dilemma about the RC snorkel tour

I would love to go however i have an issue with my belongings. Rolex, cash credit cards , passports ,sunglasses,iphone where do you put these things while snorkeling. i know it sounds paranoid but i had my iphone taken on a vacation before.

( and yes i will need all those things leaving the ship)

i asked in the ask a question thread but didnt get a satisfactory response really .maybe some here would have experienced this.

Edited by Harooni

I would love to go however i have an issue with my belongings. Rolex, cash credit cards , passports ,sunglasses,iphone where do you put these things while snorkeling. i know it sounds paranoid but i had my iphone taken on a vacation before.

( and yes i will need all those things leaving the ship)

i asked in the ask a question thread but didnt get a satisfactory response really .maybe some here would have experienced this.

A waterproof snorkeling bag is a really useful tool for protecting your valuables from theft. It is not a good idea to leave your keys, money, ID or cell phone on the beach or in your car parked at a beach. More and more beaches are having problems with car break-ins. Strap on a waterproof waist pack and you don't have to worry about it.

We have used a waterproof box with a waist strap for years whenever we are in public areas and entering the water from the beach.

These are the things we keep in our waterproof case:

Money

Passports

Small wallet

ID

Rental car keys (the electronic ones are very expensive to replace)

iPods

Won't advertise on here , but google snorkeling waterproof bags and you'll see a bunch of ideas

Hope this helps

It is best not to wear/bring anything valuable, like an expensive watch or jewelry. We leave these things secured in the cabin. My husband uses a plastic water wallet for a few credit cards, his license, and a few dollars. You can purchases a water tight pack for the phone and take it with using a wristband or placing it in a swim trunk pocket. My sunglasses go in my beach bag, passport stays on the ship, I pad stays on the ship. I just received a "real" camera that is waterproof ( not just those disposable boxes) so that goes in the water with me. Clothes, shoes etc. stay in my beach bag in the boat or on the beach.

good luck and enjoy

M

Your Rolex should be waterproof:) mine is!!

I have a waterproof over the shoulder style pouch and double bag cards cash

Etc into double zip locks

Works for me

yes waterproof however i dont like to go underwater , maybe the hot tub with it on thats my extent.

thanks ill look into bags however not sure i trust it protecting my phone,

and others as i said yes i will need all those things, why would i go off the boat with no cash credit cards ids sunglasses ect?

yes waterproof however i dont like to go underwater , maybe the hot tub with it on thats my extent.

and others as i said yes i will need all those things, why would i go off the boat with no cash credit cards ids sunglasses ect?

RTFM, :) I understood you and your request that all was needed ashore :D

In all seriousness the Rolex will be fine, most are tested to 10,000ft

If you wanted to exchange up, go for the oyster 44mm Deepsea, all Pro divers

Who have the option use this

Happy Days

And Happy Snorkelling, watch out for the little box jellyfish!!! Sting like hell

quote]

Lifeproof makes a waterproof case that you can take in up to 6 feet of water. You can buy one of those and then put it in waterproof bag just to be extra cautious (which it sounds like you are).

Leave your I Phone... expensive watch and jewelery in the safe on the ship. You are going on a 3 hour tour??? You do not need an I Phone while Snorkeling. You really can be 'out of touch' for a few hours. Just a few years ago we'd never think to take a cell phone/computer with us on a cruise... or on a shore excursion. Also... if you are going off a small boat.. just leave your sun glasses in your bag on the small boat. If your sunglasses are so expensive -- then run by the Dollar Store or WalMart prior to cruising... buy a pair or 2 of $1 sunglasses... and wear them to the Snorkel trip. Credit card, ID and money can go in a water wallet strapped to your arm or around your neck. Keep it simple... it will make your trip so much more enjoyable. Really, if you are that insecure that you have to have your I Phone, Rolex and expensive items with you... then just stay on the ship with your precious items. It will be the only way to totally protect them. None of us sailing with you are impressed by your accumulation of items... you'll be surprised when you get on board to see many people with more expensive watches. I do hope you can compromise and find a solution so that you can concentrate on enjoying the snorkeling. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by LindaO

Leave your I Phone... expensive watch and jewelery in the safe on the ship. You are going on a 3 hour tour??? You do not need an I Phone while Snorkeling. You really can be 'out of touch' for a few hours. Just a few years ago we'd never think to take a cell phone/computer with us on a cruise... or on a shore excursion. Also... if you are going off a small boat.. just leave your sun glasses in your bag on the small boat. If your sunglasses are so expensive -- then run by the Dollar Store or WalMart prior to cruising... buy a pair or 2 of $1 sunglasses... and wear them to the Snorkel trip. Credit card, ID and money can go in a water wallet strapped to your arm or around your neck. Keep it simple... it will make your trip so much more enjoyable. Really, if you are that insecure that you have to have your I Phone, Rolex and expensive items with you... then just stay on the ship with your precious items. It will be the only way to totally protect them. None of us sailing with you are impressed by your accumulation of items... you'll be surprised when you get on board to see many people with more expensive watches. I do hope you can compromise and find a solution so that you can concentrate on enjoying the snorkeling. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I so agree with your post. You did sum it up nicely.

But I did chuckle a little.

Your opening line, isnt that kinda what the story line for the minow on Gilligans Island stated " . . .a three hour tour. . . ?' And look what happened to them:eek:

Maybe he will need them:rolleyes:

Thank you for your post....

Sea ya

Excellent reply from Linda O!

We never wear expensive watches and jewelry when in ports of call even when we are not snorkeling.

LuLu

I agree; anything else is just asking for trouble--depending on the port. I never wear my jewelry nor take my "good" sunglasses. I am more afraid of losing them so I have a $3 pair I got at Walmart. I have a cheapo water proof watch I attach to my beach bag. Leave the iphone, ipad, i everything else in the safe onboard.

lol, i was hoping for the" dont worry i did that tour and your belongings will be safe while you snorkel. "

well i need the phone to take pictures and also to get wifi off the ship at port ,would i be going on the excursion and then back on the ship? i was thinking i would go on the excursion and then be still out on dock and need my things.

sure i can buy liquor store shades but i am attached to my Louis V's. :o

Edited by Harooni

i dont get linda's smart remarks , sure others will have more expensive items then mine, i dont see the point there, its not about bragging , i just dont want my stuff gone, i had lost an iphone on one vacation and its not fun. my business contacts and all my pictures. :cool:

Edited by Harooni

i dont get linda's smart remarks , sure others will have more expensive items then mine, i dont see the point there, its not about bragging , i just dont want my stuff gone, i had lost an iphone on one vacation and its not fun. my business contacts and all my pictures. :cool:

I'll try to make this easy to understand.... People who tend to list all their expensive toys (Louis V's, Rolex, etc) tend to be braggers and flaunt their bobbles on. Rarely can you sit down at a table with them without hearing all about their 'goodies'. I, for one, am not impressed by your trinkets. If you have to flaunt them on shore then be prepared to defend them... there are many horror stories of people who are traveling with expensive items in plain sight, who either lose them, have them taken or worse get into life threatening situations defending them. This is by no way saying that ports are not safe, but there are people that will spot you coming off the ship with those expensive goodies and you then become a target. To avoid any problems it is a simple solution to leave them on board. You Try searching for traveler warnings and see what the professionals say about it... but making yourself a target is a fairly simple solution. It is your choice.

If you can't take a day out of your trip to just enjoy life, without your I Phone and having to be on the internet, then it is your choice... Many have given you options for taking your phone. You have to weigh the benefits vs the risk. There have been several suggestions for water tight pouches.

Have to take pictures... go buy a disposable camera... or a regular camera... they aren't that expensive and will serve your purpose. See.. another suggestion...

None of these suggestions are meant to be, in any way, a 'put down' -- you asked for assistance. I decided to give you my perspective. I do hope you find a solution that works for you and you have a safe and pleasant journey.

So, now you have numerous suggestions... but I'm afraid that Anzore is right... " there is nothing more to add " an next time I'm on a ship with Anzore I'll buy you a cup of coffee!!!

<snip>...

well i need the phone to take pictures...<snip>

Buy a Watershot housing for your iPhone. It is very high quality, professional grade housing that's depth rated for 130-195ft (depending on model).

Then download the free app. Not only is your iPhone well protected, but also becomes an underwater camera!

I bought one to use on my SNUBA excursion in Grand Cayman. (I also bought a Chubs flotation strap in case the included strap slipped off my wrist.)

It worked like a charm & took amazing pics! I have since used it many times on other snorkeling trips. IMO it was worth every penny!

I have no experience with a Rolex, so idk what to tell you there!:D

But I agree with the cheap shades idea & waterproof pouch for the rest.

Buy a cheap digital camera to take pictures with and leave the IPhone on board.

If you don't want to lose it don't take it. If you HAVE to have them with you, don't complain when they go missing.

I would try for a smaller ship sponsored excursion. When I snorkeled in St. Thomas the boat had no more than 12 people. Each person was provided a dry bag for items. As soon as I was out of the water I checked my items. I typically travel with my iphone (I travel solo so it is for safety reasons), one credit card, and also limited amount of cash.

I personally would not bring any items that I would fear getting damaged or lost when traveling. With that said, as others have stated there are lots of excellent waterproof pouches. Some of which you can wear around your neck that would fit your watch, credit card, and sun glasses. I dont know if I would trust to put my phone in it but mine has never leaked.

You could also look into something like this: http://www.kyssbags.com/

If you won't trust a Rolex at snorkeling depth, what brand do you trust? These are the deepest rated watches in the world (some rated to 12,800 ft, way beyond the deepest SCUBA diving. Even their less rugged watches are waterproof to 350 ft.). If you don't want to wear this in the water, you can find a cheap, waterproof Casio or other brand to take snorkeling so that you can leave your Rolex in the safe aboard.

Maybe a blow up pool in your backyard would be better. :eek:

I have to agree, that if you can't work out the logistics of modern travel (with safes in the cabins, and waterproof bags available), you might be better off staying at home. Cruise vacations are not for everyone, and you can have a great vacation closer to home.

I'll try to make this easy to understand.... People who tend to list all their expensive toys (Louis V's, Rolex, etc) tend to be braggers and flaunt their bobbles on. !

cough cough, you mean like those diamond plus and im doing the suite life bunch ;) (which to me is a waste on money) but to each their own . just because someone likes nice things or whatever doesnt mean they are going to brag about it and talk about it every chance they get,your lumping everyone together. sometimes people enjoy the nicer quality in the watch or sunglasses.

Edited by Harooni

cough cough, you mean like those diamond plus and im doing the suite life bunch ;) (which to me is a waste on money) but to each their own . just because someone likes nice things or whatever doesnt mean they are going to brag about it and talk about it every chance they get,your lumping everyone together. sometimes people enjoy the nicer quality in the watch or sunglasses.

Normally I would agree with you but calling out brands like you did (Rolex rather than watch, iPhone rather than phone, Louis V's rather than sunglasses) is indicative of a bragger.

Also...the idea that you "have" to have your Rolex? Really? Why? Your phone has a clock on it. Use that. Also, don't take your passport off the ship. That is asking to get stolen. Driver's license will be fine. Your shades are also asking to get stolen. Find a cheap pair that you "love." Then, put your DL, CC. small bill cash in a dry bag and your iPhone in a water-proof case and carry on with your trip.

Edited by cruisnseas