Hubbard Glacier access 2014

Donut23

Last spring/early summer ships were stuck many miles from Hubbard Glacier because severe ice prevented them from getting close. The Cruise Lines get so huffy when they put little holes in their pretty ships!

Has anyone heard how Hubbard Glacier viewing is so far in 2014?

I'm going to try Alaska forums and Roll Calls for Early Radiance sailings.

Thank you!

It is super early to be asking! The season has just started. Has it even been a month yet? We went at the end of May and we did not get close because of all the ice. We could see the glacier, but it was far away.

Edited by kingsgirl

We made it right to the glacier last week , but a couple of days earlier the celebrity ship had to turn around , from what I understand it changes day to day

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It also depends on the Captain. Last July onboard Radiance, we could have gotten a lot closer than we did. There was hardly any ice in the water compared to 2 years earlier and on the earlier cruise that Captain (also Radiance) got us extremely close to the glacier.

Last spring/early summer ships were stuck many miles from Hubbard Glacier because severe ice prevented them from getting close. The Cruise Lines get so huffy when they put little holes in their pretty ships!

I'm going to try Alaska forums and Roll Calls for Early Radiance sailings.

Thank you!

The first northbound Radiance cruise departed on 5/16 - I am guessing they won't get to Hubbard until 5/22?

We are on the first southbound Radiance cruise departing 5/23 - I'll come back and let you know :D

It also depends on the Captain. Last July onboard Radiance, we could have gotten a lot closer than we did. There was hardly any ice in the water compared to 2 years earlier and on the earlier cruise that Captain (also Radiance) got us extremely close to the glacier.

Yes...it absolutely does..had the same experience...Captain Selvag = amazing.....Captain Borsheim = not so much...hopefully the captain starting rotation for our May 30th will be more like Captain Selvag.;)

We are on the first southbound Radiance cruise departing 5/23 - I'll come back and let you know :D

Oh please do, we're on Radiance late August and excited to hear everything about her and the southbound cruise.

We were on the Radiance southbound route August 10-17, 2012. We were very pleased that the captain was able to get the ship fairly close. We saw multiple calvings!

My wife got some excellent pictures and made them into a slide show for her website. If you're interested you can see it at the link below. Enjoy!

Radiance of the Seas Hubbard Glacier

Happy cruising. Alaska is fantastic!

I'm bumping this thread to page 1 to see if anyone from the May 16 cruise can comment.

Thanks...I always hope also that those just getting off will offer some feedback to those getting ready to board.

Can't believe this Friday (30th) is almost here :D:D

Thanks...I always hope also that those just getting off will offer some feedback to those getting ready to board.

Can't believe this Friday (30th) is almost here :D:D

Have an amazing sailing. :)

I was on the first northbound Radiance last week and was shocked at how close we got with the amount of ice. The noise of hitting it, the blue paint streaked ice passing under the cabin, it was crazy! We saw some calving and heard it as well. It was a great cruise!

I was on the first northbound Radiance last week and was shocked at how close we got with the amount of ice. The noise of hitting it, the blue paint streaked ice passing under the cabin, it was crazy! We saw some calving and heard it as well. It was a great cruise!

Fantastic! Thanks so much for responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are back after the May 23rd sailing - I thought we were able to get pretty close to the glacier. :D The distance/size is a little deceiving - but close enough to see and hear calving many times. We moved very slowly through the ice field and continued in until we were close.

The captain is currently Goran Peterson on the Radiance.

Bunmoing this to see if anyone else has been to the Hubbard this year and how close you are getting to the glacier. We were there in Sept. 2010 and got very close, but figured we may not be able to this year.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Bunmoing this to see if anyone else has been to the Hubbard this year and how close you are getting to the glacier. We were there in Sept. 2010 and got very close, but figured we may not be able to this year.

With several small earthquakes at Hubbard this morning, only reports from today will be any indication, as a great deal of ice may be in the water as a result.

With several small earthquakes at Hubbard this morning, only reports from today will be any indication, as a great deal of ice may be in the water as a result.

I believe the northbound Radiance cruise should be there tomorrow - it will be interesting to see if there has been a change.

The Millennium got in quite close to the glacier last week.

It was a warm winter and spring this year and there was very little ice in the water compared to the same time frame in previous years.

As a previous poster mentioned, how close your ship will get can depend on which captain you have as some are much better about getting in close than others.