Cruising out of New York City During the winiter

peterp

Has anyone ever cruised out of New York City during the winter? How is the ocean and motion? Is it too cold to swim on the Breakaway during the winter months?

I cruised from Bayonne, NJ a few years ago during Thanksgiving. The Celebrity ship I was on had an indoor pool so I used that the first sea day since it was still chilly out. I do not recall a rough sailing at all. I do not get sea sick.

I just got off the Breakaway yesterday. Had a lovely time!

Has anyone ever cruised out of New York City during the winter? How is the ocean and motion? Is it too cold to swim on the Breakaway during the winter months?

I was on Breakaway in February. On the first sea day, we had pretty good weather (maybe in the high 50s/low 60s?). The pools were heated and there were definitely people in them. Too cold for me to swim, but my dd loved it. There were people in the hot tubs before the ship even left port.

Coming back, the last sea day was pretty chilly, and even dd wasn't interested in swimming.

All in all a good trip in terms of weather. I think it is a bit of a crap shoot, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The Gem and the Breakaway, along with CCL's Splendor sailed year-round out of NYC, including the Fall & Winter months - and they sailed full. Yes, thousands sailed out of NY every week, during the winter weeks & frequently sold out especially around holidays & school breaks.

The BA's heated adult pool is not so big that even if 1/16 of the ship's pax decided to go in, nobody will be doing any swimming at all as it will be packed to excess capacity resulting in barely standing room only, if at all. It's fine to play in and very easy to bump into others while trying to do miniature laps - our local YMCA pools are better for swimming.

It's the Atlantic Ocean and motion is given, there's no way to forecast or predict - months/weeks/days ahead of one's sailing time how rough the seas might be - it could be smooth with wavelets or it could be gale force wind and 40 ft. waves, or somewhere in-between. Crossing from the warmer northern waters into the warmer tropical waters will usually bring a short period of choppy or "rough" sea conditions, generally lasting a few hours to half a day or overnight. We have well-conditioned sea legs and don't get sea sick, and to minimize it - book a midship cabin on the lower deck as those are best if you are worried. Bonine, patches & ginger, green apples, etc. are the usual counter-measures employed by folks.

I didn't think the breakaway had an adult pool?!

The main pool and hot tubs are designated by signage as adult. Although there were children in the pool and hot tubs. There were cruise staff in yellow shirts telling the kids to get out but was not consistently enforced.

We have done it at least 8 times in the past 4 year and we love it. The seas are a crap shoot we have only had 3 rough rides but they did not really bother us. I just love the convenience and especially the 9 day itinerary I also love the Hem which makes it even better

I sailed out on the Gem on a 9 day this past January. The seas were a little rough the first two days out, and although I'm one of those crazy people that likes to feel the ocean, it was not really too bad. It smoothed out after that. Obviously NY is cold as hell in January, but by day 3 we were in Puerto Rico and it was 80. :D It is a great time for a cruise in opinion!

The main pool and hot tubs are designated by signage as adult. Although there were children in the pool and hot tubs. There were cruise staff in yellow shirts telling the kids to get out but was not consistently enforced.

Huh?!? What pool are the kids supposed to use then?

I am not sure this is true on all sailings. I don't recall seeing any signage designating any pool as adult-only. I was on with my dd during Feb vacation week. In fact, when dd was in the main pool, staff just checked to make sure I was supervising her (this was shortly after the unfortuante accident where the little boy drowned), so they were clearly aware of children in the pool and were not just choosing to "look the other way." They were actively policing it.

I flew over Gem as it departed NY at pretty low altitude in winter. Top deck barely had any people on it. Mind you, I caught it when it was passing through midtown/downtown area. Did not notice anyone in the pool but I was too busy with other tasks in hand to really look.

Maybe ship wasn't really full?

We have sailed from the NY area (Bayonne) several times (usually in March) Can't say it is warm enough to swim, but have always been able to be outside at the pool, even if you need to wear a light sweater/jacket. Have never had rough seas but you can get those any time of year. Not having to fight the airlines and being able to drive to the port is a great advantage.

Don't be fearful to cruise out of the Northeast in winter!

I always figure to lose 1 1/2 days both ways in late fall and early spring. Just off Jewel in end of April and it was not warm enough until day 3.(though I like it WARM) Never sailed in winter but imagine it would be the same. A cool cruise still beats the heck out of time at home/work !

We sailed out of Bayonne in mid March this year. The first day out was too cold for the pool, but we were in it on day 2. Coming back, the pool was usable until the next to the last sea day.

It was a fantastic getaway, after such a lousy winter. No pun intended, we weren't on THE Getaway.

We sailed out of NYC in January 2007 to the Caribbean. By the next day it was warm enough to use pools that were protected from the wind. It does of course depend on the weather for your specific sailing date.

On the way back to NYC we did broadside a snowstorm (Nor'easter) and had some choppy waters, although compared to out-running Hurricane Sandy a few years later the snowstorm was nothing. ;)

Edited by Snowrose

Thanks to everyone for their input. This will be our first time cruising out of NY and was thinking ahead so booked a spa mini suite. Figured I would lose the first and last day but still be able to get warm in the spa.

Looking forward to sailing the Breakaway and avoiding airline travel for a change

I'd rather pay more and have a couple hours hassle and fly to a reasonable location. Freezing temperatures on a cruise out of NYC is just burning 2 or 3 days of a vacation.

Plus NYC cruises attract more NYC people. Take that for what its worth.

I'd rather pay more and have a couple hours hassle and fly to a reasonable location. Freezing temperatures on a cruise out of NYC is just burning 2 or 3 days of a vacation.

I agree with 1st part. Yes, flying places is a hassle. But I'd rather see more islands. Or be able to hop in a pool as soon as I walk on a ship.

I am from NYC myself. I took a cruise in December from FLL. Commute sucked, plane was late, with expected sweaty fat guy sitting next to me. But as soon as I got on a ship, I could put on flip flops, shorts, and enjoy myself outside.

2nd part of your post... NYC people get stereotyped a lot like loud, dirty, rude. It is quite opposite. Most people I deal with are sophisticated, polite, but guarded. Lack of personal space in NYC does have effect on everyone here.

To OP we don't cruise in the winter so I can't answer your original question. For sure you would lose a day and a half each way with cold weather.

To Vyhanek:

Glad to know you will pay more to avoid the hassle. Makes things easier for us New Yorkers. Thanks!

Happy Cruising!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

I agree with 1st part. Yes, flying places is a hassle. But I'd rather see more islands. Or be able to hop in a pool as soon as I walk on a ship.

I am from NYC myself. I took a cruise in December from FLL. Commute sucked, plane was late, with expected sweaty fat guy sitting next to me. But as soon as I got on a ship, I could put on flip flops, shorts, and enjoy myself outside.

I totally agree, and usually pack flip flops in my carry one but DH and DS begged and won on this one. I will never know I don't like it unless I try, so they are getting two on me mega ship and sailing out of NY in the winter.

After the first night or two you can swim. I was on the breakaway the week before Christmas out of NYC. After the first day or so, it will be 65-70 once your over the water. Just check Noaa's ocean air temp the week before you go. We got lucky. The day we came back to NYC it was 70 deg! The week before Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums