Cruise versus Disney land trip?

Derbie

My DH and I are considering taking our nieces (they will be almost 10 and 12 when we travel) to Disney World or a Disney cruise. This will be the first week of October. I did a price check for a cruise, and the least expensive room for a 7 day trip is over $5K. We could do a really great high-end Disney hotel trip for this amount of money. I do realize food, etc., are included in the cruise prices. We have sailed on four different cruise lines. I just wanted comments, etc., on how to best to make a balanced decision.

Thanks!

Have you priced a 3 day cruise?

Yes, they are short, but you still get to sail and be on a Disney ship.

You could do 4 days at WDW, then a 3 day cruise.

Just a thought to get the best of both worlds :)

I find when I do a Disney cruise, I think why not throw in a few days at WDW.

When I do WDW, I think why not throw in a short Disney cruise.

:D

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

We would recommend the 4 night cruise (the Disney Dream) after a stay at WDW. You can get physically and mentally exhausted at WDW in the 4 parks, the water parks, the shopping, etc. Then relax on board the ship for 4 nights, which allows you to experience all four of the rotational restaurants and a day at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. There is still much to do and experience, for adults as well as your nieces onboard, yet you finish the vacation a lot more rested and relaxed!

Well, if it were DisneyLAND like your title says, I'd say do that. But since it's WDW, cruise hands down. Or at least a shorter cruise combined with WDW.

I don't think the poster meant Disneyland , they meant land as in land or sea

I just got back (seriously - it was last Monday) from doing a couple days at Walt Disney World and a 3 day on Disney Dream. It was the best of both worlds and I loved it. Highly recommend it to anyone.

I'm not so sure you could do 7 nights in a Deluxe resort any cheaper than the 7 night cruise. You would be spending at least $500+ a night for a deluxe plus park tickets and food.

I would take the girls on the Disney cruise while they are still in that perfect age range to really enjoy it. Once they get a bit older they may start to outgrow Disney. There is still plenty to do onboard for teenagers, but they do seem to cater more towards the younger kids.

The cruise will definitely be a more relaxing vacation. I wouldn't bother with a 3 or 4 night sailing though. We've done some shorter cruises on other lines and to me they aren't really worth it. You just start to get into vacation mode and then it is over. Particularly on Disney where there is so much to do on the ship I feel you need the full week to really do it all.

We did 7 nights on the Fantasy last year and then 4 days at WDW afterwards. If I did that again I would do the parks first if possible and then relax on the cruise afterwards.

my kids are 12/13. At 10/12 (and even now), they would prefer WDW for a week--I just asked the other day for next spring break--and they both said WDW. I believe that if you book soon, there is free dining in October. I don't really think 10/12 care that much about deluxe accommodations. But, my kids do really like AKL. But, as others said, if you can do some WDW and a 4 Day, that is the best of both worlds. The Wonder out of Miami does 4/5 days for much less than the Dream our of Pt Canaveral. I would either do a week at WDW with free dining, or I would do 4 days @ WDW in a moderate hotel with free dining and then do a 4 day cruise. I bet that prices out almost the same with free dining. Elaine

update on my prior post---

I just checked and here are some options. There is free dining if you can check in by October 3, but it looks like you have to stay 6 nights--but it's a good deal if you decide to go for the week. Examples are AKL 6 nights, dining (sitdown meal everyday, 1 quick meal everyday--plenty of food. You can book some fun character/princess meals--my kids love these) for $5500, includes 7 days tickets, Art of Animation in a Littler Mermaid room with 2 quick meals--no sitdown for $3300 for 6 nights, includes tickets, Coronado Spring $4200 (sitdown meal everyday, 1 quick meal everyday) includes tickets. I don't really think 10/12 care that much about deluxe accommodations. But, my kids do really like AKL. For 6 nights, I would do a moderate or deluxe to get the sitdown meals and nicer accommodations (plus a slide and hottub at pools).

But, as others said, if you can do some WDW and a 4 Day cruise, that is the best of both worlds. I thnk a 3 day is just too short, IMHO. There is also a room only discount---$150ish for moderates like Port Orleans, Beach Club, and $90ish for values. For 2-3 nights or so, a Value is fine with us. Tickets are about $300PP for 4 days for basic tickets. So, about $1800 for 4 days lodging in a moderate and tickets. To that you could add the following--all out of Pr Canaveral--the Wonder 5 day Oct 1 oceanview for 4 persons for $3500, Dream Oct 5 4 day verandah for $3200, Wonder Oct 6 4 day Oceanview for $2700. Wonder makes 2 stops @ Castaway CAy--private island--fabulous. I would either do a week at WDW with free dining, or I would do 4 days @ WDW in a moderate hotel and then do a 4/5 day cruise. That prices out almost the same as the 7 day cruise--my kids (and adults) would pick 4 days WDW and 4/5 day cruise over a 7 day. good luck! Elaine (ps--DD17 has outgrown WDW, but still loves DCL. It's my 12/13 who are the WDW nuts).

Edited by elaine5