Slow Sea Princess

Looks as though Princess expects to operate the NZ cruise -

From Cruise Weekly 16 Sep 2014

Princess planning repairs

After the post-boarding cancellation of its 13 Sep Fremantle - Brisbane cruise and several months of sailing at reduced speed, Princess Cruises’ Sea Princess is expected to be shipshape before its next scheduled sailing on 29 Sep.

The troubled ship, also hit by a norovirus outbreak on the previous voyage, had been forced to skip ports of call on various itineraries this year due to an ongoing issue with the crankshaft, but then faced additional technical problems last weekend.

“Sea Princess was originally scheduled to stay overnight in Fremantle on Saturday to continue a program of work on a crankshaft on one of the ship’s four engines that was already in progress,” a Princess Cruises spokesperson told Cruise Weekly.

“While in Fremantle, our technical experts identified an issue with a propeller shaft bearing, leading to a decision to complete the original program of work and the new technical repair together in dry dock.”

The 1900-pax ship departed Fremantle last night & is currently on its way to its Sydney dry dock.

“Work will start as soon as the ship reaches Sydney to ensure she is ready for her next cruise, a 14-night cruise to New Zealand departing Brisbane on Sep 29,” the line’s spokesperson said.

All guests who were booked on the 13 Sep 16-night cruise have been assisted with arrangements to return home and will receive a full refund of the cruise fare plus a 100% future cruise credit.

Edited by Sandielle

After the post-boarding cancellation of its 13 Sep Fremantle - Brisbane cruise and several months of sailing at reduced speed, Princess Cruises’ Sea Princess is expected to be shipshape before its next scheduled sailing on 29 Sep.

The troubled ship, also hit by a norovirus outbreak on the previous voyage, had been forced to skip ports of call on various itineraries this year due to an ongoing issue with the crankshaft, but then faced additional technical problems last weekend.

“Sea Princess was originally scheduled to stay overnight in Fremantle on Saturday to continue a program of work on a crankshaft on one of the ship’s four engines that was already in progress,” a Princess Cruises spokesperson told Cruise Weekly.

“While in Fremantle, our technical experts identified an issue with a propeller shaft bearing, leading to a decision to complete the original program of work and the new technical repair together in dry dock.”

The 1900-pax ship departed Fremantle last night & is currently on its way to its Sydney dry dock.

“Work will start as soon as the ship reaches Sydney to ensure she is ready for her next cruise, a 14-night cruise to New Zealand departing Brisbane on Sep 29,” the line’s spokesperson said.

All guests who were booked on the 13 Sep 16-night cruise have been assisted with arrangements to return home and will receive a full refund of the cruise fare plus a 100% future cruise credit.

Thanks for the update, it gives them a week to fix the issue. * days to repair the ship and get her up to Brisbane. I sure hope that is enough time.:D

Would have more validity if this information came from CEO, rather than a nameless line's spokesperson.

I know of someone who is booked on 13th September cruise and suggested she phone her TA. She said she had only heard "to print her boarding pass". She phoned her TA, who said she hadn't heard anything, so TA phoned Princess who said cruise is scheduled to depart on 13th Sept., at this stage.

Communication seems to still be a problem. Surely Princess would be in regular communication with its TAs on matters such as this!

Would have more validity if this information came from CEO, rather than a nameless line's spokesperson.

I know of someone who is booked on 13th September cruise and suggested she phone her TA. She said she had only heard "to print her boarding pass". She phoned her TA, who said she hadn't heard anything, so TA phoned Princess who said cruise is scheduled to depart on 13th Sept., at this stage.

Communication seems to still be a problem. Surely Princess would be in regular communication with its TAs on matters such as this!

I think they missed the boat.

All guests who were booked on the 13 Sep 16-night cruise have been assisted with arrangements to return home and will receive a full refund of the cruise fare plus a 100% future cruise credit

What does the 100% future cruise credit mean - as I read that paragraph - it means 2 cruises to me - don't suppose it is - but what does it mean? :confused:

All guests who were booked on the 13 Sep 16-night cruise have been assisted with arrangements to return home and will receive a full refund of the cruise fare plus a 100% future cruise credit

What does the 100% future cruise credit mean - as I read that paragraph - it means 2 cruises to me - don't suppose it is - but what does it mean? :confused:

Yes, it is their money back and also a free cruise (I would imagine of the same value, i.e. 16 night cruise).:D

I am just now booking the sea princess 29 Sept cruise out of Brisbane. The inside single fare has been reduced for new bookings. Please can you tell me if Sea Princess has an elite lounge for 5pm drinks like the Diamond Princess has.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/q

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Nor does Sun or Dawn.

I think a free cruise plus refund is ok.

Although it would be VERY disappointing turning up there and having the cruise cancelled (VERY DISAPPOINTING), I think in terms of response from the cruise line, the refund plus the free cruise (value of 16 nights!) plus flying people home is great.

Also, as has been mentioned it's way better than being stranded out to sea.

Edited by Hazydavo

Although it would be VERY disappointing turning up there and having the cruise cancelled (VERY DISAPPOINTING), I think in terms of response from the cruise line, the refund plus the free cruise (value of 16 nights!) plus flying people home is great.

Also, as has been mentioned it's way better than being stranded out to sea.

Yes, it is. Bear in mind we do not know the exact details of what the free cruise entitlements are. We are only assuming it is of an equal value and length.:D

Yes, it is. Bear in mind we do not know the exact details of what the free cruise entitlements are. We are only assuming it is of an equal value and length.:D

Yes, we are assuming that...let's hope this will be the case for our cruise fellow buddys!

It means the refund, plus the value of your original booking on a current fare.

How you apply it is up to you e.g. you could get a higher value cabin on a shorter cruise, or a cheaper cabin on a longer cruise. The number of days and itinerary, and cabin grade are at your choice, so ultimate flexibility.

Edited by The_Big_M

I see its just about to track past Melbourne doing 16kts so should be on time into Sydney for her repairs.

Yep according to Marine Traffic site it's just passing Warrnambool, "around the corner" from Melbourne. Sorry if I missed it but when did it leave Fremantle and when is it due in Sydney? How long's this ghost voyage? Must be strange to be aboard her for the staff...

Yep according to Marine Traffic site it's just passing Warrnambool, "around the corner" from Melbourne. Sorry if I missed it but when did it leave Fremantle and when is it due in Sydney? How long's this ghost voyage? Must be strange to be aboard her for the staff...

I believe it left the 14th arrives the 21st.:D