How to use the shuttle bus to get to Edinburgh

I've found out a bit more for those on Celebrity Silhouette and it is to do with the dredging at Newhaven I mentioned. The ports authority have moved three ships from South Queensferry to Newhaven as they've invested in the dredging operation at Newhaven which they're now developing as an alternative to South Queensferry. I love South Queensferry which is such an interesting, historic little town but as far as ease of getting into Edinburgh city centre is concerned, Newhaven is closer and quicker.

I also said I'd find out about buses from Newhaven so here are timetables for a couple of local buses which will take you into the city for the castle etc. You should get off in Frederick Street and will see the castle right in front of you if you look up! You pay the driver as you get on. Just ask for Frederick Street and he'll tell you how much it will be - probably £1.50. You put the coins in the slot by the driver then wait for your ticket to print. Just ask somebody on the bus to tell you when you get there and hopefully you'll find people very friendly. It will be a double decker bus so if you sit upstairs you'll get a great view. :)

Thanks very much for the update. Its unfortunate that Celebrity has not and probably will not notify Silhouette passengers of the change in docking arrangements. We're relying entirely on the information provided by the cruiseforth site, and hoping its accurate.

Sam

Thanks very much for the update. Its unfortunate that Celebrity has not and probably will not notify Silhouette passengers of the change in docking arrangements. We're relying entirely on the information provided by the cruiseforth site, and hoping its accurate.

Sam

Try to look on the positive side and think how much easier it will be to get in and out of Edinburgh :D!

This is a link to the official port authority website and it is confirmed on that. That should be evidence enough for others on your roll call.

http://www.forthportscruise.com/schedule-of-ship-visits-2015.asp

Try to look on the positive side and think how much easier it will be to get in and out of Edinburgh :D!

This is a link to the official port authority website and it is confirmed on that. That should be evidence enough for others on your roll call.

http://www.forthportscruise.com/schedule-of-ship-visits-2015.asp

I'm excited about the change! Since we have an overnight, we want to experience an evening out in Edinburgh. The closer location will be so helpful. Thanks so much, tartanexile81!

Hi,

I Will be visiting Edinburgh in July on the Oceania Marina and we are scheduled (now) in Newhaven. My question is, do we need to take the bus in to town to catch the Hop-on, Hop-off buses, or do they run close to Newhaven?

Thanks,

Charlotte

I'm excited about the change! Since we have an overnight, we want to experience an evening out in Edinburgh. The closer location will be so helpful. Thanks so much, tartanexile81!

I love overnights in ports too. You get used to sailing away before the nightlife begins and you see a different side of the city after sunset so it's real treat to be able to enjoy a meal out, show etc. The Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival is on when you're there. It's not going to be like New Orleans but there's various events on Friday and a parade along Princes Street on Saturday. This is the website:

http://www.edinburghjazzfestival.com/programme/whats-on.html

There are lots of great restaurants in Edinburgh if you avoid the big chains and they can range in price from cheap and cheerful to pricey and classy!

Hi,

I Will be visiting Edinburgh in July on the Oceania Marina and we are scheduled (now) in Newhaven. My question is, do we need to take the bus in to town to catch the Hop-on, Hop-off buses, or do they run close to Newhaven?

Thanks,

Charlotte

The Edinburgh Tour Company has 4 hop-on, hop-off buses which cover different routs. There's only one of them which calls near Newhaven Pier and that's the Majestic Tour. I includes

• New Town

• Royal Botanic Garden

• Royal Yacht Britannia

• Palace of Holyroodhouse

• Scottish Parliament

• Old Town

You can either pay £14 just to do that route or if you pay £20 you can hop on and off the different buses. Have you any idea what you want to see? Edinburgh is a very walkable city with many of the main sights fairly close to each other and if you got the bus up to Princes Street in the New Town, you could then walk up to the Castle in the Old Town.

This is the website for the tour company: http://edinburghtour.com/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by tartanexile81

I love overnights in ports too. You get used to sailing away before the nightlife begins and you see a different side of the city after sunset so it's real treat to be able to enjoy a meal out, show etc. The Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival is on when you're there. It's not going to be like New Orleans but there's various events on Friday and a parade along Princes Street on Saturday. This is the website:

http://www.edinburghjazzfestival.com/programme/whats-on.html

There are lots of great restaurants in Edinburgh if you avoid the big chains and they can range in price from cheap and cheerful to pricey and classy!

Wow....sounds like we're in for lots of fun! The website indicates that Mardi Gras takes place at Grassmarket on the Saturday, and the Carnival parade on the Sunday. We have a private tour arranged for the Sunday to take us to Stirling Castle, Loch Lomand, maybe also Doune and Linlithgow Castles. We're now wondering if we should have just stayed put in Edinburgh to enjoy all these events...wish we had an extra day! As almost always on cruise port stops, just too much to see and do and too little time! :rolleyes:

Sam

Thank you for your quick reply tartanexile81!

Our thinking is to tour the Edinburgh Castle and just walk around the Royal Mile. I never thought of the train. I would appreciate advice on that.

Sorry didn't spot the question about the train. I have created a thread about that too and you'll find it at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574

Wow....sounds like we're in for lots of fun! The website indicates that Mardi Gras takes place at Grassmarket on the Saturday, and the Carnival parade on the Sunday. We have a private tour arranged for the Sunday to take us to Stirling Castle, Loch Lomand, maybe also Doune and Linlithgow Castles. We're now wondering if we should have just stayed put in Edinburgh to enjoy all these events...wish we had an extra day! As almost always on cruise port stops, just too much to see and do and too little time! :rolleyes:

Sam

Wow, can't believe you're doing all of that in one day. You won't have much time anywhere but guess you'll see the scenery from the car. I agree you can only get a taster in every port. The best thing to do is to come back to Edinburgh during August for the various festivals that month :)

Wow, can't believe you're doing all of that in one day. You won't have much time anywhere but guess you'll see the scenery from the car. I agree you can only get a taster in every port. The best thing to do is to come back to Edinburgh during August for the various festivals that month :)

Our ship doesn't depart until 11 pm on the Sunday, so we plan on cramming in as much as possible. The Silhouette is doing only three British Isles sailings this summer, and ours is the only one that stops in Edinburgh, primarily for the British Open. We're not golfers, and hoping many passengers will opt for golfing events resulting in less than the usual crowds at the sites we plan on visiting. ;)

Sorry didn't spot the question about the train. I have created a thread about that too and you'll find it at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574

Thank you so much tartanexile81!

I actually remember reading this last year and thought I will get back to it and forgot all about it. :o

As usual you are such a big help to cruisers and I cannot wait to see your beautiful country! :D

My mother and I are on the Silhouette for the two days discussed above. As we both have mobility issues, we would prefer to take a taxi to the meeting point for the private tour we have arranged. How easy/difficult is it from the tendering point to get a taxi and what sort of fare would it be into the Royal Mile?

My mother and I are on the Silhouette for the two days discussed above. As we both have mobility issues, we would prefer to take a taxi to the meeting point for the private tour we have arranged. How easy/difficult is it from the tendering point to get a taxi and what sort of fare would it be into the Royal Mile?

What is your meeting point? The Royal Mile is a mile long (hence it's name :) ) and if you're doing a private tour along the Royal Mile, I strongly suggest you start close to the Castle then walk downhill as it's fairly steep. You also need to be aware that the pavement and road surface is very uneven - remember it dates back to the late 16th Century!

As Newhaven is such a new port I don't know what the situation is for taxis. I cannot imagine however that taxis won't be lining up for you. If not, I'm sure one of the volunteers will be able to help out. They will be wearing purple jackets which have Cruiseforth embroidered on them. I won't be volunteering for a few weeks as we're going away then are having various visitors but I will try and find out more from one of the Edinburgh volunteers when I next see them.

As regards cost, it will very much depend on traffic like all cities but I would guess around £15 - £20 to the castle.

Edited by tartanexile81

What is your meeting point?

Thank you for the information. We are meeting our tour outside the Deacon's House Cafe, Lawnmarket, Royal Mile. We are going on the Hairy Coo Highland Tour.

Thank you for the information. We are meeting our tour outside the Deacon's House Cafe, Lawnmarket, Royal Mile. We are going on the Hairy Coo Highland Tour.

Well I know where the cafe is and it's close to the castle so my estimate would be about right. Sorry for assuming it was a walking tour. You will however have to walk in places because of some streets being pedestrianised (such as the oldest part of the Royal Mile at St Giles) so wear comfortable shoes!! Enjoy Edinburgh.

Are you part of the ship group for The Hairy Coo? If so, they are meeting us at the ship.

Cathy

Thank you so much !!!!!!! Mary

Thanks Tartanexile81 you've given us some wonderful information. I am wondering about renting a car for the 1st day and heading to Paisley where some ancestors are from. Is there a location close to Newhaven or will we need to go into Edinburgh? Any information would be appreciated.

Also, can you suggest sites we might easily include along the way ?

Thanks Tartanexile81 you've given us some wonderful information. I am wondering about renting a car for the 1st day and heading to Paisley where some ancestors are from. Is there a location close to Newhaven or will we need to go into Edinburgh? Any information would be appreciated.

Also, can you suggest sites we might easily include along the way ?

There's an Enterprise Car Rental office in Leith (5-10 minutes away) and they can pick you up at Newhaven and take you to their office so that might be perfect for you.

http://www.enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?cnty=GB&gpbr=SC12&bid=004

How lovely for you to be able to visit the place where your ancestors were born.

Paisley is at the end of the M8, the motorway (freeway?) which links Edinburgh to Glasgow so it would only take you just over an hour. It's probably about 60 miles. Near Paisley is the 'House for An Art Lover', designed by the iconic Scottish / European Architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rennie_Mackintosh

However this is a busy road and is a typical motorway in that it bypasses towns most of which are former industrial places with little of note worth seeing. However the Falkirk Wheel is a possibility and it is very popular with locals and tourists alike. It would mean taking a different route out of Edinburgh but would only take a little longer, excluding however long you'd spend there.

http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk

Strangely enough, though, whatever way you go you'll end up going right through Glasgow. Would you be confident enough to drive from the motorway into the city centre? Glasgow has a very different feel to it from Edinburgh and may not have the same depth of history (IMO) but there's still lots to see.

Come back to me with any questions or preferences. Or if you prefer email me at tartanexile81@outlook.com

• 4 weeks later...

We are on Royal Princess and are planning to go to the Camera Obscura and World of Illusions. I think that Oliver and Emily will love it. Just wondering what the best route into Edinburgh is. I don't fancy the dirt track route to the train station with the children (Rob won't be with us) and it seems an expensive distance by taxi (Google suggest £44.20).

I don't want to be under time pressure (we panic) so wondering whether the shuttle would be a better option. Is the £10 return shuttle man still running? Do you know what the price is for children? How long will it take us to walk from the drop off to the Camera Obscura? Would the Princess shuttle be a better option?

many thanks

Hi Jo and Rob, I met you some years ago on a P&O Easter cruise so glad you're still enjoying cruising.

Firstly the track isn't bad if the weathers been dry and we've walked up there several times and I know you're a bit younger than us. A return fare to Edinburgh Waverley is only about £5 and less for children. It's also more reliable as it won't be affected by delays on roads......obviously..and there's a frequent service.

Another option is the local bus into the city centre. It's about a 10 minute walk through Queensferry village (which is pretty) then about 40 mins I think into the city centre. The only drawback is the possibility of heavy traffic but there are bus lanes all over Edinburgh and buses are actually frequent and reliable around here. Happy to give you more info about this including prices if you want.

The shuttle is still running. It was VERY busy when RP was in last week and it's best to get off early if you're using it. There was some controversy last year about children's fares and I think in the end only very small children got half fare but I can check that out again next week if you like. The route remains the same and still drops you at the west end of Princes Street in Charlotte Square.

The taxi fare is one way so £90 would be a lot. However maybe you could negotiate a better deal with a local mini-cab company if you pre-booked. Can give you some numbers if that would help. The black cabs are metered but there are several licensed mini-cab companies in and around the village who offer set prices.

Edited by tartanexile81

Just wanted to say thank you for all the good advice you are trying to hand out. I hope I see you on the June 26th sailing on the Royal Princess. Would love to shake your hand, you've been wonderful in answering everyone's questions and concerns.

Maybe when I'm done visiting Edinburgh, I can pay it forward.

Thank you again.

Tartanexile81

What train station would you recommend we use to go from Edinburg to St. Andrews for the open? Can we take a cab from Newhaven or would it be very costly? Thank you.

Peteymil, I'd advise taking a taxi from the port to Edinburgh Waverley Station and from there take a train to Leuchars and on to St Andrews by bus. They are running special services during The Open with lots of buses meeting every train. If you take a look at this site:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/events/open-golf

you should get all the information you need. The engineering works they mention only seem to be affecting weekend services at present.

I don't quite know how much a taxi would cost to St Andrews but I imagine £75 each way. A taxi to the city centre would be about £10. There's also a bus to the city centre from Newhaven but taxi would be quicker obviously. Let me know if you need any more info.

Peteymil, I'd advise taking a taxi from the port to Edinburgh Waverley Station and from there take a train to Leuchars and on to St Andrews by bus. They are running special services during The Open with lots of buses meeting every train. If you take a look at this site:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/events/open-golf

you should get all the information you need. The engineering works they mention only seem to be affecting weekend services at present.

I don't quite know how much a taxi would cost to St Andrews but I imagine £75 each way. A taxi to the city centre would be about £10. There's also a bus to the city centre from Newhaven but taxi would be quicker obviously. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you so much for this info. We will take a taxi to Waverly station, and then take the golflink. My only question is that since we don't know exactly what time we will get to the station, I can't buy the train tickets online. Do you think it will be a problem buying the train ticket on the day of travel? (The Saturday of the Open)

Thank you so much for this info. We will take a taxi to Waverly station, and then take the golflink. My only question is that since we don't know exactly what time we will get to the station, I can't buy the train tickets online. Do you think it will be a problem buying the train ticket on the day of travel? (The Saturday of the Open)

It's always hard to come up with a time when tendering is involved. I found this info:

You can easily purchase tickets from staffed ScotRail stations or via ScotRail telesales on 0344 811 0141.

On the day, you can buy your ticket onboard the train – where no ticket issuing facilities are available at your station of origin – or at stations where ticket vending machines are available, by selecting ‘GOLFLINK 2015’ as your destination.

The trains will be crowded but I've never seen anybody turned away from these trains as long as you're through the barrier before the train departs. As there are ticket machines at Edinburgh Waverley, it means buying before you board the train and to save time you can buy a ticket from Waverley to Golflink on the Scotrail website. You buy an off-peak day return in advance and that would be valid for any train as all day Saturday is off-peak.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/events/open-golf. H