Thoughts From Our Recent Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Southampton to NYC

Keith1010

From my observations (on a number of voyages), Cunard offers a variety of evening entertainments during any voyage--some which we have liked, some we haven't, and some we have chosen not to see.

My feeling about May 9th crossing was that evening entertainment was within the normal range of Cunard offerings---nothing especially phenomenal and nothing especially terrible.

Other aspects of the crossing were definitely cranked up a notch as part of the anniversary celebration.

All and all, DH and I were pleased and happy with our shipboard experience--and especially pleased by the sail-away entertainment, the daytime speakers, and staff's efforts in the dining room.

Roy Walker is a comedian?:confused:

He is quite funny the first few times but when seen about 10 times you feel different. The jokes were exactly the same and seemed in the same order. Contracts should stipulate something like a 10% change per booking as it is money for old rope over all these years. Presumably it has not occurred to Cunard they have repeat passengers!

I am constantly amused by those who sail on QM2 seeking to emulate the crossings of the golden age of liner travel when the only evening entertainment was each other. People had drinks, conversed, played cards. Today they need shows. Not just shows, but SHOWS, most of which are third rate. Give me the good old days!!!!

I am constantly amused by those who sail on QM2 seeking to emulate the crossings of the golden age of liner travel when the only evening entertainment was each other. People had drinks, conversed, played cards. Today they need shows. Not just shows, but SHOWS, most of which are third rate. Give me the good old days!!!!

I am not sure to whom this comment is aimed. I certainly don't want to emulate the golden age of liner travel with no entertainment, no stabilisers and no ensuite facilities, not even in first class. I don't want any classes, just comfortable cabins, good food, reasonable entertainment and to be able to travel from the US Ito the UK in style and comfort, even luxury, with no jet lag. Simples!

Hi Keith1010 - Just finished reading your wonderful description of your recent QM2 crossing. Thanks for taking the effort. I must admit I was a bit confused about the 'September 2014' as we are sailing in August 2014, but found your correction - thought for one horrible moment, I'd slept through it! We are on Deck 8 aft, although from the shape of the ship it is classed mid-ship. How would you rate that position (bit late now I suppose)!

We have never sailed in such a large ship, preferring smaller ships, but this is something we wanted to try. The main design problem in a lot of QM2 'suites' is the shower over the bath - don't want to think of what could happen in rough seas for those not as agile as they once were. I'm not sure how many balcony cabins with a separate shower there are, but none were left when we booked, so finished up in a 'disabled' suite - huge!

Haven't tried Crystal yet, but presume they are similar to Regent and Silversea. I must admit I don't like the idea of having to pay for water!

Again, great review.

Edited by Down Under

wirpro, your comments struck a cord; I never sailed during the "golden age of liner travel", but what you described as the golden age of travel is a reasonable facsimile to what I've experienced on QM2. I confess: 12 voyages, and I've never see a theatrical production on board. But I have really enjoyed the reviews of the show given by my tablemates (more often than not, seriously funny!)

Anyway, passengers have a choice...going to the show or the Ball is not compulsorily.

Cheers,

Salcaia

Hi Keith1010 - Just finished reading your wonderful description of your recent QM2 crossing. Thanks for taking the effort. I must admit I was a bit confused about the 'September 2014' as we are sailing in August 2014, but found your correction - thought for one horrible moment, I'd slept through it! We are on Deck 8 aft, although from the shape of the ship it is classed mid-ship. How would you rate that position (bit late now I suppose)!

We have never sailed in such a large ship, preferring smaller ships, but this is something we wanted to try. The main design problem in a lot of QM2 'suites' is the shower over the bath - don't want to think of what could happen in rough seas for those not as agile as they once were. I'm not sure how many balcony cabins with a separate shower there are, but none were left when we booked, so finished up in a 'disabled' suite - huge!

Haven't tried Crystal yet, but presume they are similar to Regent and Silversea. I must admit I don't like the idea of having to pay for water!

Again, great review.

Thank you for your nice comments about the review.

I am not sure how mid ship the aft rooms would be on deck 8.

We had a combined shower/bath tub. We prefer just a shower.

Just like the QM2 is unique I think you would also find differences between say Crystal and some of the other luxury lines. Hopefully, at some point with the right itinerary you can give Crystal a try.

Best to you.

Keith

We have sailed twice in the Princess Grill and would wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

We are contemplating the first sector of next year's world cruise on QM2 or Crystal Serenity

One transits the Suez Canal and the other Panama - so the itineraries

are equally attractive.

So it boils down to the ship - which would you recommend?

Mickb, they would be both nice. I think your challenge with the Serenity is that next year is now all wait listed and that included any booking for individual segments or the full 2015 World Cruise.

I would recommend at some point trying Crystal.

Keith

Thank you Keith - our TA forgot to tell us that!!!!!

My sentiment is that I like the idea of the smaller ship but still think the QM2 grill experience is way better than Seaborne or RSSC.

The trouble for me is that there are just too many people on board!!!!