NO Balloons Port of Miami... Any other Ideas?

Elaine515

So, Poppy only knows about 5 of us cruising out of the Port of Miami... The rest of the family (10 more) will be waiting for us in the VIP Room and yell SURPRISE (it will be Poppy's 85th birthday) .. I was going to purchase some balloons as I thought that would be a great idea BUT I was just told that balloons arent allowed :(

Has anyone ever seen balloons at the Port of Miami or does anyone have a different idea? The 10 family members will be in the VIP and we'll be in constant communication to make sure they get there first and then we'll walk in and besides everyone yelling SURPRISE, what can / should we do?

Yes, I already ordered the room decorations and the cake and I will ask John for 2 tables next to each other in the dining room.. It's so hard getting the whole family together I want to do everything we can to make it a fun weekend trip....

Make a sign for him.

Hope this helps :D

Throw streamers and confetti!

I'd either have a sign made up or a banner. Not so sure about the streamers and confetti. I don't think the staff working at the terminal would be too happy about cleaning up the mess.

A friend of mine took a previous photo of her boyfriend, made it black & white, blew up the face, cut it out, copied it, put it on cardboard pieces, and then put his face on tongue depressors and then everyone held up his face in front of their own face. She cut tiny holes in the small part of the irises so people could see him walk in. You could dress up the faces too, mark on them, tattoos, eyeglasses, put paper hats, feathers.

Get everyone t-shirts with Poppys Pic and have it say Poppys 85th Birthday Cruise and the dates you all are going... He would love that and it would be a keep sake for everyone going...

Good idea! When all the other guests see the group wearing the T-shirts, he'll get lots of birthday wishes too.

So, Poppy only knows about 5 of us cruising out of the Port of Miami... The rest of the family (10 more) will be waiting for us in the VIP Room and yell SURPRISE (it will be Poppy's 85th birthday) .. I was going to purchase some balloons as I thought that would be a great idea BUT I was just told that balloons arent allowed :(

Has anyone ever seen balloons at the Port of Miami or does anyone have a different idea? The 10 family members will be in the VIP and we'll be in constant communication to make sure they get there first and then we'll walk in and besides everyone yelling SURPRISE, what can / should we do?

Yes, I already ordered the room decorations and the cake and I will ask John for 2 tables next to each other in the dining room.. It's so hard getting the whole family together I want to do everything we can to make it a fun weekend trip....

Elaine, we won't be on the cruise with you but add our birthday wishes for him. We met him last year on the Breeze with you and your mom and Doug.

Have a great cruise in celebrating a milestone for your dad.:)

You can have banners made at walmart these days with photos or just words...customized how you want! Everyone could hold that up and be wearing personalized tshirts as well...or

you could each make your own personal sign for him and list adjectives that that person thinks describes him ( use a tagboard or something similar so he could keep it or frame it) put photos of him and the maker of each sign on there...just some ideas...:D

Instead of a big surprise, sneak attack on his butt. Several years back, we surprised an uncle at the airport. One by one we walked up to him. After about 5 or so, he didn't know what to think. When the last one finally met him, he was still looking around for the next two hours looking for the next one.

Wish we were going to be there to help you with the surprise.

Maybe get everybody else into the act.

Edited by HawkIVette

Get everyone t-shirts with Poppys Pic and have it say Poppys 85th Birthday Cruise and the dates you all are going... He would love that and it would be a keep sake for everyone going...

Great idea. Then get one that says "I am Poppy" and have it ready for him to slip on when he gets there. And have shirts ready for those with him. Would make a cute embarkation picture.

Unfortunately we dont really have time to make t-shirts and I was threatened with woman overboard by family members if I did make t-shirts lol

I really like the noise makers, signs and bubbles... Wonder if bubbles are allowed ? Really cool ideas coming.. Thanks everyone.. luv this... Keep your ideas coming...

Wonder why balloons are not allowed ???? :( :( :(

Unfortunately we dont really have time to make t-shirts and I was threatened with woman overboard by family members if I did make t-shirts lol

I really like the noise makers, signs and bubbles... Wonder if bubbles are allowed ? Really cool ideas coming.. Thanks everyone.. luv this... Keep your ideas coming...

Wonder why balloons are not allowed ???? :( :( :(

Don't do bubbles, we just had that thread about them.

The t shirt was the best, sorry you have poopers in the bunch.

Not to rain on your parade but remember, you will be in the VIP lounge with a lot of other complete strangers. They might frown on anything you do that makes noise or has bubbles floating down on them. There may also be sleeping babies in there that would be frightened by a group yelling "SURPRISE!".

It would be nice if you could somehow sneak all of the group into his cabin and surprise him there.

Don't do bubbles, we just had that thread about them.

The t shirt was the best, sorry you have poopers in the bunch.

YES I do have a bunch of poopers in my family but I'm stuck with them... lol

Not to rain on your parade but remember, you will be in the VIP lounge with a lot of other complete strangers. They might frown on anything you do that makes noise or has bubbles floating down on them. There may also be sleeping babies in there that would be frightened by a group yelling "SURPRISE!".

It would be nice if you could somehow sneak all of the group into his cabin and surprise him there.

Actually I was thinking quite the opposite.. I want everyone in the room to get in on it and yell SURPRISE and join in... If bubbles are allowed, I would even purchase a whole bunch of those little bottles and have them handed out to those who want to "play" with us.. Plus, on a 3 day weekend cruise on the Ecstasy, and I could be wrong, heck, it wouldnt be the first time!!!, I would think that the VIP room would be less crowded than normal but that the passengers there would be ready to parteeeeeee????

We did also talk about surprising him once on the ship but then my Mom really wants all of us in the boarding picture (yup, she also wants Saturday night formal too :( ) ...

Edited by Elaine515

We did the tee shirts for my father a few years ago. I forget what they said, but his indicated that he was the one being honored. It was something like we are here for Tony's 90th birthday and his said I am Tony. We also told John and the Maitre D' announced to the MDR that my dad was 90 and when the waiters sang Happy Birthday everyone sang along. You wouldn't believe how many people came up to him to congratulate him. He loved every minute of it.

Although we had all been on many cruises, I think that one was his favorite. He lived to be almost 98 so we were really blessed to have him that long. Oh, all the memories!

We did the tee shirts for my father a few years ago. I forget what they said, but his indicated that he was the one being honored. It was something like we are here for Tony's 90th birthday and his said I am Tony. We also told John and the Maitre D' announced to the MDR that my dad was 90 and when the waiters sang Happy Birthday everyone sang along. You wouldn't believe how many people came up to him to congratulate him. He loved every minute of it.

Although we had all been on many cruises, I think that one was his favorite. He lived to be almost 98 so we were really blessed to have him that long. Oh, all the memories!

I hope the OP keeps it down to a more personal level with boarding. Your scenario is nice.

The OP is clearly excited, but at this point of the cruise I feel it should be a more personal event.