Has Summit really become that bad?

CruisingChick

Oh well! Day late and a dollar short! Hope everything is well with you and will see you again on the hight seas I'm sure!

Hi Jill, no worries, I was surprised that thread was still around since I started it 5 days before we left. Summit cruise was good. Of course no cruise is perfect, but food and service were good and we went to Bermuda.

Hope to sail with you guys again.

Anne Maria - you know there are some people you just can't please. how many celebrity cruises have we been on and they were great. we are going to have a great time on our cruise. those people complaining complain about everything. they just wish they were cruising with us. As h20cruzer said "Everything was great!"

OK, I do not complain about everything but I do tell it like I saw it..

I love Celebrity and I love the Summit.. BUT...

The assistant waiters have to go to Randevue Lounge to get their customers drinks. Our table was right as you enter the dining room so it wasn't a big deal for our assistant waiter but those with tables all the way in the back by the windows had quite a hike to the Randevue Lounge each time someone at their table wanted a drink. We all know how busy the waiters and assistant waiters can be even if no one wants a drink so that is an issue. We actually got into the habit of stopping at the Randevue Lounge before dinner and getting our drink ourselves even though our assistant waiter did it with a smile, we knew he was so busy and didn't want to bother him. If your a wine drinker they still have a Sommelier who was fabulous and always available. These are things you will find out for yourself when you sail and maybe you will realize that what we are bringing up valid points.

We were on the May 11 for the rollout of the new buffet idea and we didn't like for all of the reasons that people are mentioning already. The pizza was fabulous though. I Love celebrity and Im hoping that they get the buffet changes right at some point. If you choose not to see the changes and accept them than celebrity will implement them and Celebrity will not be in the class it has always been. it will be just like the other mass market lines and that would be a sad day because Celebrity always remained a cut above the rest, in my opinion. Was our trip on the Summit a bad one? Absolutely not, we had a blast especially with our CC group. Will I sail again? Yes we will in September for 14 days. I also have faith that Celebrity will get this right if they realize that its customers don't like the changes.

I was on the Summit May 4, through May 11. We had a great time. We had no complaints. Ship was in good condition, crew in my opinion was great. We didnt have issues with the buffet as others have indicated.

We were on the ship within 10 minutes and same for getting off. We didnt attend a lot of things so cant comment on activities. Kids went to kids club and had a great time. Our waiter and asst were great.

My only complaint if you could call it that is that in the dining room the asst waiter is now responsible for getting drinks for the bar if you want them. There are no bar waiters in the dining room. I feel that was a bad decision on Celebrities part, however with that being said our asst waiter was very good about getting our drinks. What it did do was put some of the work he would have done on the waiters shoulders.

I would go again on the Summit in a heartbeat.

Norma

I was on the same cruise you were and we had a great time. We had no complaints and I just booked another cruise on the Summit for next year. The food was great and we had a drink package and loved all the specialty teas and coffees. I did find it hard to get any cocktails though. They seemed to cost more than the drink package allowed but we enjoyed beer and wine with meals.

If you read my review, Summit was a nice cruise with a bad buffet. The May 11 sailing was lots of fun. There were lots of very nice people, good entertainment, fabulous food except in the buffet, great service except in the buffet, and excellent food. Weather was gorgeous. Calm seas with very gentle breezes. Bermuda was beautiful. I had a great time. After reading the boards, it became obvious that the changes in the buffet were new during my sailing. Change can be good....or it can be bad. It sounds like the Summit is working through the problems. Somebody posted that trays are back, food in the tin baskets is hot, and service has improved. That being said, the Summit is a buffet work in progress improving as time goes by. I would gladly sail on the Summit again. Nice ship, nice staff.

I was on the Summit May 4, through May 11. We had a great time. We had no complaints. Ship was in good condition, crew in my opinion was great. We didnt have issues with the buffet as others have indicated.

We were on the ship within 10 minutes and same for getting off. We didnt attend a lot of things so cant comment on activities. Kids went to kids club and had a great time. Our waiter and asst were great.

My only complaint if you could call it that is that in the dining room the asst waiter is now responsible for getting drinks for the bar if you want them. There are no bar waiters in the dining room. I feel that was a bad decision on Celebrities part, however with that being said our asst waiter was very good about getting our drinks. What it did do was put some of the work he would have done on the waiters shoulders.

I would go again on the Summit in a heartbeat.

Norma

We were on the May 18th sailing and I have to say we did not experience a problem getting drinks in the dining room. I agree with you I would go back on in a minute!! :)

I also take reviews with a grain of salt. I've gotten pretty good at figureing out which ones have legitimate gripes, and which ones are simply whiners.

I leave Aug 31 and can't wait! My last cruise was about 6 years ago on RCCL Aventure of the Seas, out of San Juan. I also saw a ton of very negative reviews, but didn't experience anything bad at all. I had a blast and loved every minute of it.

I also take reviews with a grain of salt. I've gotten pretty good at figureing out which ones have legitimate gripes, and which ones are simply whiners.

I leave Aug 31 and can't wait! My last cruise was about 6 years ago on RCCL Aventure of the Seas, out of San Juan. I also saw a ton of very negative reviews, but didn't experience anything bad at all. I had a blast and loved every minute of it.

I agree with you and truly plan on enjoying our August 10th cruise! However, I have read some negative reviews . Hopefully like you say, just a few whiners- and 99.9 percent of the people had a wonderful time and enjoyed everything.

Summit has made some changes with the new Hotel Director that just came on board sometime in April/May timeframe. Whether the directive has come from Miami or he has gone rogue on his own his changes are not for the better. Having said that let me give you my history this year.

Cruised Jan/Feb on Explorer of the Seas and was pleasantly surprised with how RCI has stepped up their game. Cruised Mar/April on Equinox for 11 day wonderful Celebrity Cruise and cruised on Summit May 18th not sure what cruise line they are with.

Having gotten off the Equinox which was a definite Celebrity Cruise in every aspect made me wonder where I was on the Summit weeks later. It was a cruise ship, it had the logo, yet the prices where higher on board and any thing I asked for the standard answer was NO.

I could go on with ad nauseam detail but anyone that has done a Celebrity cruise would understand these changes are creating a "me too" cruise line not Modern Luxury. This is not about the taste of food, or entertainment. The changes are cheap cut backs that if you do not book a suite or higher you will feel like you are in steerage. I believe Tuggers was seeing some of this transition on her excellent back to back Summit cruise in April and reported in her very detailed review.

I was planning on booking my DH's annual July b-day cruise but did not after seeing the changes. I will go back at some point but need to make sure that hotel director is not onboard. He put's the staff between the rock and the hard place with how he runs thing versus what is offered on the website. I was in CC and told my ice bucket was optional. I know the price of water has gone up but show me where the ice machine is and I will get it myself. This is one example of many and the rest I will take up with corporate. There is the outside chance they have no idea what this man is doing. :rolleyes:

Summit has made some changes with the new Hotel Director that just came on board sometime in April/May timeframe. Whether the directive has come from Miami or he has gone rogue on his own his changes are not for the better. Having said that let me give you my history this year.

Cruised Jan/Feb on Explorer of the Seas and was pleasantly surprised with how RCI has stepped up their game. Cruised Mar/April on Equinox for 11 day wonderful Celebrity Cruise and cruised on Summit May 18th not sure what cruise line they are with.

Having gotten off the Equinox which was a definite Celebrity Cruise in every aspect made me wonder where I was on the Summit weeks later. It was a cruise ship, it had the logo, yet the prices where higher on board and any thing I asked for the standard answer was NO.

I could go on with ad nauseam detail but anyone that has done a Celebrity cruise would understand these changes are creating a "me too" cruise line not Modern Luxury. This is not about the taste of food, or entertainment. The changes are cheap cut backs that if you do not book a suite or higher you will feel like you are in steerage. I believe Tuggers was seeing some of this transition on her excellent back to back Summit cruise in April and reported in her very detailed review.

I was planning on booking my DH's annual July b-day cruise but did not after seeing the changes. I will go back at some point but need to make sure that hotel director is not onboard. He put's the staff between the rock and the hard place with how he runs thing versus what is offered on the website. I was in CC and told my ice bucket was optional. I know the price of water has gone up but show me where the ice machine is and I will get it myself. This is one example of many and the rest I will take up with corporate. There is the outside chance they have no idea what this man is doing. :rolleyes:

If things aren't back to the Celebrity standards, I will cancel our 8/9/15 Summit cruise- We are in a suite this August, maybe we will get an ice bucket!

Summit has made some changes with the new Hotel Director that just came on board sometime in April/May timeframe. Whether the directive has come from Miami or he has gone rogue on his own his changes are not for the better.

Please tell us the name of the Hotel Director so we can also keep an eye out for him as well. Thanks.

Please DO call, write, or e-mail Corporate and let them know of your specific concerns -- including why you feel that this Hotel Director is not working up to Celebrity standards. If enough people do that, you will not have to worry about how to avoid sailing on ships with him again!

Edited by wwcruisers

Can you provide some detail as to what issues are different under the new hotel director? I'm curious to know what's changed in the "hotel" side, I only noticed changes in F&B and am curious to learn more.

Please tell us the name of the Hotel Director so we can also keep an eye out for him as well. Thanks.

Hotel Director is Raffaele Bernardini. He's been an HD for 9 years, and with Celebrity for 16.

I do hope to get some specific concerns from the poster who indicated a huge reduction in that side of things, as I have been posting about the changes in F&B and handn't noticed anything myself on the hotel side, and am curious to learn about that. I assumed they were not yet experimenting on the Hotel side awaiting F&B to be sorted.

Muy conversations with others on ship indicated Celebrity pulled together their "dream team" of staff to carry out the experiments on Summitthis summer with regard to changes, so hearing he's new also on summit lends support to that theory, and hearing people feel somethings slipped, makes me want to understand better what's changed on the hotel side.

I was in CC and told my ice bucket was optional. I know the price of water has gone up but show me where the ice machine is and I will get it myself. This is one example of many and the rest I will take up with corporate. There is the outside chance they have no idea what this man is doing. :rolleyes:

Ice buckets have been gone for almost a year now, if not longer fleet-wide. It has more to do with germ maintenance as anything else. Not having to clean every ice bucket ager every cruise makes turn around time faster and we get to cabins sooner, and can be assured the bucket was cleaned by the dishwashers.

I believe Royal Caribbean also now only provides ice buckets on request.

Many people don't use them at all, so one less object taking up space in cabin.

One simply needs to request ice on day one, and it is provided the rest of cruise. I did ask for my ice when I boarded and it was changed and filled 2 or 3 times daily.

It actually SAVES the staff some time by not having to fill every single cabin with ice 2 times a day, and only filling for those who have requested and use it.

My comment (and I put in my survey I just filled out yesterday from email as I read lots of people miffed about the missing ice buckets) is they should put a little placard or order form in cabin alerting you that ice is available on request, simply ask your cabin steward, much like the request for afternoon canapés in aqua and concierge class cabins. Let people know it's there if they want - just ask.

yet the prices where higher on board

Beverage prices increased fleet wide May 1 or so, specialty dining went up a couple months ago, Spa pricing went up when Canyon Ranch took over mid-April.

Yes inflation is happening all around us, prices will go up as well.

Hotel Director is Raffaele Bernardini. He's been an HD for 9 years, and with Celebrity for 16.

I do hope to get some specific concerns from the poster who indicated a huge reduction in that side of things, as I have been posting about the changes in F&B and handn't noticed anything myself on the hotel side, and am curious to learn about that. I assumed they were not yet experimenting on the Hotel side awaiting F&B to be sorted.

Muy conversations with others on ship indicated Celebrity pulled together their "dream team" of staff to carry out the experiments on Summitthis summer with regard to changes, so hearing he's new also on summit lends support to that theory, and hearing people feel somethings slipped, makes me want to understand better what's changed on the hotel side.

Just curious… Do you work in the industry?

Just curious… Do you work in the industry?

Not in cruising and no longer in hospitality.

I got my Bachelor's degree in Hotel Administration from The Ohio State University in 2001 which was a hospitality based curriculum with a specialization in the hotel side of things, with its core full of business courses. I had a few restaurant classes, and had to complete 3 internships as part of the curriculum (1 hotel, and 2 restaurants, and I also did a summer in Disney's Summer Co-Op Program). I worked for Marriott for 6 or so years, leaving to work for family when I had finally achieved Assistant General Manager of a hotel. I also "task forced" for Marriott opening their new properties and training staff, so all that is going on on Summit is actually very exciting for me to follow.

Somewhere on one of the threads about the Summit someone had said that their cabin, one of the new ones in the 1100's was a problem with getting too much sun and heat. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that could comment on them. It seems that these have no overhang at all above them and if you are on the "sunny side of the street" it could be too much. We are booked in 1105. My husband, in the past, has had sun stroke and my mission in life is to keep him in the shade as much as possible, and he likes to sit on the balcony. And, yes I did check the 'sticky' for the M-Class cabins Trying to decide if this warrants a cabin change.

Somewhere on one of the threads about the Summit someone had said that their cabin, one of the new ones in the 1100's was a problem with getting too much sun and heat. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that could comment on them. It seems that these have no overhang at all above them and if you are on the "sunny side of the street" it could be too much. We are booked in 1105. My husband, in the past, has had sun stroke and my mission in life is to keep him in the shade as much as possible, and he likes to sit on the balcony. And, yes I did check the 'sticky' for the M-Class cabins Trying to decide if this warrants a cabin change.

As the deck 11 cabins were added to the very top deck (in essence a whole new deck), I don't think they have any overhang whatsoever, so pending time of day there will be sun. There is certainly nothing above them.

I was on deck 9 under overhang (9040) so not much direct sun except for very later or early in day, and kept my drapes pulled to keep the cabin cooler, seems the A/C wouldn't cool below about 71 or so as best I could tell most times of the day, so keeping drapes pulled helped in the cabin.

As the deck 11 cabins were added to the very top deck (in essence a whole new deck), I don't think they have any overhang whatsoever, so pending time of day there will be sun. There is certainly nothing above them.

I was on deck 9 under overhang (9040) so not much direct sun except for very later or early in day, and kept my drapes pulled to keep the cabin cooler, seems the A/C wouldn't cool below about 71 or so as best I could tell most times of the day, so keeping drapes pulled helped in the cabin.

Is the AC a problem in all of the cabins? I heard the same about the penthouse/AC wouldn't cool down the room. Is there some reason deck 9 seems to have a problem with AC?

Is the AC a problem in all of the cabins? I heard the same about the penthouse/AC wouldn't cool down the room. Is there some reason deck 9 seems to have a problem with AC?

Best I can figure, the A/C is not really cabin specific on the M class ships where the S class seem to have more hotel style with small individual units in them. seems it comes from a central feed, and the cooling in the cabin is done by variable speed fan blowing over the cooled coils from a central passage. I say this as I noticed as i turned thermostat to cooler, i heard the fan speed up as I turned to warmer the fan speed decreased (as did the sound of the fan)

I also felt cooling was better at sea than when in port, as Summit spends lots of time in port that may be part of the issue. Like when you are in your car in a parking lot not moving the A/C isn't very effective, but when driving, it's far better.

nothing scientific about this, but what I determined just by pondering it in my cabin...

Mid you, I'm not satisfied until 67 degrees.....

Edited by cle-guy

Best I can figure, the A/C is not really cabin specific on the M class ships where the S class seem to have more hotel style with small individual units in them. seems it comes from a central feed, and the cooling in the cabin is done by variable speed fan blowing over the cooled coils from a central passage. I say this as I noticed as i turned thermostat to cooler, i heard the fan speed up as I turned to warmer the fan speed decreased (as did the sound of the fan)

I also felt cooling was better at sea than when in port, as Summit spends lots of time in port that may be part of the issue. Like when you are in your car in a parking lot not moving the A/C isn't very effective, but when driving, it's far better.

nothing scientific about this, but what I determined just by pondering it in my cabin...

Mid you, I'm not satisfied until 67 degrees.....

Thanks! I'm happy at 67, too. Did the public areas seem on the warm side?

Thanks! I'm happy at 67, too. Did the public areas seem on the warm side?

sometimes yes, others no. it was quite variable. I never felt "uncomfortable" or broke out into a sweat though.