Victoria stop on Alaska RT cruises: Do people actually bother?

Vexorg

We did the roundtrip out of Seattle in 2012. It appeared that most passengers got off the ship even if just for a couple of hours. We had late traditional dining. Pretty much every night the dining room was close to full. But on the last night at Victoria there were maybe 2 dozen passengers in the whole dining room. We felt sorry for the staff that had to stay on duty that night as most had no one to take care of.

If I was docked in Victoria until Midnight, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to have dinner off ship. There are lots of great places to dine, including a number of locations along the harbor walk before you even reach downtown. Get out there and enjoy!

I'm booked for the Golden Princess roundtrip Alaska cruise out of Seattle on September 13th along with some friends, and haven't quite figured out what to do with the Victoria stop on the last day. It's clear that it's there for no reason other than PVSA compliance, and the 7 to Midnight time puts it right around the time that people should be packing up for disembarkation the next morning. Now there's nothing particularly wrong with Victoria per se (I've stopped there on a previous cruise and thought it was reasonably nice,) but it just doesn't seem like this exactly lends itself to doing much of anything. Besides, if I really wanted to go see Victoria I could do either a daytrip or an overnight visit and have a lot more time to see it.

For people who have done this cruise, do you even bother getting off the ship here, and if so, is there anything actually interesting to do in Victoria during this time?

We loved Victoria on our Alaska cruise but arriving at 7pm is quite tough but I would probably go out to dinner or similar.

Thank you everyone for all your comments. We too will be making the stop there this summer for the 4-5 hours after dark. I had thought just taking the double decker bus would show us some of the city. I think I am reviewing the situation now, including the Scottish pub!

When we stopped in Ensenada on our way back from Hawaii, we ended up arriving there around 6:00 PM and left at 9:00 PM. We opted to not get off then. I just assumed that this stop would be the same way but now. . . Thanks again!!

Yes, this is very different from Ensenada.

Victoria is safe and there is so much to do. Don't miss it.

I have been to Victoria 8 times now, and it is always a highlight of my Alaska cruises.

Enjoy:)

it really is a nice city that doesn't feel like a city. and its safe after dark so no worries. there are horse and buggy rides or trolly tours or kabuki pedal-cabs that can take you around the downtown sights. I'd offer to take you on a tour but I can't stay up that late. :)
)

:). Too much fun! Funny, too! I used to love the late sail away, post midnight, but I can't make it that late anymore, either:)

Pleasant dreams :). zzz

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Been there four times and haven't gotten off the ship yet.

Mike:)

OMG, we could spend days there enjoying everything - and you know we don't get off the ship at nearly all the ports in the Caribbean anymore. Victoria and Vancouver Island is wonderful! You have got to check it out! Glad you are planning on "changing your ways" next time - Mike, you will really like it!

Edited by ggprincess2004

I will be on the Golden to Alaska May 24th and made reservations on the Princess roundtrip shuttle to Victoria for $10. I have been to Victoria before but think this will be a nice nighttime opportunity for a short bus tour and evening pictures ( Empress Hotel and harbor) and our ship lit up.

Sali

We normally don't bother to get off the ship when it's such a short stay, but a couple of years ago we decided to book the Pub Crawl. I was cancelled due to lack of interest. So be aware that if enough decide to stay on the ship tours will be cancelled.

I will be on the Golden to Alaska May 24th and made reservations on the Princess roundtrip shuttle to Victoria for $10. I have been to Victoria before but think this will be a nice nighttime opportunity for a short bus tour and evening pictures ( Empress Hotel and harbor) and our ship lit up.

Sali

You can get great pictures, too, of the illuminated Legislative Building, if you just cross the street from the Empress Hotel:).

Click, click... :)

Enjoy!

OMG, we could spend days there enjoying everything - and you know we don't get off the ship at nearly all the ports in the Caribbean anymore. Victoria and Vancouver Island is wonderful! You have got to check it out! Glad you are planning on "changing your ways" next time - Mike, you will really like it!

I'm sure I could spend quite a bit of time there if it was a daytime stop but I just can't get excited about a short evening port.

If I am going to visit a city for the first time it needs to be during daylight hours.

Mike:)

yes, sunset mid-September is about 7:30 pm, right at disembarkation time. I love this city but if I was coming for my first time it would be disappointing that it was dusk/dark. it really is still pretty, but again--a stupid time for a port stop.

It is a BEAUTIFUL city at night! And SAFE! We always enjoy walking to town via the water front. Walking through the area where there are the houseboats and water taxi is a real treat. Canadians have this wonderful sandwich made with "Montreal Smoked meat." That, and a pint of local beer to wash it down, can be your reward for the walk into town and back.

As another PNW resident, I've BTDT and I don't bother. I've done 5 Alaskan cruises with stops at Victoria, and I have never gotten off the ship. If you wait until 7, the dining rooms are empty. The hot tubs are empty. We enjoy one last quiet evening on the ship.

Victoria is lovely, and if it's your only chance to see it, then go and enjoy. If I want to see it, I will hop on the Victoria Clipper and spend a weekend there.

Yes' date=' this is very different from Ensenada.

Victoria is safe and there is so much to do. Don't miss it.

I have been to Victoria 8 times now, and it is always a highlight of my Alaska cruises.

Enjoy:)[/quote']

I have been to Victoria and I agree that it is beautiful. However...with all that Alaska has to offer it is sad that you thought Victoria was the highlight of your Alaskan cruise. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

I have been to Victoria and I agree that it is beautiful. However...with all that Alaska has to offer it is sad that you thought Victoria was the highlight of your Alaskan cruise. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

I believe the phrase was "a highlight," probably one among several. I agree. It's a beautiful city--you really have to see it to appreciate it. Of course, it's not Glacier Bay, but those are totally different experiences, and both are highlights in my book. I like the contrast of wilderness and civilization on Alaska cruises, which is why I keep going back.

I love having a drink at Bard and Banker. It's a Scottish pub, with 30 beers on tap. They also make the best gin and tonic with mint, cucumber, and lime. The interior is an old bank that has been converted into a pub. They also have live music in the evenings, with no cover charge. Pack early and enjoy a couple of hours in port.:D Here's the website in case you're interested in going. http://www.bardandbanker.com/

This sparked my husband's interest. How close to the port is it and would we need to take the subtle into the city?

This sparked my husband's interest. How close to the port is it and would we need to take the subtle into the city?

I don't know where the shuttle drops you off but it is only about a 30 minute walk from the ship.

Address is 1022 Government St, Victoria. Google it.

Theo

We enjoyed our stop in Victoria! We made a stop in Madame Tussauds (is it even there anymore?) while waiting for a walk we had booked. It was fun for a one time thing.

We also spent some time at Fisherman's Wharf, stopping in a few shops there and getting some great photos of the Empress Hotel and the Legislative Building.

At about dusk, we met a group at the Visitor Centre and went on a Ghost Walk. I can't begin to tell you how fun that was.

I would have loved to have had more time in Victoria, but would not hesitate to get off for the short stop again

I believe the phrase was "a highlight," probably one among several. I agree. It's a beautiful city--you really have to see it to appreciate it. Of course, it's not Glacier Bay, but those are totally different experiences, and both are highlights in my book. I like the contrast of wilderness and civilization on Alaska cruises, which is why I keep going back.

Well said, shredie, well said. Thanks so much.

There are so many great things to see and do on Alaska cruises, including the wonders of Victoria:)

Thanks for your good words.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

We enjoyed our stop in Victoria! We made a stop in Madame Tussauds (is it even there anymore?) while waiting for a walk we had booked. It was fun for a one time thing.

We also spent some time at Fisherman's Wharf, stopping in a few shops there and getting some great photos of the Empress Hotel and the Legislative Building.

At about dusk, we met a group at the Visitor Centre and went on a Ghost Walk. I can't begin to tell you how fun that was.

I would have loved to have had more time in Victoria, but would not hesitate to get off for the short stop again

A Victoria here:

Sadly, Madame Tussaud's is now closed.

I agree,the ghost walks are fascinating.

I always think it's a shame that some ships are here for such a short stopover. This really is a beautiful city.

I agree with all those who say to just try it, the short walk (or shuttle) to the downtown inner harbour is guaranteed to get you to some lovely sights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A Victorian here:

Sadly, Madame Tussaud's is now closed.

I agree, the ghost walks are fascinating if you can connect with one.

I always think it's a shame that some ships are here for such a short stopover. This really is a beautiful city.

I agree with all those who say to just try it, the short walk (or shuttle) to the downtown inner harbour is guaranteed to get you to some lovely sights, and in between the tacky tourist shops we have some very unique shops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were there last May on our RT Seattle so it stayed dark a little longer. In fact, we were waiting around for the buildings to light up - they were beautiful! We took the Princess transfer in and the bus driver acted like a tour guide, pointing things out and telling us all about the area. We walked along the waterfront and were very entertained by the street performers. We poked around some shops and looked around inside The Empress. All in all, a very enjoyable and relaxing evening in a lovely city.

I, too, heard people say that they weren't going to bother getting off the ship, but we were very glad we did! More time in port would have been great, but we made the most of what we had!