost certainly save several tens of dollars per person, but it can go well over a hundred pp saving - I know we always price up SEA flights whenever we're heading to the east coast (we saved enough on a flight to Boston for a friend's wedding one July to pay for a Seatac hotel and 3 nights in a 5* in downtown Boston; plus the direct flight saved us ~two hours each way which was half our travel time down to Seattle & back).

I am late to this thread, but when we visited Victoria, we felt the exact same way the OP did. But we decided to make the best of it. We ended up doing a great 'Ghost Walk'. My DW loves these things and we have done them all over the world, (or where ever there are ghosts. :D:D).

The started about 8:30 and ended about 10:30. We were in port till 12 so after that we walked around downtown a bit and took a cab back to the ship.

Beautiful city and wish we had more time to explore it.

Cheers

Len

encouraging us to stay in Victoria instead. However, it appears to me the logistics for traveling from Victoria to the Vancouver Airport the morning we are to leave is simply a bit too long...am I right or is there a good option? BTW, our flight home departs Vancouver at 10:30 a.m.

10:30am flight.... you aren't going to make it on the ferry as you should be at the airport around 8:30am.... The first morning ferry arrives at the Tsawwassen terminal just around 9am. If there is a congestion problem in the George Massey Tunnel... you will be really upset.

Go straight to Victoria the first day you end the cruise. Stay by the airport the night before leaving Vancouver.

Edited by xlxo

Most direct route is a little over a mile - the scenic route, sticking as close to the water as possible from Fisherman's Wharf, adds about a half-mile extra (approximate Google Walking Map - I don't think they have all the off-sidewalk walkable parts of the waterfront listed, but it's pretty close). The locals put out some pretty helpful signage so you don't get lost.

NB - shuttles offer truly horrible value in Victoria, compounded by them being sold as a return trip only in my experience so you can't walk one way and shuttle back without paying double. A taxi is cheaper and more convenient unless you are solo traveler unwilling to share a cab.

Since you have a few days post cruise, why don't you split the difference. and spend time in both cities? Disembark in Victoria, wander around the harbor in the evening, overnight, visit Butchart Gardens the next day, and catch a late afternoon or evening bus to Vancouver. It's about a 4 hr trip, including a lovely 90 minute ferry ride past the Islands.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater/Victoria-to-Vancouver

p.s. Be sure to let the cruise staff know you are disembarking !

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.