Live from the Dawn - ROUGH SEAS !

Hi - headed back to Boston - very rough seas - was rough all day yesterday - same all day today..

They are still laying new carpet in (it appears) all of the public areas - caused a little bit of a traffic jam this morning where the area is roped off - everyone is INSIDE - too cold and windy to be outside

I must take back what I said about our Concierge - John - he noticed that we had reservations at the Japanese restaurant (our favourite ) again - for the last night of the cruise - and came to find us - to tell us that there was a large family group with children - booked for the same time ! - Did we want him to try to change our reservations to a later sitting ? - yes yes yes !! (which he was able to do)

Room is really "rocking" now - Captain just came on intercom - almost apologized for the rough seas - announced that the outside air temperature is 64 degrees (brrr.....) - (we are from Arizona)

Lots and lots of people standing in line at the Customer services desk - I guess to settle accounts ? -

Darn - have to pack our bags tonight and get ready to leave the ship tomorrow morning - a little surprised that priority debarkation is not until 9:00 AM - great - time for one last breakfast at Cagney's !

What is the wave height on the information channel? We were on the first sailing out of Boston in May and also had John, we didn't need him for much but he was very nice and always letting us know to contact him if we needed anything.

Edited by Mkel3434

when it gets rough heading home we usually lounge around and read. The worst we have been in was between 2 storms heading back from Bermuda in the fall, after that I started taking a Bonine each day as a preventative on all cruises (when at sea) works for us.

Did a RCCL repo cruise from San Juan to Norfolk, VA. a few years ago.

It was RCCL's smallest ship at the time. The two nights from Bermuda to Norfolk was pretty bouncy.

DW woke up one morning feeling pretty sick. It seems her patch had come off in the night.

We are sailing on Dawn the end of October. Guess we'll just have to go with the flow or the bounce.

On the Breakaway last week we had two smooth days on the way down to BDA. On the way back we had slightly rough seas with wave heights between 8 to 12 feet. The BA handled it really well.

I'm surprised on the Dawn they haven't deployed the stabilizers a bit since the ship is slowly coming back. We've had some bad weather here in Boston with high winds (yesterday) so I'm sure that helped to kick up the ocean. :cool:

...I'm surprised on the Dawn they haven't deployed the stabilizers a bit since the ship is slowly coming back. ...

Where did it say they had not deployed the stabilizers? Pretty sure they use them most of the time.

Where did it say they had not deployed the stabilizers? Pretty sure they use them most of the time.

It didn't say they weren't using them. However, if they were the ship wouldn't be rolling as much unless the report on the TV was inaccurate. :cool: Stabilizers would help reduce the port to starboard rolling better though. :) Rolling of the ship is always something subjective though.

People on the BA said we were rolling a lot on the way back from BDA last week and it wasn't that bad. The Trans-Atlantic was far worse on most days then that one day last week!

It didn't say they weren't using them. However, if they were the ship wouldn't be rolling as much unless the report on the TV was inaccurate. :cool: Stabilizers would help reduce the port to starboard rolling better though. :) Rolling of the ship is always something subjective though.

People on the BA said we were rolling a lot on the way back from BDA last week and it wasn't that bad. The Trans-Atlantic was far worse on most days then that one day last week!

What report on the TV? Who said the ship was rolling?

So many variable on how the ships handles the sea.

Speed, angle, the use of stabilizer, wind, etc...

I have had 18-20 foot sea on the Gem and it was really rough, barf bag everywhere, half of the ship was sitting in the Atrium to minimize the movement of the ship.

And I have had 25-28 foot sea on the BA ( I think..or was it the Gem also :confused: ) and the ship was not moving at all :eek:, it was unbelievable.

The Navigation Channel on the TV shows the sea conditions but I believe most of it is punched in manually by someone on the bridge into a computer. I didn’t say the ship was rolling, the OP did. I was stating about how the stabilizers work.

Rough seas is my worse fear, I expect it, but since it's my first cruise I don't know what it feels like. Hoping for smooth waters in July

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love it when the ship starts to rock and roll...it's like being rocked to sleep. I'm lucky and have never been sea sick, but there is always an exception to the rule. I believe it is a mindset, if you expect to be sick, you will be. Before I get yelled at for that comment, let me clarify and say that being sea sick is very real. I just think you can tilt the balance with a positive attitude. :D

I lived on a small boat for years, and it's my opinion that I'm stating.

To be on the safe side, since you don't know how you will react to rough seas, I would get the patch from your Dr and put it on before you board. There is no way to predict the seas, so just look forward to the cruise.

I think I am more worried about being scared of the rock and roll than being sick. I do not get sick on whale watching boats or ferries so hopefully I will be ok. I am bringing bonine and nueropath meds and ginger tabs just incase. I am so looking forward to the cruise. The days cannot come fast enough. :o

It didn't say they weren't using them. However, if they were the ship wouldn't be rolling as much unless the report on the TV was inaccurate. :cool: Stabilizers would help reduce the port to starboard rolling better though. :) Rolling of the ship is always something subjective though......

...I'm surprised on the Dawn they haven't deployed the stabilizers ...

Stabilizers may well have been in use. It only HELPS but does not stop motion from rough seas. Left, right, up, down, etc. Your post made it appear they were not using them.

Edited by garycarla

Stabilizers may well have been in use. It only HELPS but does not stop motion from rough seas. Left, right, up, down, etc. Your post made it appear they were not using them.

Depending on the speed of the ship they may not have been using them. That's a variable we don't know. :)

I think I am more worried about being scared of the rock and roll than being sick. I do not get sick on whale watching boats or ferries so hopefully I will be ok. I am bringing bonine and nueropath meds and ginger tabs just incase. I am so looking forward to the cruise. The days cannot come fast enough. :o

Ginger, Bonine and neuropath meds are all good choices. As to being afraid of the rock and roll, why? Other then making sure you hold a railing while traversing the hallways for safety, there is nothing to be scared of. The ships are designed to handle the seas better then we do. At night, you get rocked to sleep. You'll love it.

We had two beautiful, calm as glass days down to Bermuda on Breakaway this week. Yesterday and today were both gorgeous in Bermuda-76 degrees or so, lots of sun. Today was a little bit windier than Wednesday though. Hoping for a calm sea day tomorrow night & Saturday for the sail home.