Shopping and Eating in Venice

Diva Onboard

We are traveling to Venice the middle of June and are looking for information on how much things cost in general. How many Euros would you need for an average meal? How many Euros for a simple Venetian glass bracelet? And how many Euros for a cafe latte?

As you can tell, we are trying to determine our daily budget. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

We are traveling to Venice the middle of June and are looking for information on how much things cost in general. How many Euros would you need for an average meal? How many Euros for a simple Venetian glass bracelet? And how many Euros for a cafe latte?

As you can tell, we are trying to determine our daily budget. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Venice is quite expensive to be honest,but you can always check the menu's in front of the rests to see the pricing and it fits your interest.They have some good pizza places as well.If you are going to buy a Venetian glass item make sure it is made there as ther is a lot of glass itmes from China (just so you are aware of this and the pricing will reflect this as well).I can't tell you how much as it depends on the euro and what you want to spend at that time.A latte may be about2 euro depending on where you buy it.San Marcos is not the place to buy a latte though.It will be well worth the extra euro to get a really nice souvenir.

Prices will vary to a great extend, always check the menu first. A cafe latte in one of the tourist traps on San Marco square can cost you close to 10 EUR, whereas it will be quite a bit less in the side streets.

Edited by Alex71

Are you looking for eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, any or all?

One way to save money on your food is to buy some of the yummy panini you will see in windows of many bars. Ask for one that looks interesting to you, and take it to go or stand at the bar and eat it. Or, find a cicchetti bar (like a tapas bar) and sample some of Venice's antipasti. It's been a few years since I've been to Venice, so I can't help with any specific places.

If you sit down anywhere- even for pizza... you are looking at between 30-70 Euros for lunch. Dinner will be double 60-140 Euros with alcohol depending on how much you order.

The Venetians are not known for their cuisine. You are best to just go to a takeaway or standup counter for lunch (water and sandwich 8 Euros per person). Coffee will be 3 Euros.

If you want to slurge on anything- I suggest having a seat in St. Mark's Square at one of the outdoor cafes and have a ONE beverage (will be 10 Euros per person) during the battle of the orchestras after sunset. It's really worth the price of the drink.

My recommendation for dinner is to find a spot with ambiance along a canal. The food will be forgettable but it's really the experience of being in Venice and watching the activity in the canals.

The souvenir prices are all over the map. If you want a genuine Murano glass necklace, it will cost a lot. I was not going to pay that much to bring small gifts home to friends. But I easily found very attractive glass necklaces and bracelets for about five euros. Same thing with the theatrical masks. You can pay a couple of hundred euros for the real thing. Or you can find very attractive replicas for 10 euros.

On my last trip I found a little hole in the wall five minutes walk from San Marco that sold me a very acceptable takeout coffee for one euro. This fall, when we are back again, we will pay the exorbitant price to have a coffee and sit and listen to the orchestras. Because that's what it costs to have that experience.

You can pay a little or pay a lot, - it depends what you want. The best things about Venice don't cost all that much. Walking the little streets is free. The vaporetto (if you get a pass) costs very little per ride if you use it well, and there is no better tour of the Grand Canal than on the #1 or #2.

I brought about 200 euros for spending money for two days last time. I also had a card that I could use at an ATM if I needed more. And I had previously bought my vaporetto pass online. I bought a buncha cheapie masks and glass jewellery for friends back home (and they loved them). Ate and drank on the cheap, and spent about a hundred and fifty euros. Hope that helps

Our hotel included a continental breakfast each morning.

We went to Murano and ate at a small pizza eatery sidewalk café. The pizza was plate sized for 6 EUR. Unfortunately we ordered a coke as well. The coke was also 6 EUR and 5 EUR for sitting. So our lunch cost us 17 EUR each (I think). We had enough leftover that went back to the hotel with us for dinner that night.

Then we found a small shop on Lido that had sandwich, chips & drink for 10 EUR and we ate on a bench by a fountain.

Then we went to the CO-OP stores in Piazzale Roma and purchased chips, cookies, snacks for our last night in Venice.

We opted not to pay the high prices for a sit down restaurant. The ones we looked at all along the various streets would have been in the 50 EUR pp range for dinner.

We went to Murano using the Vaporetto pass, and as soon as you exit the boat, there are folks directing you to a glass blowing demonstration. The small horse we saw made cost 100 EUR on Murano. I didn't purchase him.

Then the next day near Rialto Bridge there are a lot of shops and stalls, where I found the horse for 50 EUR, so I bought him there. The sticker says "Made in Murano" but I have no way of knowing that for sure, but I know I purchased him in Venice.

Just a tip - take half the clothes you think you need and take double the money you think you need. We budgeted $4500 and the trip ended up costing us $6000 pp.

Not just in Venice, but in pretty much any Italian town: If you are looking for a good, relatively cheap lunch, walk as far as you can outside of the touristy areas, and keep an eye out for workmen going to lunch. If you spot a restaurant serving a bunch of builders in dusty clothes, that will be a good place to try. You should be able to get a two course (primo - usually pasta or risotto, and secondo - meat, or in Venice, maybe fish) working man's lunch, with water, house wine and possibly coffee for less than €20. Often much less than €20. And you can sit down. :)

Will it be haute cuisine? No.

Will there be any charming decor/atmosphere/ambience to enjoy? No.

Will the TV be on? Of course.

And will it be tasty, filling and budget-friendly? Yes!

Food prices vary wildly. And so does the quality! Be mindful of the fact that you can be charged a seating fee and for the bread basket they bring ( you can refuse it)

The best prices are at locals places .... around lunch time we'd find a large group of local businessmen in white shirts standing around a small 'pub' with a drink in 1 hand and sandwich in the other. These places were usually 3-4 blocks off the beaten path. We found a great pizza place nr Piazzale Roma. About 2 blocks beyond the Hotel Falier on Salizada San Pantalon. I think it was 5E for a slice and a coke. They had great falafel sandwiches too.

Souvenier prices vary widely also. I quit buying 'stuff' years ago. Most of it is made in China so look closely at the stickers. However, if I come across a nice watercolor somewhere I'll buy it; they're easy to transport then I frame it when I get home. I have purchased a few from Venice during trips there .... ranging from my favorite 1E picture bought near Piazzale Roma, to 50E.

After dusk the orchestras start to play in St. Marks's Square. There are two of them- one on each side of the square. 9 PM they should start up normally. The restaurants set up tables and chairs in the square and waiters will come out to take your order. A coke, coffee or "aperitif" will run you 10 Euros minimum. So just be forewarned. This is not the place you want to sit and get sloshed and you won't save any $$ getting bottled water or coke. You pay to sit there basically and you HAVE to order a drink to sit there or they'll not so politely tell you to get up. That's why you will see so many people sitting on the sidelines- and against the walls. Those chairs are primo- but you only live once!

I wanted to mention that Venice is home to Opera and if you can find a place to hear Opera music- do so. It is fabulous. We stayed at the Hotel Metropole one year. My son and I were playing checkers in the lounge and around 8PM- two Opera singers waltzed in and we played checkers to live opera. Very wonderful experience. Venice at night is a different world from by day. Not crowded and VERY romantic.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Unlike the US; everything is ala carte. If you order a coke, it will cost 4-7Euros depending on where in Venice; there are no free refills. A 10-12" Margharetti Pizza, which is sauce, cheese, tomatoes and basil; will run 9-12 Euros. Hope this helps.

We tried to do all our eating and drinking off the beaten path and it was alot cheaper. Had dinner one night canal side at Trattoria da Giorgio ai Greci. The trick i found is to look for the tourist menu. At this restaurant they have a section for tourists in many languages and its a nice deal, Paid 44 euros total for two and it included antipasti a main dish and dessert. The food was very good for the price. But beware as they wont tell you about that part of the menu.