Nasal irrigation

snowmaiden

It is still treated. It is not deemed safe enough for potable water. I specifically asked this question for this reason.

Does this mean that Fort Lauderdale water is not deemed safe enough for potable water? I guess the folks in FLL would like to know that.

Do you think they take on water from an island like Dominica, and then send it through to passenger cabins immediately? Of course not.

Gee, I thought I was pretty specific about how shore water was handled. See previous posts about chlorination and isolation while tested for fecal coliform bacteria. How does this coincide with your claim that every drop of water on the ship is distilled?

If the specific hydrant that the ship uses to receive shore water does not have a certificate of testing no less frequent than every month, regardless of whether it is Dominica or FLL, the ship must sample the water before it even gets into the hoses, and this must be tested for bacteria, and this test done every 6 months.

Will, this is upsetting for more than one reason. First, I wouldn't drink the water when I lived in Fort Lauderdale 25 years ago; I certainly don't drink it now. It's just gross. To think that I was sending it up my nasal passages to dance with my brain cells is disconcerting times about 1000000. Especially as I specifically asked the question of the ship's doctor in the context of using the water for nasal irrigation. There was never a question about why I wanted to know. Now my conversation with the Chief engineer was part of a personal tour to some very seldom viewed areas of the ship. When I saw these systems you referred to, I asked the question again, was all the water distilled? At that time I was told that they did not have to take on water on that itinerary as the ship was able to generate enough on its own, so the answer was yes, for that itinerary but if they did, it was treated.

I could not figure out to warm the distilled water I had been given in jugs. I even considered ordering a teapot of very hot water and letting it cool a bit, but figured that introduced more handlers and more germs. That's when I asked and was told by the doctor it was safe to use the tap water.

Once you've done this using very warm water, it's hard to go back to room temp. Even the bottles of Simply Saline don't do it anymore. At home I boil the water and then let it cool; there's no way to replicate that on the ship.

My doctor has asked me to do nasal irrigation every day for a month to see if it helps me. I need to use distilled water heated up to right around body temperature and then add a packet of saline solution. I just realized that there won't be a microwave on the ship for me to heat up the water. I suppose I could use warm tap water, but I'm concerned that it won't be pure enough. I'm sure out of everybody reading this, someone else has dealt with this problem. How did you handle it?

(The devil on my shoulder is telling me to just skip it during the cruise, since I don't feel it's doing me any good and I really hate the sensation it causes, but I'm trying to listen to the angel on the other shoulder instead.)

Hi,

I do this all the time and have only used room temp water. Never knew that heating was an option :eek: