Never again!!

• 1 year later...

I think part of the issue is that rooms that allow 4 to a cabin that normally have just 2 will have 4 so that the capacity is maxed out, add to that irresponsible parents and a ships crew that is unwilling/unable to enforce the rules and you can have issues.

For me if I could cruise a different week I would and if not then pick a ship with fewer 4 person cabins or does not offer discounts for children or more than 2 in a cabin.

With cruising it is always best to do your homework as much as possible.

I like TA's because you have more time to enjoy the ship amenities and there are fewer children, but you have more people in scooters :)

I have seen the advertisements. They (Royal Caribbean) say in their adverts that you can come on a cruise, the kids will be entertained by us, and you can relax. That is what they are offering. Then you blame the parents when they take RC up on their advertised offer.

We have done a January summer holidays cruise out of Australia, and we were told there was 770 under 18s on Radiance, so about 1/3 of the passengers. It was messy and grubby.

NEVER AGAIN for us too. Give me an older crabby demographic any time. They don't clog up the whirpools for hours with twice the capacity, they don't sit in the elevators for hours....We enjoyed our cruise, but, no, never again.

Oh no....this isn't Royals fault -- don't blame the cruise line. We cruised with a family that had a 9 year old. There were plenty of children on the cruise and Adventure Oceans (AO) was very busy....our friend did allow their daughter to spend time with them and not in Adventure Ocean....but never was the 9 year old, 'on her own'. She also knew what was acceptable behavior and what was not....and I am sure displays the same behavior on whatever kind of vacation they go on, not just on a cruise ship.

Royal does provide activities that are staffed for children of all ages. Our friends daughter had a great time when she participated in AO activities and also enjoyed being with her parents on the ship as well.

It is the PARENTS who are at fault for how their children act and behave, not the cruise line.

I wouldn't cruise in spring break OR summer. Not unless I booked so far in advance that the prices weren't crazy. $1,000 pp for an inside cabin for 4 nights is not my idea of a deal.

Edited by cruisevv

I cruise when it is convenient for me.....and can't worry about whether it is summer or Spring Break or another type of holiday.

I have seen terribly unruly grown ups, drunk as could be misbehaving as if they were crazy and teenagers who have no supervision. Both can be reported to Guest Services and security can deal with them.

For me it is MY vacation and I will find the cruise that fits me, and go on it....fits my schedule and my price. As Porky Pig would say at the end of a cartoon -- That's all Folks (that I can do -- as I like to add).

This whole thread explains to me how a 10 year old girl drowned in the pool on Norwegian last week. What are these parents thinking? I never let my grandchildren out of my sight when they are with me! I don't think my children, who are the parents, do either.

I will never again go on a cruise near Easter aka spring break. We went the week before Easter. I have never seen a ship so crowded! On our first day by 10:00am every single lounge chair was taken on every deck all the way around. The pool was filled with 6-10 year olds jumping in on top of each other, no parent in sight. I did notice 4 different kids with a fresh cast on their arm by day three. I don't mind kids. I knew there would be kids. I just expected the kids to bring their parents. I had two teens with me. There was a small percentage of teens on this sailing. No trouble with the teens. One evening around midnight there was a gathering of @ dozen kids sitting on the stairway that looked to be 8-10 years old. No parents! I guess mom and dad are at the club. After all..... it is their vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best line award!! made my day thank you!!

We always try to cruise off season, mostly to get away from the snow!! We try to avoid holidays, summer months and spring break.

This whole thread explains to me how a 10 year old girl drowned in the pool on Norwegian last week. What are these parents thinking? I never let my grandchildren out of my sight when they are with me! I don't think my children, who are the parents, do either.

Do you have the information / link regarding this tragedy?

This thread has little to do with the specifics of the very tragic event that happened on board the NCL ship. Drowning can happen at any public pool, beach, lake, stream or any body of water.

It can happen even if parents are right there, but don't know how to respond or are slow to respond.

Bad behavior on the part of children is not the cause of drowning -- but it surely can cause accidents that can be avoided.

I will never again go on a cruise near Easter aka spring break. We went the week before Easter. I have never seen a ship so crowded! On our first day by 10:00am every single lounge chair was taken on every deck all the way around. The pool was filled with 6-10 year olds jumping in on top of each other, no parent in sight. I did notice 4 different kids with a fresh cast on their arm by day three. I don't mind kids. I knew there would be kids. I just expected the kids to bring their parents. I had two teens with me. There was a small percentage of teens on this sailing. No trouble with the teens. One evening around midnight there was a gathering of @ dozen kids sitting on the stairway that looked to be 8-10 years old. No parents! I guess mom and dad are at the club. After all..... it is their vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You couldn't PAY ME to cruise during spring break! :p

I recently sailed the week of Easter. It was more kids on the ship and I have sailed the traditional time for college Spring Break. I find that the kids (college or grad schoolers) are not as problematic as older adults. True the deck chairs are a loss so I either choose ships with an adults only solarium or book a balcony. Better sailing.

Not specific to school holidays, but something that always puzzles me when I'm cruising is seeing children in the whirlpools, or adults with alcohol.

In Ireland (and England that I've seen), whirlpools always have signs up saying that whirlpools are not suitable for children under 16. For adults, the maximum recommended time in a whirlpool is 15 minutes, and alcohol should be avoided for 90 minutes before and after. There are also other health and safety regulations, but these are the ones I see being "broken" all the time on cruise ships.

Are these not regulations in other parts of the world, or are people not aware of them, or are they just ignored?

The thing is College spring Breaks start in late Feb and run into late March . I googled as we cruised on March 1st and Colleges are so random. we had a ship quite full of college kids. Then we hit a AI hotel in the Bahamas and it was packed with spring breakers. Never had a problems just several party people .