First time cruisers

megold

Hey look, its another one of these threads...

Looking for alittle bit of advice, me and my wife are looking on going on a cruise for our one year anniversary. We want to leave out of Galvaston, and go to the Western Caribbean, for the time frame we are looking to go, RC has two different routes. The Ship would be the Navigator of the seas

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> George Town, Grand Cayman >> Falmouth, Jamaica

or a week later

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras

I was leaning towards going on the later trip however, I have a curtsey hold on room 1688 for the earlier trip. Neither room 1388 or 1688 are available for the week after. Looking at some of the excursions, I really think we would enjoy going to Altun Ha or Xunantunich in Belize. Also from what I've heard, there isnt too much in Falmouth other then a big shopping mall. Am I better of with the rear facing corner room with a balcony or would a "standard" balcony room be sufficient with the "better" route, or do I have it all wrong.

If it were you, what route would you go on?

Edited by megold

Not at all a fan of Jamaica, so the second itinerary would be my choice. I think you'll find that many frequent cruisers feel the same way about Jamaica, especially that Falmouth stop. It's not really safe to go beyond the port area.

I can get room 1374 for the trip that goes to Belize , I understand that room is right under windjammer cafe. How is the noise? Is it really noticeable?

Personally, I would not book a cabin under the WJ. Yes, it can be noisy with chairs, carts, silverware dropping, etc. We will only book a cabin which is sandwiched between two decks of cabins.

About the cruise, can you do both weeks as a back-to-back - that would be fabulous. Have done the first itinerary and it was lovely - did not go beyond the gated area in the port of Falmouth. Wouldn't. :) Can't comment on the second itinerary.

Hey look, its another one of these threads...

Looking for alittle bit of advice, me and my wife are looking on going on a cruise for our one year anniversary. We want to leave out of Galvaston, and go to the Western Caribbean, for the time frame we are looking to go, RC has two different routes. The Ship would be the Navigator of the seas

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> George Town, Grand Cayman >> Falmouth, Jamaica

or a week later

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras

I was leaning towards going on the later trip however, I have a curtsey hold on room 1688 for the earlier trip. Neither room 1388 or 1688 are available for the week after. Looking at some of the excursions, I really think we would enjoy going to Altun Ha or Xunantunich in Belize. Also from what I've heard, there isnt too much in Falmouth other then a big shopping mall. Am I better of with the rear facing corner room with a balcony or would a "standard" balcony room be sufficient with the "better" route, or do I have it all wrong.

If it were you, what route would you go on?

I have done both these itineraries. If you have never been, Altun Ha and Xunantunich both are wonderful, so I would choose that one. Xunantunich will be a long bus ride from Belize City; Altun Ha is closer. The ship may have an excursion that combines Altun Ha with a river ride - very worth the price, IMHO.

Be forwarned - Belize is a tender port, so you have a 20 minute + ride on a small boat from the ship to shore. If you tend toward seasickness, take something before you leave! :)

If you can get an aft corner balcony, grab it - it gives you both side and aft views. However, I concur with Langley about not taking a cabin under the WJ. We always take a cabin where the decks above and below are just cabins; it is quieter.

Have fun!

I think there both equal, we were on Navigator a month ago on Cozumel, Mexico >> George Town, Grand Cayman >> Falmouth, Jamaica, we must ge crazy since we like Jamaica, Falmouth area is very safe inside RCCL grounds, there is a really nice Margeritaville with a swim up bar, we booked Navigator for next april also and didn't even look to see what the ports were . Rotan has a great dolphin encounter that we have done several times.