Quick Elation/New oRleans/Coz review-recap 5/22/14

Mike Dante

So, after being in drydock (hate being there) for 2 yrs since our last cruise, we grabbed a pack and go rate for this quick 4 day out of New Orleans. When the wife spends almost as much in the spa as the passenger fare cost, you know we got a good deal--and she deserves it.

This was a last minute 8thgrade graduatiion gift for our son and our 22nd avviversary trip.

Drove in the day before and toured the french quarter. Stayed at the Hilton Riverside--under $100 on LMT--and during the holiday weekend. Stayed 2 days post cruise as well...Enjoyed time in N.O--(more french quarter, garden district, people watching in Jackson Square, Cafe DuMonde several times, Shopping at Riverside and the WW2 museum)

Arrived at port at 10:50..on before 11:15--as platinum, we were in group 1, and were within the first 20 ppl onboard..so it guaranteed me a chance for 4 cruises in a row to be the first in the pool, although my son almost beat me this time...lol... Loved being able to go direct to the cabin, and already the checked luggage was there--another nice platinum perk

Ship was very clean, and the staff was super attentive and friendly. The show Win was enjoyable. We did anytime dining, and only waited for a table once, which was about 20 minutes on formal night. CD was Steve, who we had sailed with yrs back when Elation was out of Mobile.

Really enjoyed the comedian Mutzie..We caught all of his shows. The other comedian , Cowboy was ok, but we didnt care for him enough to go to other shows of his.

We really enjoyed just being out in the sun letting the stress of everyday life melt off of us with every passing day.

In Coz, we did the AI at Mr Sanchos...I wouldnt do it again, because if you cant catch a buzz after 13 drinks , may as well stop trying--the food buffet was decent, and the service was exceptional--Elvis/Edgar were there anytime we needed something....Last time we went to Paradise beach, and will most likely do so again next time, as when we did so, we did the pay as you go for food and drinks, and we spent less and the drinks were better.

Coolest part of the trip was passing the Dream on the Mississippi River on our last night coming back up from the gulf. It was around midnight. Awesome sight to see the ships pass that close.

Happy to answer any ??'s....Theres not alot of Elation info out there, so hopefully this helps someone. As we have been on big small and in between, I would not hesitate to book Elation again for a quick inexpensive trip.

Happy Sails!

We are going on our first cruise ion June 23rd. Me, DH, dd (14), ds(11). I have read a lot of negative and positive comments. What are some of the activities during the day? How was the food.

My daughter and I will also be on the June 23 cruise. We always enjoy being on the Elation.

We are going on our first cruise ion June 23rd. Me, DH, dd (14), ds(11). I have read a lot of negative and positive comments. What are some of the activities during the day? How was the food.

You can look in your Fun Times and find things to do-trivia contests, dance classes, towel folding classes, ice carving demo, karaoke, etc. We have done several of these but we usually end up just lounging out on deck at the back of the boat where there is a small above deck pool and a hot tub. The Elation will be what you want to make of it. Not the largest or fanciest ship but we like it. Big enough but not too big. We are not fans of the Main dining room (nothing against the food) but rather we prefer grabbing something and sitting out on deck to eat at a table. Lido buffet food is ok, (really like the salad bar on Lido), there is 24 hour pizza/calizone and sandwiches and the Mongolian Wok and a few other places to get sandwiches, etc.

Mutzie was on our cruise in August ... loved him, he was hilarious!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Mutzie singled my wife and I out with his flashlight on the last night..we rolled on the floor laughing

You can look in your Fun Times and find things to do-trivia contests, dance classes, towel folding classes, ice carving demo, karaoke, etc. We have done several of these but we usually end up just lounging out on deck at the back of the boat where there is a small above deck pool and a hot tub. The Elation will be what you want to make of it. Not the largest or fanciest ship but we like it. Big enough but not too big. We are not fans of the Main dining room (nothing against the food) but rather we prefer grabbing something and sitting out on deck to eat at a table. Lido buffet food is ok, (really like the salad bar on Lido), there is 24 hour pizza/calizone and sandwiches and the Mongolian Wok and a few other places to get sandwiches, etc.

Well said..for first timers, everything is brand new for you, but you cant do it all...Look at the funtimes the evening before and plan out your day with whatever interests you. We rarely do the activities anymore and just prefer to lounge poolside.

Thanks for your review!

You think 2 years of drydock is bad....try 4:D Yep it has been 4 years since my last cruise, and I am booked for one in November, so excited, but already chomping at the bit, to book a cruise for 2015.

I have decided to do a 4 or 5 nighter in 2015, due to cost factor. ( have to fly from Canada), but Elation looks like she would work for me. Also, I would get to visit with my friend who lives in New Orleans:)

Thanks again for your review, and for planting a seed in my head for 2015.

[quote

In Coz, we did the AI at Mr Sanchos...I wouldnt do it again, because if you cant catch a buzz after 13 drinks , may as well stop trying--the food buffet was decent, and the service was exceptional--Elvis/Edgar were there anytime we needed something....Last time we went to Paradise beach, and will most likely do so again next time, as when we did so, we did the pay as you go for food and drinks, and we spent less and the drinks were better.

Happy Sails!

Curious as to what you were drinking ? We have been to Sanchos several times and thought the drinks were pretty good

Happy Sails!

Curious as to what you were drinking ? We have been to Sanchos several times and thought the drinks were pretty good

Mixture of a few frozens, and then sex on the beach or malibu bay breezes..Even my wife thought the drinks were weak, as back home 2 ritas knock her for a loop...Not on this beach day though... I guess when in doubt stick with beer--cant be watered down.

Thanks for the review. I'm planning one and possibly two cruises on the Elation over the next year, so I appreciate any info.

Did your son like the ship and New Orleans? My DS is about the same age. He appreciates all cruises but I know he prefers the larger ships with the sports deck so he has a place to hang out with new friends. I'm hoping to squeeze in a cheap family 5-day on the Elation, if I think the kids would have a good enough time to make the long drive worth it. N.O. is our closest port but it's still a long day away.

Did you find any quiet places for reading or watching the scenery down the river? I'm taking a friends cruise next winter.

How are the activites for an 8 yr old? We have been on larger boats and and she loves the kids camp. I thought this will be a great Fall Break trip if we can keep her entertained.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! Thinking about going on her in January 2015. Heard of dry dock in September, hoping they add 2.0 upgrades. Ours goes to Cozumel and Progresso. Will contact you if I come up with any questions!

Thanks for the review. I'm planning one and possibly two cruises on the Elation over the next year, so I appreciate any info.

Did your son like the ship and New Orleans? My DS is about the same age. He appreciates all cruises but I know he prefers the larger ships with the sports deck so he has a place to hang out with new friends. I'm hoping to squeeze in a cheap family 5-day on the Elation, if I think the kids would have a good enough time to make the long drive worth it. N.O. is our closest port but it's still a long day away.

Did you find any quiet places for reading or watching the scenery down the river? I'm taking a friends cruise next winter.

He had a blast, as always on Carnival. He loved hanging with his friends in Tiffanys and doing all the Circle C activities....In N.O. he enjoyed seeing the sights and loved eating beignets at Cafe DuMonde...4 times in 2 days,,lol