Never sailed Celebrity-help me make a decision

Derbie

My DH and I have been on four different cruise lines; however, never on Celebrity. I received a great offer e-mail offer through a cruise company. We are considering sailing 1/15 or possibly before. We will be booking a balcony room. Can anyone give us some general suggestions regarding ships, etc? I would appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Thanks, Derbie

Derbie,

Where do you want to go?

WE PICK CRUISES based on itinerary, not the ship.

We don't do the Caribbean much. Celebrity has great cruises in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia/NZ, Alaska and more.

We have done cruises on the M and S class ships. The newer S are great, but we still like the somewhat smaller M class.

Go to the Celebrity website and look at what is on the ships,

The food is excellent, entertainment generally excellent, great service.

A few decision points. First the larger ships (s-class) are newer and some prefer that. The M-class ships are a little older, but certainly not old. We've been on both and find ourselves on M-class ships more often due to the itinerary. We find the service and total offering equal on both.

Second, balcony is an excellent choice. On the M-class ships, Concierge and Aqua class cabins are physically about 20 sq ft larger than standard balconies. We always book at least concierge on M-class ships. S-class cabins are all the same size.

Third, Balcony is a great choice. I'd try to avoid the partially obstructed cabins although sometimes guarantee balcony prices are irresistible and you may get an obstructed cabin or you may not.

Fourth: Consider Aqua Class for their special dining room which is terrific IMHO. Other than that, the only reason IMHO for a concierge cabin is on m-class ships...unless it's just a few $'s more...there are some perks, but they aren't huge.

Fifth: true on any ship, check what is above your cabin...you really don't want to be under a public area where they scrape chairs, wheel carts, do gymnastics.

Hope this helps a little. You're making a good choice to try celebrity. Likely that it will become your preferred cruise line.

For a first timer on Celebrity, study their website to get a good wealth of information.

Basically since you are looking at January, I'd assume you are looking toward Caribbean.

Figure X ships are 2 models - smaller older M class and larger newer S class. Many prefer the intimacy of the M class ships, but keep in mind they were "Solsticized" over the last few years to implement the amenities on the newer S class ships.

Ships don't vary a whole lot within their class other than they have a mix of the specialty restaurants that vary ship to ship, but I believe Tuscan is on all of them, and each has a french inspired restaurant, though its name varies Normandie, Murano, are basically same restaurant, different name. All have BLU dining exclusively if in Aqua Class cabins ( have balconies, basically same cabins as a normal balcony but additional perks apply).

So much to say, it;s best pif you review the X website then ask some pointed questions...

If doing a 5 night or less Crusie, many feel that you don't get the full vibe of a true Celebrity sailing they tend to be a bit more "party " focused, especially on the Constellation (an M class ship).

The best deals on cruising the Caribbean are available from mid-November to mid-January.

For some reason the two week sailing on Eclipse is more costly than two one week sailings on other ships.

The best location for balconies are mid ship "on the hump"

Constellation has mostly short sailings and is a little older and less glamorous than the new ships.

Pick an itinerary, either east or west Caribbean, a port such as Miami or Ft Lauderdale or even San Juan and you will soon pick the ship that fits your requirements.

I'm going to be the contrarian here. For your first X cruise, I HIGHLY recommend an S class ship. They are gorgeous, feel very uncrowded despite the size, and offer a fantastic cruise experience.

The M class ships, while nicely appointed, just don't compare IMO. On S class, your best bet is a standard balcony midship on any floor that doesn't have public areas above it. There are only two sets of elevators, so it is very convenient to be close to the midship elevators

Do not miss the Sunset Bar and the Martini Bar--they are loads of fun!

My DH and I have been on four different cruise lines; however, never on Celebrity. I received a great offer e-mail offer through a cruise company. We are considering sailing 1/15 or possibly before. We will be booking a balcony room. Can anyone give us some general suggestions regarding ships, etc? I would appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Thanks, Derbie

Derbie,

First, I note you have cruised with NCL and Carnival (not sure what the other two are)...I have cruised on seven different lines, including NCL and Carnival--and Celebrity--and first thing I will tell you is to b e prepared for a major step up. Compared to NCL and Carnival, Celebrity ships are, simply, FAR more spacious...The space-per-passenger ratios (and the crew-per-passenger ratios) blow those two lines away. With less passengers for the size of the ship and more helpful crew members serving each passenger, the experience is just more elegant, more relaxed and the service is much better...

As to the ships, as has been noted, basically two models (with the Century finally being retired soon)--the "older" M-class and the newer S-class. The M-class (Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation) are 91,000 gross ton ships carrying approximately 1950 passengers. The S-class (Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox, Silhouette, Reflection) are 122,000 gross ton ships carrying 2,750. Both classes are very well designed with ample public spaces, bars and lounges, etc. easy to find one's way around.

As to choosing cabins, with balcony cabins, there are several categories, but they basically fall into the following types:

Standard balconies

Concierge class balconies

Aqua class balconies

All three types are identical in size and layout.

The prime differences are in amenities and services. Aqua class cabins have special spa privileges and, more importantly, have a special smaller dining room with a slightly different menu which some think is superior to the main dining room (which is still pretty good)...These cabins also come equipped with a few extras--like a showerhead with spray handle. The Concierge class comes with a few extras--like a supposedly nicer shower head--though not as deluxe as the one in Aqua, a bottle of Champagne in the room, daily hors d'ouerves to the room, basket of fruit, etc. On the M-class, the concierge cabins are slightly larger than the standard balcony cabins (S-class are all identical). I will move up in category for location and if the price differential is minor...if the differential is great, the amenities aren't worth the move-up.

Most of the difference in sub-categories is due to location on the ship.

On the S-class (not on the M-class), there are some "obstructed view" balconies--designated 2D and 2C...with 2Ds being the more obstructed ones...These obstructions are nowhere near as bad as on, say, Princess--where the obstructions are often the entire lifeboat blocking your entire view. The general rule is that with the 2Cs, the lifeboats come up to about floor level...so you can see a complete view looking over them, but, looking down, the lifeboat is directly below you. With the 2Ds, you have the larger tender lifeboats outside your cabin--and these come up to about the level of your balcony railing, so, again, you can largely see over them...Sometimes you can snag these at a price very near the price for a simple window cabin--if so, go ahead and grab it...it's not that bad...

But, generally, if the price differential is small, move to a category without any obstruction...

The other thing to watch for--and it is not apparent on most deck plans--are oversized balconies...

On the M-class, there is what we refer to here as the "Sweet 16"...The first 8 balcony cabins on either side at the front of Deck 6 have balcones twice the size of standard--and it does not show on any of the deck plans...If you don't mind being that far forward, these are great picks--because they go for the price of the lowest priced balconies on the M-Class...

On the S-Class, my favorite are the slant or "hump" cabins...If you look at the deck plans, the side of the ship slants in or out in a few ploaces...On the deck plans, the cabins and balconies appear trapezoidal...but they aren't...The cabin interiors are identical to all other cabins...the added space as the sides slant out is contained in an oversized balcony...The first and third on the slant as you head outward have balconies about 1.5 times standard, the 2nd and 4th have balconies 2.5 times (or even slightly larger) than standard...Our last Silhouette cruise, we snagged 2106...maybe the best balcony cabin on the ship, IMHO...due to the slant and the shape, the balcony is almost three times standard and the views go both directions...We got lucky, we moved up when they ran a sale on Concierge cabins and the price got to within a few dollars of what we had been booked at for a standard balcony...

Thumbnails below are of the balcony of #2106

249167411_Adriatic2013275(640x480).jpg.576259d597fbd6ae851c9237c66d062b.jpg

1140709549_Adriatic2013271(640x480).jpg.dde908c6a6e968936c3a5eb2d714f071.jpg

Bruin Steve, what a great and comprehensive explanation for the OP. Celebrity should be paying you a commission!

I would also choose the S class for a first impression. If budget allows, Aqua class is fabulous.

OP, try and book a balcony on the hump (angled portion). Steve has explained this well. There are very few hump balconies in Aqua class but there are some. If you want to go with AQ, and the humps are all taken, try to book something beginning with 16xx. The rooms in the 1500's are mostly under the pool area and people complain about scraping chairs etc. There is a sticky at the beginning of the forum describing the different cabins and that might be a good place to start when you are trying to chose a cabin.

Edited by YVR cruiser

Derbie,

First, I note you have cruised with NCL and Carnival (not sure what the other two are)...I have cruised on seven different lines, including NCL and Carnival--and Celebrity--and first thing I will tell you is to b e prepared for a major step up. Compared to NCL and Carnival, Celebrity ships are, simply, FAR more spacious...The space-per-passenger ratios (and the crew-per-passenger ratios) blow those two lines away. With less passengers for the size of the ship and more helpful crew members serving each passenger, the experience is just more elegant, more relaxed and the service is much better...

As to the ships, as has been noted, basically two models (with the Century finally being retired soon)--the "older" M-class and the newer S-class. The M-class (Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation) are 91,000 gross ton ships carrying approximately 1950 passengers. The S-class (Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox, Silhouette, Reflection) are 122,000 gross ton ships carrying 2,750. Both classes are very well designed with ample public spaces, bars and lounges, etc. easy to find one's way around.

As to choosing cabins, with balcony cabins, there are several categories, but they basically fall into the following types:

Standard balconies

Concierge class balconies

Aqua class balconies

All three types are identical in size and layout.

The prime differences are in amenities and services. Aqua class cabins have special spa privileges and, more importantly, have a special smaller dining room with a slightly different menu which some think is superior to the main dining room (which is still pretty good)...These cabins also come equipped with a few extras--like a showerhead with spray handle. The Concierge class comes with a few extras--like a supposedly nicer shower head--though not as deluxe as the one in Aqua, a bottle of Champagne in the room, daily hors d'ouerves to the room, basket of fruit, etc. On the M-class, the concierge cabins are slightly larger than the standard balcony cabins (S-class are all identical). I will move up in category for location and if the price differential is minor...if the differential is great, the amenities aren't worth the move-up.

Most of the difference in sub-categories is due to location on the ship.

On the S-class (not on the M-class), there are some "obstructed view" balconies--designated 2D and 2C...with 2Ds being the more obstructed ones...These obstructions are nowhere near as bad as on, say, Princess--where the obstructions are often the entire lifeboat blocking your entire view. The general rule is that with the 2Cs, the lifeboats come up to about floor level...so you can see a complete view looking over them, but, looking down, the lifeboat is directly below you. With the 2Ds, you have the larger tender lifeboats outside your cabin--and these come up to about the level of your balcony railing, so, again, you can largely see over them...Sometimes you can snag these at a price very near the price for a simple window cabin--if so, go ahead and grab it...it's not that bad...

But, generally, if the price differential is small, move to a category without any obstruction...

The other thing to watch for--and it is not apparent on most deck plans--are oversized balconies...

On the M-class, there is what we refer to here as the "Sweet 16"...The first 8 balcony cabins on either side at the front of Deck 6 have balcones twice the size of standard--and it does not show on any of the deck plans...If you don't mind being that far forward, these are great picks--because they go for the price of the lowest priced balconies on the M-Class...

On the S-Class, my favorite are the slant or "hump" cabins...If you look at the deck plans, the side of the ship slants in or out in a few ploaces...On the deck plans, the cabins and balconies appear trapezoidal...but they aren't...The cabin interiors are identical to all other cabins...the added space as the sides slant out is contained in an oversized balcony...The first and third on the slant as you head outward have balconies about 1.5 times standard, the 2nd and 4th have balconies 2.5 times (or even slightly larger) than standard...Our last Silhouette cruise, we snagged 2106...maybe the best balcony cabin on the ship, IMHO...due to the slant and the shape, the balcony is almost three times standard and the views go both directions...We got lucky, we moved up when they ran a sale on Concierge cabins and the price got to within a few dollars of what we had been booked at for a standard balcony...

Thumbnails below are of the balcony of #2106

Thanks so much! This is the place to come for information. We have sailed on RCCL and The Big Red Boat. I hated to admit to the BRB, as it told my age! LOL. We sailed on the Getaway in April, and it was a great ship.

Thanks to all of you! What a great wealth of information! I think we are going to hold off until 2/16. We have friends who want to sail with us. What a great way to start them off, as they have never been on a cruise before.

You all are a great bunch of people!

We have sailed on RCCL and The Big Red Boat. I hated to admit to the BRB, as it told my age! LOL.

No big deal...we sailed on the Big Red Boat as well...It was our first cruise...got us hooked...

As to age, my daughters sailed on the Big Red Boat (with us, of course)...and they are now only 28 and 30!!...It was only 25 years ago...

No big deal...we sailed on the Big Red Boat as well...It was our first cruise...got us hooked...

As to age, my daughters sailed on the Big Red Boat (with us, of course)...and they are now only 28 and 30!!...It was only 25 years ago...

Yikes-you sailed around time as DH and myself. We went on the BRB and got us hooked as well. My son was in the second grade, and he is now 31!