Book princess last minute?

murphy4

Okay opinions needed. We had to cancel our Alaska cruise in June 2014 due to a medical issue. I have been looking at prices for this June and they are very very low. If I were going to book my cruise for next June what are the opinions of booking last minute?

I was thinking of booking my flights ahead of time and all of my land excursions which I had already booked for this year independently. I would do the land portion on my own and then just join the cruise does this seem like a wise or feasible idea?

Princess almost always has empty cabins, and prices for them generally drop substantially after Final Payment date for a given sailing has passed. If you're a gambler, your odds are good that it would work. The downside, of course, may be that you get a cabin that nobody else wanted - for us, that's the deal-breaker but YMMV.

Edited by huskyguy

They've offered great last minute deals for the past 4 yrs that I've been watching. As do other cruiselines but not like Princess. The lowest I've seen was $399 out of Whittier.

Is the cabin location a concern? For as little time as I spend in the cabin it wouldn't matter. Plus I sleep like a rock!

I guess worst case scenario (but highly unlikely) ... NO cabins are available, so you'd need to have a back up plan for your week in the Seattle/Vancouver area or check the other cruiselines.

They've offered great last minute deals for the past 4 yrs that I've been watching. As do other cruiselines but not like Princess. The lowest I've seen was $399 out of Whittier.

Is the cabin location a concern? For as little time as I spend in the cabin it wouldn't matter. Plus I sleep like a rock!

I guess worst case scenario (but highly unlikely) ... NO cabins are available, so you'd need to have a back up plan for your week in the Seattle/Vancouver area or check the other cruiselines.

I can tell you this first time cruiser is not happy....I bought and paid for my NCL cruise coming up this Sunday leaving Seattle....I paid $4200 for 3 people in a mini suite. I now notice the same cabin is about $900 cheaper for the 3 of us......if I cruise again I certainly will not book it in advance. I understand why the lines do it but it sure pisses me off when I see the lower price now....

I can tell you this first time cruiser is not happy....I bought and paid for my NCL cruise coming up this Sunday leaving Seattle....I paid $4200 for 3 people in a mini suite. I now notice the same cabin is about $900 cheaper for the 3 of us......if I cruise again I certainly will not book it in advance. I understand why the lines do it but it sure pisses me off when I see the lower price now....

But as a last minute traveller you might not get a mini-suite. Would you settle for an inside cabin ?

Won't NCL give you an onboard credit or credit of any kind?

But as a last minute traveller you might not get a mini-suite. Would you settle for an inside cabin ?

Won't NCL give you an onboard credit or credit of any kind?

I have not asked for a credit. Should I? I booked the cruise through vacations to go.

Plus last minute airfares may eat up your cruise fare savings. Vancouver is never a cheap airport, and Seattle can get expensive.

The OP said they would buy their tickets ahead of time and hope for the low cruise price.

Please let me know if you contact these companies and how it goes. I'm booked on Princess in July through Vacations to Go. Right now, the rates I paid are still what is being charged. However, if they come down, I'd love to know I could get OBC.

Please let me know if you contact these companies and how it goes. I'm booked on Princess in July through Vacations to Go. Right now, the rates I paid are still what is being charged. However, if they come down, I'd love to know I could get OBC.

Well I got back on the NCL site today and the mini suite is sold out. Yesterday ir was available a cheaper. Guess my time frame to ask is probably a mute point now.

thanks for your response, I am not that picky about cabin locations, we had booked an inside for this year and then had to cancel. just so I got a cabin not over a night club or restaurant I would be happy. I did see that most of the cheaper cabins were way forward on the ship. I would be fine with that. I think I will watch airfare and start by booking that. do you have any referrals for hotels if I do a DIY land tour? I would do Seward & Denali.

Bclinton, you may still want too check with your TA, someone may just have the suite on hold.

With HAL we were given OBC and an upsell to a cabin we really wanted when the price dropped after final payment. We wouldn't have received anything if we hadn't asked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

do you have any referrals for hotels if I do a DIY land tour? I would do Seward & Denali.

Really depends on what you're looking for, your budget, how many people, and if you have a car. Both locations have everything from hostels, B&B's, cabins, lodges, chain hotels, small hotels.

I've only camped in a tent or RV so I can't offer first hand recommendations. 2 sets of friends stayed at Aspen Haus cabins; one a couple, one was a family of 4. Both loved it. The couple also stayed a 2nd time. BQ suggests the Denali Park Hotel; basic looking place but clean and budget friendly.

Best to look thru the options, make a short list and ask for feedback on your top choices:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Same with Seward. My friends stayed at Bears Den B&B and the Best Western. Both enjoyed their stay. Check the town web site for the various options: http://cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/where-to-stay-28.htm

Trip reports are a great place to pick up first hand recommendations. Plus you know if their travel style and requirements match yours.

Book your car this summer. For the last few yrs Enterprise has offered great rates in July, Aug or Sept for the following summer, ie $125 a week. Prices fluctuate greatly so check the web sites frequently for a price drop.

thanks for your opinions, I am pretty sure I am going to pick a week to do the cruise and then just book all my land stuff for the week before, It looks like the longer I wait the better. are you familiar with Princess ships? looks like next year the choices for June would be Star Pincess or Grand Princess for a Saturday departure. thoughts?

Princess has been deep discounting way longer, over 15 years. I never have any problems picking up late bookings. BUT, and a big but is I'm very flexible.

Okay opinions needed. We had to cancel our Alaska cruise in June 2014 due to a medical issue. I have been looking at prices for this June and they are very very low. If I were going to book my cruise for next June what are the opinions of booking last minute?

I was thinking of booking my flights ahead of time and all of my land excursions which I had already booked for this year independently. I would do the land portion on my own and then just join the cruise does this seem like a wise or feasible idea?

If you truly want to take advantage of the last minute give away deals, then you need to be more flexible. Frankly, if you can swing it, I would block my time at 3 weeks, since you want to purchase your air ahead. Unless you were willing to pay what ever rates, with a late booked cruise? With 3 weeks, you will have all of the one way Princess sailings available to you to pick. I would suggest a couple car rental reservations, you can easily cancel, made way in advance.

If you truly want to take advantage of the last minute give away deals, then you need to be more flexible. Frankly, if you can swing it, I would block my time at 3 weeks, since you want to purchase your air ahead. Unless you were willing to pay what ever rates, with a late booked cruise? With 3 weeks, you will have all of the one way Princess sailings available to you to pick. I would suggest a couple car rental reservations, you can easily cancel, made way in advance.

BQ, sorry if I've asked this before. Royal has a sale that 2nd person gets half off. I'm looking at the Radiance for June 5. Would you take the gamble and book that and hoping NOT to miss hubbard glacer or just go ahead and book the Coral/Princess since you get GB - thanks :)

BQ, sorry if I've asked this before. Royal has a sale that 2nd person gets half off. I'm looking at the Radiance for June 5. Would you take the gamble and book that and hoping NOT to miss hubbard glacer or just go ahead and book the Coral/Princess since you get GB - thanks :)

What I would do, has nothing to do with what your choice should be. :)

This has to be determined by you, either could be the "winner".

Is the glacier a priority? then you choice would probably go in the direction of Princess, want to get to Seward, or Hooaah? then RCI.

I suggest you take apart each plan and list how you plan to occupy that time. Costs may or may not be of issue as well.

What I would do, has nothing to do with what your choice should be. :)

This has to be determined by you, either could be the "winner".

Is the glacier a priority? then you choice would probably go in the direction of Princess, want to get to Seward, or Hooaah? then RCI.

I suggest you take apart each plan and list how you plan to occupy that time. Costs may or may not be of issue as well.