Golden Princess

I have a hold on balcony cabin A243, I think it is 11 cabins back from the front on Golden Princess for her repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Sydney in Sept 2015. I have plenty of time to change the cabin if necessary but will have to pay quite a bit more.

Has anyone stayed in this one or near to it and can tell me if the rolling or anything else will be a problem.

Cheers:)

I have a hold on balcony cabin A243, I think it is 11 cabins back from the front on Golden Princess for her repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Sydney in Sept 2015. I have plenty of time to change the cabin if necessary but will have to pay quite a bit more.

Has anyone stayed in this one or near to it and can tell me if the rolling or anything else will be a problem.

Its a forward balcony cabin. Your directly above and below other cabins (not public areas or swimming pools) so that's good. You are close to the forward stairs, which is easy reach for Lotus spa/pool, gym, sauna/steam etc (2 decks up) but far aware from self serve Laundry. The rocking/rolling of the ship in rough seas will obvious be felt a bit more the further forward or Aft you are from center, so up to you if it's an issue (it's not for me). I'd be perfectly comfortable with the cabin, and if I have a choice between forward or Aft, I mostly prefer forward - as I can often feel/notice the vibrations of the engine when aft I have found, (maybe not so bad up at Aloha deck perhaps) - but still wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means.

How can you have a hold on it. The cruise is not officially on sale yet. You may have an arrangement with a travel agent but Princess certainly will not honour that booking until they officially open the bookings for that cruise.

I have stayed in A217 for 31 nights on Golden Princess and the cabin was fine.

I don't get bothered by any movement and find the location of forward and high more convenient. I try to avoid being in the so called centre of the ship as much as possible. Besides that 90% of people who book what they think is the centre of the ship really are not booking the centre at all because they fail to take into account the forecastle space and swept back upper bow structure.

I am already booked on the Alaska cruise preceding that repositioning cruise and will be booking it as soon as bookings are open. I will be looking at a forward cabin close to the bridge.

Hey KarateMan,

My TA rang yesterday and told me he had this cabin on hold until Monday for me to pay the deposit. If I don't pay then the hold will be taken away and he will have to book again.

is that with a US TA as i doubt any OZ agents would be booking it as yet

It would have to be a US travel agent. I had suspected bookings open on Monday. The cruise is still not showing on the Princess website for Australians.

If I turn on my VPN and go to a US server I will see if it comes up.

Besides if bookings open here on the Monday then it is likely most people will get in provided they deposit on that day.

None of my U.S people have it.......it's not showing anywhere...lots of cruisers waiting for bookings to open... did your sales consultant give you a booking number ???

Edited by badgerbill

I just made a booking on an Oz site. Just waiting for email for cabin. Picked the category :) have also booked the Alaska cruise before this one. Picked a Window suite for that cruise and very excited as never had one before cause I travel solo. But I want a balcony for the 28 days. Trouble is I have also booked the TA on the Regal from Copenhagen to NY at the same time and have to choose. Leaning towards the Golden :)

It appears to me that the Cruise "might" go on sale this Monday. The site taking the bookings probably has the good intention of making the bookings that very day in the names of all those that have put their name down.

I will have to wait to do direct with Princess as they have assured me a $100 deposit only thanks to cruising with them recently on the Golden Princess. I have until the 31st May to make as many bookings as I want at the deposit price of $100.

From there it can be transferred over to agents who can get cheaper deals. Princess has stated that they will match any price drop if I bring it to their attention.

Deposit being asked is only $100 which is different than normal. Sadly I have used all my future cruise deposits. Need to get more in September so was more than happy that this deposit is only $100 :) My Alaska through Princess was the usual 10%. Thought buying 2 future cruise deposits on last Princess cruise was enough. Silly me! Will get 4 this time.

It appears to me that the Cruise "might" go on sale this Monday. The site taking the bookings probably has the good intention of making the bookings that very day in the names of all those that have put their name down.

I will have to wait to do direct with Princess as they have assured me a $100 deposit only thanks to cruising with them recently on the Golden Princess. I have until the 31st May to make as many bookings as I want at the deposit price of $100.

From there it can be transferred over to agents who can get cheaper deals. Princess has stated that they will match any price drop if I bring it to their attention.

did you buy any Future Cruise Deposit as its better than any $100 deposits as you get the benefits that come with the FCD

I am recently off Golden Princess, 31 days around South America. We had an aft cabin on Aloha Deck, well, near aft lifts anyway. We did not get much pitching but a bit of trolley noise from Horizon Court above, early morning, like 5am and at night. I would stick with your forward cabin or go back a bit. Centre of ship is always best when she is pitching.

Above all, Enjoy !!

Well there you are.....early bird catches the worm or cheeky..... I see they have all her cruises loaded through to April 16. As we have already done the ports on her repo more than once, pricing is a major consideration for us so happy to play wait and see, pretty sure we will be able to get a much better deal if we hold off.. And we also have in

consideration the Explorer and the Legend..... way too many choices .... but not complaining....

Questioning online agency stating final balance due date of February 2015 for the September cruise:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by badgerbill

Think I got excited seeing it. I was going to wait until I got on the Diamond in October to book, that way I could buy and use a FCD :). Oh well I can still wait til then to book and cancel this one ha ha. Better safe than sorry !

did you buy any Future Cruise Deposit as its better than any $100 deposits as you get the benefits that come with the FCD

I received an email after the cruise with the same offer to purchase future cruises at reduced deposit under the same conditions as the ones sold on board. It is an unlimited number of deposits offer with deposits of $100 + onboard credit based on number of days. I have until the 31st May before the entitlement expires.

That's a nice incentive to cruise again (and again). Just the same as a FCD but without the longer 2 year expiry.

It would make you hurry up and choose another cruise, clever marketing.

My booking is with an Australian TA, I don't know about a booking number, I didn't ask.

when they send the confirmation email the booking number should be there, you need that to complete your booking summary on your personalizer

The booking may not be official or even a real cruise booking. The company in question may have every intention of honouring it but as at this stage the cruise is not on sale on the Princess website and their sales team cannot access it for sale. They have assured me on the phone that travel agents do not get first dig at the cruise and that the moment booking officially open Princess makes the bookings in order of people who book. They basically told me that travel agency will be on the phone to them the moment bookings open and be on the phone for several hours giving all the names that have "put a hold on with them"

I prefer to book my Princess cruises direct with the Line's website, simplifies things. I changed cabins 3 times on my last Golden Princess cruise without any dramas or costs.

That's the same day I remember being told 21st May. Princess said that no bookings are officially recognised until that day and that the passengers or their travel agents in question book them on that day. No one gets first dig.

As a passenger you probably have better chance getting up early and working the phone and getting though before the travel agents offices open.