Mitsugirlys graduation getaway cruise

mitsugirly

The Dawn cruise is repositioning from Boston to New Orleans for 14 days. We have stops in San Juan, Curacao, Aruba, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. If you don't have any plans for November, you could make this your next cruise.

There aren't many NCL ships that we haven't been on. The Star is still my favorite, followed closely by the Dawn, Jewel, Spirit, Pearl, etc.

I hope you enjoy your cruising adventures too!

Hope everything works out for you with the boards.

That sounds like a wonderful cruise with some awesome stops. I already have plans for November. Like I said, I leave 1 day after you do, but I'm on the Sun. :D

Kim' date=' I have a great jeweler her who does the most beautiful work! I bet you can find one to add two prongs to your Marquis diamond to keep it more secure.

I also love baguettes. I had one once that was a 'chevron' ring with one row of baguettes in the middle, a half row of round on top and a half row of round on the other side of the bottom. My late husband gave me jewelry all the time. I recently gave that one to my step-daughter because she said that she wanted it when I was 'gone'. She was old enough to remember her dad showing it to everyone who came to our house for two weeks before Christmas, attached to our tree with a twist tie! I never knew it was there, and he sent me on a scavenger hunt on Christmas morning to find it. I also gave a ring to my daughter that I got when we found out I was pregnant with her, and a ring to my son (for his wife) that he helped his dad pick out three months before he died. I wanted to see them all enjoy those rings while I was alive! So be sure to remind your kids of the story of each one, and you have a ring and a great memory to pass on someday to them.[/size']

What a beautiful story Robin. My mom gave me her rings as she was being pushed into surgery (and didn't make it) and years later someone broke in my house and stole my safe with the rings in it. I'm still heartbroken over it. :( It's a very precious gift.

Haha I made this way too confusing!! It was me writing this, hubby wrote the advice under Finz2left, giving you advice to go to your hometown jeweler!! Sorry for the confusion. But thanks for saying I am amazing!!! ;) Yes, it is true, I have skeletor type hands with a size 3 ring finger. :eek: I see your sights are next on the Dawn. We loved the Dawn to Bermuda and of course there is the element of the "ghost stories" with that ship as well. While you were on the Getaway, hubby booked us on the Breakaway for May of next year to Bermuda. It seems like forever since I have been on cruise ship. :( Great review as always, I would expect nothing more. Don't worry about your state boards, they will be here before you know it and you will do just fine. One more thing, about people who give looks to you and your family, they are just Haters. Probably jealous to see everyone having a nice time. No worries there either, because unfortunately Haters are gonna hate and they are everywhere!! Talk to you soon Girl......

LOL, ok gotcha. Oops, you caught me with the compliments. :p

Oh my, I had totally forgotten about the ghosts stories on the Dawn. I remember reading about that years ago. I'm a scardeeeecat!!!! I will have to read up on that again and make sure I'm no where near that room! :eek:

Breakaway to Bermuda...wow, nice. I have been looking at dates for Bermuda as well. I thought May and October were the cheaper dates, but when I looked at the pricing on Breakaway....OUCH. I will probably have to stick to the Dawn unless they come up with a "too good to pass" offer sometime before then.

I have not heard of that one,but again,that's probably bc I was in the Cleveland area. A lot of ppl I know used Boosta(sp)?. I just kept taking practice tests out of books over and over bc that is what worked for me when I took the LPN nclex. For the RN nclex, I did read the Hurst review nclex book, which I'd recommend,as it goes over strategies on how to figure out the questions and how to have your best shot at guessing when the questions are ambiguous( like when there are two or three "right" answers). It was about $20-$25, and it was a good read. Good luck in either case though- of course, you'll need a cruise to celebrate passing! ( although I guess that'll be the Sun?)

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to get me one of those NCLEX books to study from. I sit and stare at my shelves (5 levels high) and think "oh my gosh, how am I ever going to study from this?" YIKES.

Yep, I imagine my Sun cruise will be my "passing the boards" cruise. I actually said that when I booked it. Little did I know it might end up being true. LOL :p

Thanks for the info on the Puddle Jumper! It looks perfect. I'm not a huge snorkeler but I do enjoy looking under the water with a mask on. As I'm usually holding my toddler, that make for a contortionist act! I think I can keep one hand on the float and pop my head under!

Also, I'm new to NCL and your reviews have helped so much. I'm so glad I get to read another one before my cruise in April.

BTW, I'm a Buckeye too. I work at CCF and DH works at Grant in Columbus. He commutes as well as telecommutes. We are in research but he works with trauma surgeons.

Am I reading you right? Is your next cruise the SUN? I'm on that in April!

Edited by carmel

I love, love, loved your review. I am glad it is over so I can get some work done. Just kidding;) After a rough start, it looked like you had a good vacation after all.

While I was waiting for the next installments on the Getaway, I went back and read your Jewel and Breeze reviews. Your reviews have a way of sucking you in. I'll have to read the others as well.

Are we ever going to find out what happened at the Glow Party?

Ellen

Thanks for such a great review! I was first introduced to your reviews over on the Carnival board - I enjoyed your Dream review! Your port/excursion reviews are excellent! The Dream used to be my favorite Carnival ship until I sailed on the Breeze and let me just say, you have got to sail on her! I think your family will have a blast on the Breeze! I have been considering a cruise on the Getaway or Breakaway (really want to see Bermuda), but the prices are $$$$ to go to Bermuda. I need to go check out Gambee's review of the Breakaway to help convince me to book! So many cruises, so little time LOL. I have only sailed on the Pearl and Epic as far as NCL goes and I enjoyed the NCL product for the most part. If you can swing a cruise on either RCI Allure or Oasis of the Seas, you have GOT to do it! I know they are pricey, but worth every cent. Such an amazing experience on the Allure!

Good luck also on your boards. I'm sure you will do just fine! I have been in some type of nursing since '98 and went back to school to become a CRNA 12 years ago. I love my job, so of course I have to try and convince you to work in the OR! It is true that nurses eat their young and I really hate that about our profession. We are all green newbies at once and I remember that awful feeling of being new, so I always try to treat others with kindness.

One question I wanted to ask you was how did your children fit 5 people in a mini-suite? Where did your grandson sleep? Were there 2 pullman beds from the ceiling and a pull-out couch?

I love, love, loved your review. I am glad it is over so I can get some work done. Just kidding;) After a rough start, it looked like you had a good vacation after all.

While I was waiting for the next installments on the Getaway, I went back and read your Jewel and Breeze reviews. Your reviews have a way of sucking you in. I'll have to read the others as well.

Ellen

Oops, I meant Dream review.

Thanks for the info on the Puddle Jumper! It looks perfect. I'm not a huge snorkeler but I do enjoy looking under the water with a mask on. As I'm usually holding my toddler, that make for a contortionist act! I think I can keep one hand on the float and pop my head under!

Also, I'm new to NCL and your reviews have helped so much. I'm so glad I get to read another one before my cruise in April.

BTW, I'm a Buckeye too. I work at CCF and DH works at Grant in Columbus. He commutes as well as telecommutes. We are in research but he works with trauma surgeons.

Am I reading you right? Is your next cruise the SUN? I'm on that in April!

I think the puddle jumper will work great for you. When Sakari was little and we would snorkel, she use to jump on our backs sitting up while we snorkeled. :p Then she started just doing it on her own when we purchased her a pair of goggles. She does great now and only hops on our backs if we're out in the middle of the ocean on a snorkeling tour and she gets tired.

A Buckeye...how neat. Grant is a crazy trauma center..level 1. I would love to work there. That would be awesome. Kendra had her baby there and I swear I heard 16 traumas that day with at least 3 of them being a level 1. I just wanted to go down to the ED and join in on the fun. :D

Yes, our next cruise is on the Sun in November (the hubby's birthday cruise). <---yea, I managed to pull that one off for that reason. hehe Looks like you'll have another review to read before your April cruise. :D

Enjoyed your review, after the airline fiasco you guys had a great cruise! Enjoyed hearing your take on the Getaway and the pictures - looks JUST like our cruise on the Breakaway!

Thanks so much and glad you enjoyed it. :)

Ellen

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the review (and the Jewel and the DREAM ;)) hehe. Some day I'll make it to the Breeze.

I mentioned a "short" version of the Glow Party events in someone else's comment. :p

Thanks for such a great review! I was first introduced to your reviews over on the Carnival board - I enjoyed your Dream review! Your port/excursion reviews are excellent! The Dream used to be my favorite Carnival ship until I sailed on the Breeze and let me just say, you have got to sail on her! I think your family will have a blast on the Breeze! I have been considering a cruise on the Getaway or Breakaway (really want to see Bermuda), but the prices are $$$$ to go to Bermuda. I need to go check out Gambee's review of the Breakaway to help convince me to book! So many cruises, so little time LOL. I have only sailed on the Pearl and Epic as far as NCL goes and I enjoyed the NCL product for the most part. If you can swing a cruise on either RCI Allure or Oasis of the Seas, you have GOT to do it! I know they are pricey, but worth every cent. Such an amazing experience on the Allure!

Good luck also on your boards. I'm sure you will do just fine! I have been in some type of nursing since '98 and went back to school to become a CRNA 12 years ago. I love my job, so of course I have to try and convince you to work in the OR! It is true that nurses eat their young and I really hate that about our profession. We are all green newbies at once and I remember that awful feeling of being new, so I always try to treat others with kindness.

One question I wanted to ask you was how did your children fit 5 people in a mini-suite? Where did your grandson sleep? Were there 2 pullman beds from the ceiling and a pull-out couch?

Thanks for the comments. I definitely want to try the Breeze. I having been looking at doing that ship for the last 2 years now. I really want to do it after reading Gambee's review. It looks like the Dream on steroids. :D I just don't want to keep going back to the Western Caribbean. I'm getting worn out on that. But I will definitely book the Breeze some day.

Oasis or Allure=my dream vacation. I have been looking at booking the Oasis since 2010 when we were on the Epic and "parked" beside in port. Holy Cow!! But, it has just never worked out for me with the dates I was available to go during school. Maybe now I'll get my chance. Like you said, too many cruises and not enough time. :p

I definitely wouldn't mind working in the OR. I loved my OR rotation and love seeing those types of things. I was able to see several rotator cuff repairs and even a below knee amputation. It was awesome. However, the one thing i noticed was that the nurse in the OR with them just sat there and charted non stop. There weren't in a "position" to see what was going on. I'm nosy, I like to see the gory stuff. So at that point I really wasn't sure that was for me. Maybe not all hospitals were like the one I had my rotation at. I do know they say a lot of new nurses are usually hired in on the med surg floor. We'll see.

As for the room-my grandson slept with Kendra and her bf (as he does often at home) so that wasn't a problem. As for the pull out bed, these rooms were a little different and the couch pulled out but was only a 1 person bed laying long ways as if you were laying on the couch but just wider. Then there was a pull out bed from the ceiling that the steward pulled out every night. So it easily fit 4 people in there with the 5th just being Brayden. They didn't have much of a problem. :)

You could switch ships and go on the Dawn instead.

I have been planning my cruising to try to avoid going on the same ship twice. I do know I will probably do the Dawn to Bermuda next year, so I really don't want to book the Dawn for anything else. Plus we got an awesome deal on the Sun cruise (when they had the sale for anyone over the 2nd person was free) and we are cruising with the Ma'ams again. I wouldn't want to miss that at all. :D

**********UPDATE ON MY RING************

I went to a jeweler today and when they ask me where I got the ring I told them on a cruise. They suggested I send it back to them to have it fixed and wanted to know if it was purchased at International. When I told them it was actually purchased on the cruise ship itself he said

"I really hate to tell you this, but if it was me, I would send it right back to them. You haven't had it but a few weeks and it's already lose. They should have a warranty and here's the thing. In order for us to tighten it, we have to heat the ring up. When we heat the ring up to tighten the prongs, it can loosen up the baguettes and cause more problems and damage, which we can't be responsible for. Then once the prongs are tightened, there's not guarantee that it won't happen again in...a week, a month or later down the line. Then you'll have to have it done gain. We had the exact same problem with our rings that looked exactly like this and we decided to redesign them and ended up putting a hidden wire prong under it and you couldn't see it and it didn't take away from the look of the ring. So, we no longer have this issue. Also, in order for us to tighten it, it's going to be about $250 to have it done. So unless sending the ring back to where you got it is $250 worth of hassle, then I'd send it back."

So, here I am trying to figure out what to do. I'm going to have to look at my certificate and call them I guess and get instructions on sending it back as much as I hate to. :(

Should I get a second opinion? $250 is not at all what I had expected them to say. :o

I have been planning my cruising to try to avoid going on the same ship twice. I do know I will probably do the Dawn to Bermuda next year, so I really don't want to book the Dawn for anything else. Plus we got an awesome deal on the Sun cruise (when they had the sale for anyone over the 2nd person was free) and we are cruising with the Ma'ams again. I wouldn't want to miss that at all. :D

We'll I wouldn't want to miss cruising with my friends, either! Great sale, too!

:cool:

I think I missed which Sun cruise you were doing? We did an 11 day last October, positively loved it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think I missed which Sun cruise you were doing? We did an 11 day last October, positively loved it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are on another 7 day Western Caribbean again. I really wish it was the Southern 11 day. :cool: Some day.

Thanks for the update on the ring. I was afraid to ask. Definitely contact NCL to get in touch with the jeweler on board. Hopefully they have some sort of warranty or can refund some of your money to get it fixed. If you got it fixed at another place, it would nullify any warranty with the original jeweler.

Please report back. I would hope the jeweler on the ship would set up some sort of repair at a local jeweler or mail it to them directly.

If they don't help you out, it is another sign to NEVER buy expensive things like art or jewelry on a cruise ship.

Keep us posted.

Well, I have never been to St John and hear it's beautiful over there, but I can't compare it to Coki. We ABSOLUTELY loved Coki. If we go back, we will probably go there again. The snorkeling was just that amazing. I do think it was even better than Sapphire, but Sapphire just had a different atmosphere. Sapphire is absolutely gorgeous and I think it's because of all the natural shade with the grape trees. But Coki is still beautiful.

We had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS at all at Coki. There was no one that harrassed us. There was no "funny smells" of weed coming from anywhere. Never once did we feel unsafe. Like I said, this place was not at all what I had pictured before I got there, but my mind was at ease the entire time I was there.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

AMAZING review! You may have already answered this (i'm only on page 18), but were there bathrooms at Coki Beach in St. Thomas and, if so and if you used them, were they ok?

Thanks for the update on the ring. I was afraid to ask. Definitely contact NCL to get in touch with the jeweler on board. Hopefully they have some sort of warranty or can refund some of your money to get it fixed. If you got it fixed at another place, it would nullify any warranty with the original jeweler.

Please report back. I would hope the jeweler on the ship would set up some sort of repair at a local jeweler or mail it to them directly.

If they don't help you out, it is another sign to NEVER buy expensive things like art or jewelry on a cruise ship.

Keep us posted.

Yes, it came with a certificate of Authenticity and a 2 year warranty. I also started thinking about the warranty when I walked out of the jeweler yesterday and started thinking that if anything else was to go wrong with the ring (like loosing some diamonds or whatever) and I got it fixed somewhere else, it would void the warranty all together. When I came home to read the warranty, they won't even let you have the ring sized somewhere else without it voiding the warranty.

The company is based in Miami. It also says "All returns for repair are subject to inspection and must include original packaging and waranty" Yikes, when we purchased the ring, the person that sold it to me ask if I wanted to have the box (since I immediately put the ring on). Good thing I told her yes. Is that their way of voiding the warranty? Tricky. I also still have the little bag it came in as well. I guess we'll see.

AMAZING review! You may have already answered this (i'm only on page 18), but were there bathrooms at Coki Beach in St. Thomas and, if so and if you used them, were they ok?

Yes there are bathroom as Coki. I would have to ask some of the others what they were like. I didn't use them since I went to the restroom prior to leaving for the port and then again once we arrived back in port. (I have the ability to hold it for a long time working in the ED and all. :D). I know my husband used them quite often...but then again, he probably really didn't pay attention to the place he was in as long as there was a place to aim. :p

Actually I just googled the restrooms there...so not my pictures...but it says they also have showers as well.

4237684308.jpg

1152191058.jpg

Coki_Point_bathhouse_6-28-11.jpg

They sunk a lot of money into this place to renovate it. It's nice. :)

Edited by mitsugirly

FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE PORTS:

ST MAARTEN

MULLET BAY:

PROS:

I would go here again in a heartbeat. It was beautiful and the water there was calm the day we were there. I enjoyed exploring around the rocky area on foot. I would probably try to explore a little more up and down the beach instead of sticking to just in front of our lounge chairs and over to the rocks.

I thought the chair rental was reasonable and the food and drinks were about what every other place offers. The soda was nice and ice cold. Soda $2.00 Beer $2.50 Fries $4.00

Beautiful sand and no issues with rocks in the water.

There were plenty of sea shells for the kids to collect and they enjoyed it.

Only a few vendors that stopped by to offer goods and then left. They did not hassle you.

A super easy walk over to Maho to watch the planes come in if you want 15 minutes.

You can see the planes coming into Maho from this area. They are low, but they are just not over top of your head.

Some iguanas walking around the rocky area and out past the parking lot.

Close to shopping and various other restaurants in town if you want to walk there.

CONS:

No restroom facilities. They had a clean decent smelling porta-potty. This can be a big deal to some (not to us). It’s better than camping in the woods. ;)

It’s not really a snorkeling place, but you will see fish (after all, it is the ocean) and you will find plenty of prickly sea urchins here….I mean TONS.

WOULD I GO HERE AGAIN? Definitely would.

WOULD I SUGGEST IT TO OTHERS: Definitely would.

MAHO BEACH:

PROS:

This is not your normal “airport” and it’s a must-see when in St Maarten.

You haven’t watched planes come in until you’ve been to Maho where it feels like they are only a few feet from your head. It’s an amazing site.

Two places to get drinks and food while you are there.

Sunset-Nice facility with a huge deck to sit at a table, chairs, and umbrella to eat while watching the planes come in. Nice bathroom facility. A garden hose to wash the sand off your feet before leaving. More crowded than Driftwood.

Driftwood-other side of the beach and a small boat where they serve good food and good drinks. No restroom facilities that I know of (unless there’s a porta-potty somewhere that I didn’t notice). Free lounge chairs to use on the beach. Less crowded than Sunset. Cheeseburger & fries meal $11. Beer $2.50. Soada $2.00.

The big planes usually come in after noon.

CONS:

The beach is not a “good” beach. There’s very little room and it’s on a slope. Once you get into the water, it drops rather quickly (watch your little ones and even your drunk spouse). The waves can be very brutal at times.

Definitely no snorkeling here and like always a few fish hanging out in the area. Nothing special.

The beach can definitely get crowded during peak times of the day when the planes come in.

It can be a mad house trying to catch a cab back if you go at the same time everyone else is leaving, but never an issue getting one eventually.

WOULD I GO HERE AGAIN? Nope, I have been twice now. That’s enough for me. I will move on to other places to experience more of the island.

WOULD I SUGGEST IT TO OTHERS? Yep, absolutely. It’s a must-do at least once type of thing.

ST THOMAS:

COKI BEACH:

PROS:

Absolutely the best snorkeling ever. The sea life is just that amazing here. Simply walk out into the water and you are there. You will see so many things here. It’s just a must-do.

Sandy bottom ocean in the middle for those that just want to swim.

You can go out pretty far along the edges of the rocks and water and it’s still pretty shallow for snorkeling.

Plenty of water sports if you so desire and scuba.

Friendly non-pushy vendors that won’t hassle you.

You get your own waitress or waiter for the day and can run up a tab and pay at the end or pay as you go.

Restroom and shower facility.

Equipment rental for snorkeling.

Good price for chair rental $5.00 & umbrella $10. Soda $2.00

Several areas to wash the sand off your feet and body prior to leaving.

Water was not rough.

CONS:

Drinks can be a little pricey. Frozen drinks $9.00

Staff can get a little upset if you don’t stick with “your” person for ordering all day.

Not much natural shade.

WOULD I GO BACK? ABSOLUTELY!!!! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE? ABSOLUTELY!! It has a little bit of something for everyone whether you snorkel or just swim (or relax).

NASSAU, BAHAMAS

BLUE LAGOON:

PROS:

Beautiful place and very nice island!

Plenty of interactions with animals if you want to do the swims.

Very nice grounds with beautiful landscaping.

The place is laid out very well.

Gift shop, dressing rooms and restrooms.

PLENTY of chairs and table to eat at.

Tons of loungers, chairs and hammocks.

Several different beach areas.

Life guards at both the beach (one side) and the water park.

Definitely a place for kids AND adults with the water park, animals, and the land blow up toys.

LOTS of water activities: trike, canoes and so on.

Shallow water and no waves (I mean after all, it’s a lagoon).

Several areas to spread out away from the crowd.

They give you maps of the place as you enter. It’s a fairly big place.

Plenty of shade both right by the beach and on the grounds.

A good variety of food with the day pass.

(My son said it was his most favorite port of the cruise and wished that every place we went to was like this ;) )

CONS:

Not enough time there to do everything. I would have loved to spend the entire day there.

Some say the ferry ride over to the island is too long and takes 40 minutes. Please understand that this is due to the no wake area by the ships and the houses along the water. They gather speed the further they get away from this area and then speed up a lot ocean out in the open to the island. Honestly, I enjoyed the ride. They gave information and told about the homes in the area. Staff was very friendly and it honestly did not seem like it was a 40 minute ride. I’m almost sure it wasn’t. PRO on the ferry-they had drinks and chips available for purchase (Soda $2.50) in case you needed to quench your thirst on the way over and staff was friendly. Given several options to return was also a nice gesture and made the day longer.

WOULD I GO BACK? ABSOLUTELY.

WOULD I RECOMMEND? ABSOLUTELY. Great for all ages of the family. Very nice day on a beautiful island.

THE GETAWAY:

What a beautiful, new, big and plenty to do type of ship!!!

The décor is neutral tones and a very up to date modern look.

Tons of restaurants to choose from whether you are looking for free dining or pay. There’s something for everyone. They have stepped up the MDR with now 3 restaurants to choose from.

The buffet is HUGE and very long and on both sides.

The water park is simply amazing. Something for everyone from wee little ones at the SpongeBob waterpark to teens and adults on the water slides.

The rooms are beautiful with plenty of storage and the shower was amazing.

The food was good as always (with some things being excellent and others being ok). The deserts-well, they just can’t seem to get it right on NCL for some reason. I’m really upset that they no longer offer just regular cheesecake. It was always my “to-go-to” desert and now it’s gone. The ice cream (both soft serve and hard) is amazing and so are the crapes. There’s plenty of food to choose from and if you can’t find anything…then you have issues.

I highly recommend the iConceirge program. We used it a lot and thought it was well worth the money if you are going to be split up at any time from the people you are traveling with…on such a huge ship.

The staff was amazing and friendly just like always.

The new picture Kiosk to be able to snap a picture and immediately post it to your facebook or send an email to family…excellent idea.

The face recognition and photography having the ability to type in your cabin number when they take your picture=the greatest thing ever.

Kids club staff=amazing as always. The activities they do with the kids and the themes=amazing as always.

Illusionarium=EXCELLENT SHOW. Worth every penny (although we didn’t care for the food).

The Flamingo Grill-adding more free options to breakfast and lunch is a winner in my book. Never crowded and different food.

THE SUGARY WHIPPED TOPPING!!!! TO DIE FOR!!!

Teppanyaki-EXCELLENT from start to finish with both the atmosphere to the cook to the food.

Added extras like the pin bowling and arcade games in that area was a nice added touch and fun.

Golfing, the plank, zip lining and the ropes course=amazing! How could someone not have fun here? (Even the little one’s on the spider climb and the trampline).

80’s party was a blast and the fireworks were simply amazing….tear

The kids circus show is always fun for the kids and glad they do it on every ship.

The chandelier that changes colors, the “stars” in the ceiling and the lighted staircase that also changed colors were amazing and beautiful.

I loved that the sliding doors had the actual kid lock on the very top of them. Definitely made it better for those with kids instead of it being on the handle where they can reach.

I actually loved the keycard in the slot idea and pulling when you leave (of course for other reasons that what someone would normally like them for….when it’s time to go, it’s time to go…momma has control and pulls the card and the tv goes off…winning). However, it can be a nuisance if you are trying to charge things back in the room while you’re gone.

Now the not so good???

Where was washy-washy? Seriously. There wasn’t anyone around telling anyone to wash their hands going into the restaurants or buffet like there is on the other ships. They had the hand sanitizer pole at each entrance, but you all know how many people will just walk by it if not told to wash your hands. No washy-washy- happy-happy songs as you enter the buffet area or anything. The only time you would ever find someone standing around with the squirt bottle was coming back from port.

Where is the chocolate buffet? Did they stop doing them on the new ships? (Not that I eat chocolate or anything, but I do always enjoy going and getting pictures of the amazing work they do with chocolate).

Having to book shows-UGH! I just hated it. I missed just being able to walk into the theater every night at one of the 2 showings, getting a seat and seeing something new every night. On this ship, if you don’t book ahead, you don’t see the show unless you are willing to stand around waiting to see if there are seats available from no-shows and then again, you may not sit together. Not my idea of a fun night.

There were just too many venues to be able to go to them all. Even the comedy shows in the smaller rooms made it so we couldn’t go because of too many people. I guess that’s what happens when there’s so many people on such a huge ship.

Giving us 2 luggage tags…really? For 4 people in a room?

I could not believe the gift shops didn’t cater a little more to the young children, especially since this was a Nickelodeon ship and there are tons of kids on it. Just not enough choices to choose from and no stuffed animals.

Nickelodeon themed ship, but not many meet & greets like the other ships.

Salt water pools. Ugh. I swear when we were on the Epic they still used salt water for their pools (obviously), but had some type of filtration system that made it seem like it was regular water. What happened here? The water was very salty and not what I expected.

The constant water on my balcony. There should have been a drain there like there was on all of the other balconies. I’m not sure what was going on. You would also think on a hot day, it would dry up but yet there the water was all the time.

Dolce Gelato=just not worth it to me. The ice-cream was melted and I thought the ice-cream in the buffet tasted a lot better.

No drawers in the cabin…ugh, just weird to put my undies on a shelf.

Glow Party-I seriously think I like the white hot party. Maybe it was just that they didn’t play any of the normal songs that go to dances on this ship. Everything was Latin/Spanish and it was just odd. Also the H20 was just simply WAY TO SMALL to throw parties at. That many people on a ship and this small area in front of the t.v. screen was just very uncomfortable for both watching the fireworks and dancing. It just didn’t feel right for some reason. I think I have enjoyed myself more on the other ships during these themed parties.

The 80’s party for the same reason as above (but of course it wasn’t Latin/Spanish)…no room for dancing or the fireworks. I’m sorry but the “guest appearance” routine was just plain dumb and silly. Not at all entertaining (not only for me, but I could see the expressions on others faces too) although I’m sure there were probably those out there that enjoyed it. Just not my cup of tea and a waste of time.

The pool area….doesn’t have any area to dance at. What the frick? Like sail away parties pool side is what usually gets the party started with the music and dancing. There was music, but no dancing because THERE’S NO ROOM. Yuck.

I have to say that I like the Blue Lagoon better than O’Sheehans. The wings are so hot and wet at O’Sheehans that I always end up taking my towel and rolling them in it to take the sauce off. Now that the cheesecake is gone (and it’s a brownie cheesecake instead), it’s disappointing.

Casino-I really expected with such a big ship that the casino would be similar to the Epic with 2 levels. But it seemed small to me and so spread out between different rooms and sides of the ship, then several different hallways. It’s was just a little weird (although I got used to it). But, the really odd thing was they didn’t have any of the slots that are usually on all the other ships. They are usually the ones that everyone is always playing all the time. Why mess with a good thing? Also I noticed there wasn’t a restroom anywhere near the casino (unless I missed it and I did look several times). You had to walk quite a ways down the hall to find one and it seemed like they were always being cleaned when we needed them. I have always found that there’s a restroom right off to the casino on the other ships right? I mean drinking + gambling = multiple potty runs per session.

Lobster at the buffet now-although I don’t mind it being at the buffet now and helping yourself, it was just not good. They were small and still stuck to the outside and kind of rubbery. It just killed the experience.

Ordering a movie on the t.v. and when it stops playing, no way to get back to where you left off at=bummer.

FORGETTING MY LATITUDES SHIP PIN FOR THE SECOND CRUISE. Am I tagged for no pins? Lol

LeBistro area in the Atrium. I just feel like this would be such a neat place to hang out and there just wasn’t any chairs here to do so. It was only for dining there and people walking to the other side of the ship or up the stairs.

The balcony-I have to admit, I like the cove balcony better than a regular balcony. The cove is just amazing. It blocks the air, the sun beating down on you and even has a ledge to put drinks or prop your feet up around the window part. I just really enjoyed it a lot more than the regular balcony.

These balcony rooms are just crappy in my opinion. Not being able to look down and see the water was disappointing. Having to stare at the waterfronts ugly silver roof was just a put off for me. It also made for crappy pictures as well.

Having to wear an arm band all week for Sakari was not fun. She hates them and constantly begged to take it off. If you remove it, you pay $5 for it or can’t go back to the kids club. It doesn’t have any of their information on it…it just has their location to meet in case the ship sinks. ;)

The cabins hard beds. What the heck? I remember the Epic when new and the beds were AMAZING! There was so much talk on these boards about “where can I buy one of those mattresses?” Whoever they are using now should take all the beds and burn them in a bonfire when in port and start over. It was probably the hardest bed on any ship ever.

For it to be a new ship, it sure had a lot of creaking going on in the room.

The issues we had with our room cards over and over for the first 3 or so days was just ridiculous. I’m not sure just what the problem was or how hard it was to just use 1 card for 2 rooms.

La Cucina-not the greatest experience and I won’t go back. Since we didn’t have to pay for this dining, it’s a good thing. They got our (my) order wrong, didn’t come back when I ask the waitress to take a picture of us there, and avoided us most of the night. It’s definitely not a $15 meal for sure. Just some noodles with sauce thrown on it. My homemade alfredo would blow this stuff out of the water.

TOO MANY PEOPLE. It says that the ship holds 3,969 at double occupancy (I believe) and we were sailing with 4,400 people this week. YIKES. That meant there were a lot of families like ours with 4 people booked to a room which made for a very busy ship.

Last but not least….not knowing Kevin Sheehan was on board!!!! Darn ship was too big for me to run into him and get another chat and picture. The last time I seen him was on the Pearl. Such a nice guy. I guess he got on the Getaway in St Maarten and off in Nassau (I’m told). Kicking myself for not knowing and keeping an eye out for him (no I’m not a stalker). hehe

My final thoughts:

I absolutely love the new and big ships. They have the most beautiful décor and are so extravagant. They have some of the best options for dining, playing, pool time and so on.

My favorite cruise ship so far has been the Epic. I miss her so. I know she was one of those ships that either you love her or you hate her. I was one of the many that absolutely loved her. After sailing on the Epic we have been on the older and smaller ships. I was so afraid that I would be so disappointed because none of them would compare to the Epic. While I haven’t found a smaller ship that I liked more than the Epic, I have found a few that I really liked with the Spirit being the number 1 smaller ship in my book.

However, now I have been on another big and new ship with even more to do. I just knew that the Getaway was going to become my “new” favorite ship. However, this is not true. I actually think this cruise has made me realize something. I actually do enjoy cruising on the smaller ships indeed. I know weird right?

I missed going to the theater every night and just showing up and watching a different show each time.

I missed how easy it was to get from point A to point B in very little time.

I missed the “calmness” of the smaller ships. It was more like a vacation (even though I’m constantly on the go, go, go, I was always relaxed and never felt pressured).

I missed the ships that have the beautiful stories tall atrium with the glass elevator (Star, Spirit and Dream). For a new ship, it’s all about the added space and what can you do with it to make more things there.

I missed having less people on the ship. ;) When you meet friends or cruising with friends, it’s so much easier to run in to them over and over or find them when you are looking for them on the small ships.

The Getaway just felt different. I don’t know if it was because of the size, the actual events that happened to me leading up to the cruise and during the cruise (missed flight, broken toe, tooth falling out), the entire family being there and trying to coordinate everything, the stressful month leading up to the cruise (finals, graduation and moving the week before the cruise), the way the shows and entertainment was ran, or is it actually that the ship just had SO MUCH to do and not enough time to do it? I’m really not sure. Could it be that our Epic cruise had absolutely the BEST roll call I have ever been on? We all clicked, we all remained friends, we still talk, we still cruise together. Maybe that makes a difference. I’m just not sure.

I am putting a lot of thought into my (fingers crossed) Bermuda cruise next year (in the planning) and really starting to think that I would much rather go on the Dawn than the Breakaway. Since I have been on the Star (and I know how beautiful it is), I pretty much know what to expect from the Dawn. Since I have now been on the Getaway, I know what to expect from the Breakaway as well. However, I have never been to Bermuda, so I really don’t know what to expect while on a ship sitting in port for 3 days straight and being able to come and go when you want. That obviously would give you more time off the ship and less time to do things on the Breakaway. I really think after this cruise, I’m leaning toward the Dawn.

So now I'm officially at the END of my review. I hope you all enjoyed it and it didn't bore you too much with too many pictures. I know I can get winded and this review was no exception. :p I truly appreciate the comments, questions, suggestions and so on. You guys at cc are wonderful people. You have helped me so much when planning cruising and ports and I just love to return the help to others with passing on as much information as I can along with as many pictures as I can to get a better feel for the place. But always remember, everything is subjective and merely my personal opinions. It's my experiences and my observations. It may not come close to or match others experiences or opinions. The world is a diverse place with many varying taste. Always form you own opinions and try things out. A day in the Caribbean is always better than a day at work. ;)

Hehehe :D

I agree...or at least a free cruise or visit to some of the places. :D If some of these places only knew the revenue I probably bring to them based on the reviews and the pictures......

This is so true. Up until reading your review of Junkaroo, I never would have even thought of going there. We have done the itinerary with Nassau 3 times already and we will be there again in October on the Breakaway. We weren't even going to get off the ship this time. But now I think we may go there. I think the "water park" sounds like so much fun!:D

I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews. You are a very talented writer, and you have a way of drawing the reader in. Not many people can do what you do. :)

Also, congratulations on your nursing graduation. You should be really proud of yourself. As someone that doesn't know you, aside from your reviews, I am proud of you!

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to reading your next review.

Yes there are bathroom as Coki. I would have to ask some of the others what they were like. I didn't use them since I went to the restroom prior to leaving for the port and then again once we arrived back in port. (I have the ability to hold it for a long time working in the ED and all. :D). I know my husband used them quite often...but then again, he probably really didn't pay attention to the place he was in as long as there was a place to aim. :p

You are super incredible for googling those pics for me, thank you!!!

HaHa, guys have it so easy sometimes. I used to be able to hold it forever like you, but the older I get, the less I can hold it, and something tells me that the frozen drinks at the beach will catch up with me!!

This is so true. Up until reading your review of Junkaroo, I never would have even thought of going there. We have done the itinerary with Nassau 3 times already and we will be there again in October on the Breakaway. We weren't even going to get off the ship this time. But now I think we may go there. I think the "water park" sounds like so much fun!:D

I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews. You are a very talented writer, and you have a way of drawing the reader in. Not many people can do what you do. :)

Also, congratulations on your nursing graduation. You should be really proud of yourself. As someone that doesn't know you, aside from your reviews, I am proud of you!

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to reading your next review.

OK. Maybe it wasn't Junkanoo. What was the excursion name?

Juankanoo is a little public beach that's located right off the main road there past the straw market at the port. :D I have been there too many years ago.

The place we went was Blue Lagoon. It's an island. :)

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. I don't know about a talented writer, I just tell it like it is. Yes, our lives are full of fun and jokes all the time.

I super duper appreciate the comments and I can't wait to go on my next cruise and do it all again. :D