The balcony dream.....

Mytime2014

We are currently booked in an obstructed view on Westerdam in July. I am hoping for a reasonable upsell/upgrade to at least an unobstructed ocean view, preferably a balcony. I made the mistake of mentioning to my co-worker who is traveling with me that smoking was allowed on the balcony... [some day I will learn not to let everything in my head come out of my mouth]

I want a balcony. I don't really care about the smoke [heck, if they put narcotics or valium in them I might smoke] as long as it doesn't come in the room. That is her big concern - that we would smell it in the room.

If we were lucky enough to get a balcony and the people next to us smoked - would it permeate our room since we would kept the doors closed?

I want us to be able to respond ASAP if there is such an offer and I want to be able to reasonably assure her that the room is not going to smell like smoke - IF that is true.

TIA

The balcony doors close very tightly. I can't see how smoke-smell from another balcony would get in your room.

Even if you do not get an upsell or upgrade, you will STILL have an amazing time in Alaska. I've been several times, and have always had an inside or OV. It has not diminished my enjoyment AT ALL.

Just got back from the Alaska cruise and we had a balcony. The smoke doesn't come in the room if the balcony door is shut tight. Worst thing for us was that we had smokers on both sides which meant if one wasn't smoking the other was. By the 3rd night my husband was frustrated that we couldn't enjoy the balcony in a smoke free environment. Unfortunately nothing could be done because the smokers were complying with the rules. I'm not sure if your TA can tell if there is a smokers beside u or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The balcony doors close very tightly. I can't see how smoke-smell from another balcony would get in your room.

Even if you do not get an upsell or upgrade, you will STILL have an amazing time in Alaska. I've been several times, and have always had an inside or OV. It has not diminished my enjoyment AT ALL.

I know I will have a great time....just had a day yesterday when I wondered why on earth I signed on for this at this time. I let board angst and other stuff distract me. Right now I'm watching Westerdam Alaska cruise videos on YouTube - and getting my "want to" back. I don't know who 'ceejcooke' is but I'm glad he/she has a channel!!

We've never had smoke come in from the balcony - the only time we've had an aroma of cigarettes in the room, it's been in the bathroom. DH thought there was a fire somewhere, and we looked for our room steward - he sniffed and said someone was smoking in their bathroom and the smell was coming through the exhaust vent! Fortunately, we always travel with a small room deodorizer spray now, so we just spritzed the bathroom thoroughly! I don't know if there was any way for them to have discovered who was smoking in their bathroom.

Just a note of caution - if your co-worker is very, very anti-smoking or has a health issue making smoke smell intolerable - it might not be good to take the chance. You would both have to agree to the upcharge and if there were a smoker next to you, you would have to listen to 7 days of complaining. Is this how you want to spend this trip you have been planning for so long?

There are plenty of spaces on the ship to get out in the fresh air, away from smoke, and get a wider view. Error on the side of peace-making and save your $$ for excursions, souvenirs, good meals ashore - and another cruise!

I have a THEORY on smokers and balconies based upon my chain smoking sister. She wants an inexpensive cabin, but also wants to smoke, so she gets the lowest priced balcony cabin she can find. Location of the cabin is not important to her, just the ability to smoke.

So, my theory is that smokers are more likely to be found in the areas of the lowest priced balconies.

Of course I do not have any real data to back this up..........

DaveOKC

So, my theory is that smokers are more likely to be found in the areas of the lowest priced balconies.

DaveOKC

Not this smoker. We're always in a Neptune suite on HAL. On our NA cruise back in December we met one of neighbors and his wife while we were on our balconies for sail away. I told them I smoked, and if it gets to be too much to please let me know. He shook his head and said no problem. Smoke all you want. We'll be fine. I was afraid I'd get the "oh god he smokes" attitude but they were quite the opposite.

good point about agreeing beforehand [no desire to listen to how its not worth it!] - although if it was cheap enough - I would pay it myself and then I wouldn't feel bad about being the only one using it.

Either way, as long as I can find a place outside/Crow's Nest in the middle of the night all with be good. Insomnia is my constant companion and it is not fair to inflict that on a roommate who is able to sleep...

We are currently booked in an obstructed view on Westerdam in July. I am hoping for a reasonable upsell/upgrade to at least an unobstructed ocean view, preferably a balcony. I made the mistake of mentioning to my co-worker who is traveling with me that smoking was allowed on the balcony... [some day I will learn not to let everything in my head come out of my mouth]

I want a balcony. I don't really care about the smoke [heck, if they put narcotics or valium in them I might smoke] as long as it doesn't come in the room. That is her big concern - that we would smell it in the room.

If we were lucky enough to get a balcony and the people next to us smoked - would it permeate our room since we would kept the doors closed?

I want us to be able to respond ASAP if there is such an offer and I want to be able to reasonably assure her that the room is not going to smell like smoke - IF that is true.

TIA

You will Not be able to smell the smoke "IN" the room unless the smoker is standing on your verandah, at your door and it is opened.

Since this is one of those hot topics (Pun not intended) I will be happy to answer any of your smoking concerns via email but will not answer on the boards. To much drama when it comes to this topic:(

Joanie

AMEN! The hot topics the past few days had me rethinking the whole deal. I think M. is somewhat allergic or very sensitive to smoke [and other strong smells] so that would be a primary consideration. We'll see what happens.

maybe a balcony could be my solo cruise.

Seriously - Don't want it to be a smoking thread - just want to know if you can smell it in the room....

AMEN! The hot topics the past few days had me rethinking the whole deal. I think M. is somewhat allergic or very sensitive to smoke [and other strong smells] so that would be a primary consideration. We'll see what happens.

Seriously - Don't want it to be a smoking thread - just want to know if you can smell it in the room....

I understand her sensitivity to scents/strong smells!! There has only been one cruise that we've (read I) had a problem with and it was only on the verandah, one evening. The 3 ladies above us got ready for our first formal night and doused themselves in perfumes and then came out onto the verandah. I had to hide in the stateroom for about 5 minutes until they and their scents had dissipated.

So, basically, the scents might bother her on the verandah more than the other ... IF she is that sensitive to strong scents, then she should not be put in that situation. I'd say, Save the verandah for a solo or a cruise with someone else that is not as sensitive as M.:)

Joanie

I'm not sure if your TA can tell if there is a smokers beside u or not.
No. HAL might not even know, especially if they're first-timers. Or the cabins next to you could be still un-sold at the time you book.

Edited by jtl513

I have a THEORY on smokers and balconies based upon my chain smoking sister. She wants an inexpensive cabin, but also wants to smoke, so she gets the lowest priced balcony cabin she can find. Location of the cabin is not important to her, just the ability to smoke.

Of course I do not have any real data to back this up..........

DaveOKC

We book PS and SA cabins and yes there have been smokers next to us.

So the smokers don't always book the cheapest cabins.

I am very sensitive to smoke as well.

The doors do close tightly and we have never smelled smoke in the cabin.

Keep us updated on what happens.

another line that prohibits smoking on the balcony. Princess is much like HAL in itineraries and dining so that should solve the smoke haters needs, even Celebrity so then Carnival won't get your smoke free dollars.

another line that prohibits smoking on the balcony. Princess is much like HAL in itineraries and dining so that should solve the smoke haters needs, even Celebrity so then Carnival won't get your smoke free dollars.

At the moment i still do prefer hal. I do cruise with princess as well. I really wish posters would stop telling non smokers to go to another line. Would the smokers appreciate being told to stay home or go to an all inclusive if they want to smoke. Sooner or later hal is going to stop balcony smoking. Too bad they thought the wine policy change was more urgent.

Is HAL so great......another line that prohibits smoking on the balcony. Princess is much like HAL in itineraries and dining so that should solve the smoke haters needs, even Celebrity so then Carnival won't get your smoke free dollars.

Is HAL so great? I don't know - I've booked and paid for my 1st cruise. Its a long story. Because it is Alaska, I really would like a balcony but not sure my friend will want the potential exposure to smoke. In which case, I will be on the deck or Crow's Nest late at night.

I expect to cruise again - most likely be doing so out of Galveston or Houston so I don't have to fly...so the info about other lines is stored in my future needs file.

If I had an opportunity to cruise frequently, I would want to stay with a particular line that met my needs since the potential for discounts/special treatment increases with customer "loyalty". If someone is a 4 or 5 star with HAL - I can definitely see a reason not to want to jump ship and start over.

Is HAL so great? I don't know - I've booked and paid for my 1st cruise. Its a long story. Because it is Alaska, I really would like a balcony but not sure my friend will want the potential exposure to smoke. In which case, I will be on the deck or Crow's Nest late at night.

I expect to cruise again - most likely be doing so out of Galveston or Houston so I don't have to fly...so the info about other lines is stored in my future needs file.

If I had an opportunity to cruise frequently, I would want to stay with a particular line that met my needs since the potential for discounts/special treatment increases with customer "loyalty". If someone is a 4 or 5 star with HAL - I can definitely see a reason not to want to jump ship and start over.

Oh boy, I can't wait for the special treatment to begin:D;).

I would go for the balcony. First you won't smell smoke in the cabin, second you probably won't even have a smoker next to you, and thirdly, you will be using it at night, so I say go for it!

:p

You need a good cruise and quick!!!

I'm sure my next one will be good but I don't think anyone should expect "special treatment". I don't even know what that means. Could you explain? I find it so sad that people make judgements on someone because they didn't have a great cruise. A person shouldn't have to worry about being truthful.

I'm sure my next one will be good but I don't think anyone should expect "special treatment". I don't even know what that means. Could you explain? I find it so sad that people make judgements on someone because they didn't have a great cruise. A person shouldn't have to worry about being truthful.

I thought that the folks who got to 4 and 5 star Mariner got special perks/offers etc that 0 - 3 star do not get [that was strictly going by the HAL Mariner chart of benefits/perks]. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Edited by Mytime2014

Your cruise is bound to be good. We're getting on the day you depart, and our trips are always good, so it just goes to follow...