transfer from Auckand

We have been to Auckland a number of times.. sometimes by air, sometimes on a cruise and sometimes both.

I have always been amazed that there is not a direct transport route from the CBD to the Airport. It is a mess. All capital cities in Aust. have some sort of direct highway to their airports (even Hobart) and some even have a rail link. Auckland requires a cross country "trek" through almost back roads.:eek:

The Airport Bus as suggested will no doubt know the way:rolleyes:

cheers

Thanks so much for your help!! Since my flight leaves late, I am now looking what to do with that time. Too bad I have to return home but work gets in the way:(

If you do have a fair bit of time to spare, you could consider renting a car for a one way hire from the CBD to Airport.

Just about all the car hire coys have a depot not far from the dock area (e.g. The Strand @ Parnell) and you could hire a car that would take all your luggage, drive around and see some sights, then return car to the airport. I have done this several times and it is actually very competitive with the cost of a cab. Best to use one of the majors, (I use Avis) as they have a dedicated car drop off area close to the terminal. Others are a bit far away and you have to get them to drop you at the terminal ... no biggy ... but an extra hassle.

cheers

We were looking at using this to get from CBD to the Airport. Good to know it is a reliable transportation. Assuming many people travel on this with luggage?

There is a place to stow your luggage at the front of the bus, so it shouldn't be an issue unless the bus is very very full. We used it on a very busy night (Valentines day + Lantern Festival = near gridlock = delayed and packed bus) and had no problems with our luggage.

We have been to Auckland a number of times.. sometimes by air, sometimes on a cruise and sometimes both.

I have always been amazed that there is not a direct transport route from the CBD to the Airport. It is a mess. All capital cities in Aust. have some sort of direct highway to their airports (even Hobart) and some even have a rail link. Auckland requires a cross country "trek" through almost back roads.:eek:

The Airport Bus as suggested will no doubt know the way:rolleyes:

cheers

I guess you could do a cross country "trek" but why would you want to when you can go down state highway 1 then join onto state highway 20 which pretty much straight past the airport? Its about as direct as they come and I've done it oodles of times.

ScreenShot2014-05-21at114127am_zpsdb57885b.png

Also underway is the $1.4 billion link up of Highway 16 and 20 which will complete the motorway system in Auckland. Alice , the worlds biggest tunnel boring machine is chomping her way underground laying a concrete road and tunnel behind her.

I guess you could do a cross country "trek" but why would you want to when you can go down state highway 1 then join onto state highway 20 which pretty much straight past the airport? Its about as direct as they come and I've done it oodles of times.

Hi Kat

I have looked at that route before, but always thought that as it is so much longer, it negated the efficiency benefits over the more "direct" routes.

Glad that you have suggested it.:) I will next be in Auckland in December so will try it out.

Significant that directional signs seem to want drivers to take the "direct" routes. My Bro in Law now lives on the North Shore and previously at West Harbour.... he always complains about the inefficient routes to the airport...but then again he is an ex pat Pom :D

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I have looked at that route before, but always thought that as it is so much longer, it negated the efficiency benefits over the more "direct" routes.

Significant that directional signs seem to want drivers to take the "direct" routes.

All of the locals that I know use the direct "cross-country" route!

I would argue that the best route to the airport depends on the time of the day.

The cross-country (or more accurately, through the suburbs) route is probably the best during peak before and after work hours. It is still really busy, but less likely to come to a complete standstill in an accident since you can always detour down side roads.

The mapped route shown above is quite good during quieter times of the day since it is mainly all motorways and you don't need to be slowed down by traffic lights or busy intersections.

If you're anything like me when I'm trying to pick the quickest aisle at the grocery store, you're doomed to make the wrong decision regardless. :rolleyes: :D

I agree that Auckland needs better public transport to the airport. It needs better public transport full-stop. Still, what this city lacks in some areas, it makes up for in others.

All of the locals that I know use the direct "cross-country" route!

I think its partly because there is something counterintuitive about taking a route that seems to lead away from the airport - especially when the other is so prolifically signposted. But my experience is that the suburban route is confusing and can be very congested. I prefer the motorway - and the time it takes barely differs!

Also underway is the $1.4 billion link up of Highway 16 and 20 which will complete the motorway system in Auckland. Alice , the worlds biggest tunnel boring machine is chomping her way underground laying a concrete road and tunnel behind her.

About time! :D

I used to live in Mt Roskill so never had any complaints about getting to the airport ;)

We will be leaving the Auckland City Center Hotel early in the morning to catch our departing flight out of Auckland @ 9A on a Monday morning. Assuming we need to be at the airport no later then 7A for the International Flight, what is the recommended time and route to get to airport.

We are 2 traveling at this point but pending on the flight arrangements of our friends we could be 4-6 people departing for airport. Any recommendations on a private van shuttle company that I could get a price from that would pick us up at Hotel and take us to airport in a timely manner?

Thanks!