Hubbard Glacier access 2014

Donut23

I just returned from the May 30th Radiance of the Seas NB cruise.. We got very close to the glacier and had amazing views. The captain said we were less than a mile out. Very exciting!

I too was on that cruise..and yes it was within a mile...We were very lucky to have Captain Peterson on the rotation schedule.

We were on Radiance last week and were at Hubbard on Thursday, 6/19. Captain Goran Peterson was not only a great host throughout the cruise, but he took us right up to the glacier that morning. We were on the helipad by 7:00 or so, and as we kept moving forward towards the glacier were we stunned that he just kept going...more and more ice hitting the ship, lots of loud and exciting calving.

The weather could not have been more perfect, and that is always the gamble from what I understand. After one turn, the Captain said he had to move back a little, as the ice was getting too thick. He backed out just a bit and then did another turn. Simply amazing.

In speaking with a very experienced Alaska cruiser later in the day, she said that she had never seen the glacier as close as we were able to get that day.