Golden Princess

The booking may not be official or even a real cruise booking. The company in question may have every intention of honouring it but as at this stage the cruise is not on sale on the Princess website and their sales team cannot access it for sale. They have assured me on the phone that travel agents do not get first dig at the cruise and that the moment booking officially open Princess makes the bookings in order of people who book. They basically told me that travel agency will be on the phone to them the moment bookings open and be on the phone for several hours giving all the names that have "put a hold on with them"

So maybe the travel agency would like to explain why they are asking for a deposit on a supposed cabin hold when in actual fact the cruise isn't even available yet to sell....... OP was asked to pay deposit by today or loose cabin hold....scare tactics......hmmm not nice or ethical imo...

So maybe the travel agency would like to explain why they are asking for a deposit on a supposed cabin hold when in actual fact the cruise isn't even available yet to sell....... OP was asked to pay deposit by today or loose cabin hold....scare tactics......hmmm not nice or ethical imo...

It is not nice or ethical.

I don't doubt that the agency probably has every intention of making the booking once they open.

It is a massive gamble. Perhaps the travel agency will have to wear the upgrade costs when people don't get the particular cabin they wanted.

Don't pay your TA early, they just want to secure your booking and/or invest your hard earned on the short term money market.

As I suggested with Princess, book through Princess direct.

Above all, enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

That's the same day I remember being told 21st May. Princess said that no bookings are officially recognised until that day and that the passengers or their travel agents in question book them on that day. No one gets first dig.

As a passenger you probably have better chance getting up early and working the phone and getting though before the travel agents offices open.

I see that these cruises have now been released on the princess website. Does anyone know when the prices will be available? I am looking at the relocation Melbourne to Los Angeles in April 2016.

Chez

I just got my Princess booking number for this cruise. Also got the mini suite on Emerald with the extra balcony. So am very excited and some very nice OBC :). I had pre-booked with the site on the weekend (as I previously posted) and they came through with a great cabin.

I just got my Princess booking number for this cruise. Also got the mini suite on Emerald with the extra balcony. So am very excited and some very nice OBC :). I had pre-booked with the site on the weekend (as I previously posted) and they came through with a great cabin.

its not that site from OZ is it as they want the final payment 7 months before, i got the email today and i rang them up and they said its princess having a promotion....rang another online site and its the normal 10 weeks for final payment

I see that these cruises have now been released on the princess website. Does anyone know when the prices will be available? I am looking at the relocation Melbourne to Los Angeles in April 2016.

Chez

Not that I'm allowed to mention the name but I got an email from one of the biggest aus online agents today about the Golden cruises and they are quoting prices so I assume either they are speculating or the prices are released to the agencies before they appear on the website.

For your cruise they are quoting (and these are the entry level prices)

Mini-suite $10342

Balcony $6742

Oceanview $5379

Interior $3862

cheers

Stu

Not that I'm allowed to mention the name but I got an email from one of the biggest aus online agents today about the Golden cruises and they are quoting prices so I assume either they are speculating or the prices are released to the agencies before they appear on the website.

Mini-suite $10342

Balcony $6742

Oceanview $5379

Interior $3862

cheers

Stu

thats the same email i received and for that cruise departing 17/4/16 they want the final payment 16/09/2015....7 months out

Mini-suite $10342

Balcony $6742

Oceanview $5379

Interior $3862

cheers

Stu

Thanks for that information. I did ring Princess and they were able to give me price. I am travelling solo so have to pay the supplement and I only do balconies and they gave a quote of $14067 in the middle of the ship.

I am also looking at the Sydney to Hawaii return at the same time and by the time I add on the airfares for both (business) it works out about the same price. The Sydney to Hawaii one is 5 more days but an older ship. I really wanted to try golden thought so am in two minds on which one to book.

Chez

Paid the deposit yesterday, I don't really care what the TA does with it, short term money market etc, the amount I paid will come off the final payment, and he told me he will pass on any price drop from Princess if that happens. As long as I get a balcony for the price I have been quoted I will be very happy. I will not be paying anymore and if he is charged more from Princess them he will have to wear the extra. He is very experienced and has been in the business for about 15 years, so I usually book all my holidays through him and he gives me OBC to boot!

Cheers:)

i got the email today and i rang them up and they said its princess having a promotion....rang another online site and its the normal 10 weeks for final payment

Hi Bob i emailed and asked why i was expected to pay for a cruise in full 7 months prior to departure, they emailed back,

The reason for the final balance being due well in advance is due to the reduced deposit we are currently providing to our passengers.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

with ridiculous requests for final balance such as this .... I think it's time to remind everyone that the TCF - travel compensation fund is coming to an end on the 30th June this year so make sure the agency you book with has "insolvency insurance" in place, peace of mind for you just in case they go belly up with your money... :eek: it isn't mandatory that they have it so "buyer beware"

He is very experienced and has been in the business for about 15 years, so I usually book all my holidays through him and he gives me OBC to boot!

If he's giving you OBC, that is going to be costing him way more than any interest from the short term money market!

its not that site from OZ is it as they want the final payment 7 months before, i got the email today and i rang them up and they said its princess having a promotion....rang another online site and its the normal 10 weeks for final payment

It is that site. But the quote I got before the cabins came on sale today is less than they are showing now and $500 less than same cabin on Princess site. So am pleased with that. Having to hand over full price 4 months earlier than usual isn't ideal but happy with price and OBC and cabin. And I still have until Feb to decide between this b2b with Alaska or Regal TA. Just the thought of a cruise is exciting!! :)

Hi Bob i emailed and asked why i was expected to pay for a cruise in full 7 months prior to departure, they emailed back,

The reason for the final balance being due well in advance is due to the reduced deposit we are currently providing to our passengers.

with ridiculous requests for final balance such as this .... I think it's time to remind everyone that the TCF - travel compensation fund is coming to an end on the 30th June this year so make sure the agency you book with has "insolvency insurance" in place, peace of mind for you just in case they go belly up with your money... :eek: it isn't mandatory that they have it so "buyer beware"

Shiona i also asked the company do they honour price drops and they said it depends on the cruise line but any change to a booking will cost $100 admin fee (not sure if its per person) but i'll give them a miss

Shiona i also asked the company do they honour price drops and they said it depends on the cruise line but any change to a booking will cost $100 admin fee (not sure if its per person) but i'll give them a miss

IMHO a very wise decision. Barry :(

Thank you very much for this valuable information, Shiona. Since inception, the fund has paid out $65 million!

I would be very worried about a TA who requested full payment 7 months out.

I wonder if local TAs are now going to advertise that they have "insolvency insurance".

One of the things I like about booking with an overseas TA, is that all monies go direct to the cruiseline.