New question about what to wear.. Ladies only please

shiner6

What type of casual clothing would you recommend for wearing on the ship during sea days in mid-June? I really need help in paring down what I Am bringing and my husband is no help in this important manner. Thanks to all the ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

jeans, khakis, or whatever you would normally wear. If you ran to the store in January at home what would you wear?

Bring a pair of shorts or capris if you wear those ... it might be warm and they take up little space.

Keep in mind that you only need to change the layer next to your skin, so you need a tshirt/long underwear for each day, then 2-3 sweaters/pullovers/hoodys to change into every other day, then a waterproof jacket. No one will notice or care that you wore the same sweater on Sunday and Wednesday.

Thanks! This is exactly what Needed to hear. I started packing today and panicked when I saw the amount of clothing on my bed:eek: Do you change into nicer clothes for dinner every night, or can you wear the same outfit that you had on all day ?

Thanks! This is exactly what Needed to hear. I started packing today and panicked when I saw the amount of clothing on my bed:eek: Do you change into nicer clothes for dinner every night, or can you wear the same outfit that you had on all day ?

Is all I take for the evening meals - if we plan on eating in the Main Dining Room. Otherwise you can eat dinner at the Lido Buffet and wear the same clothes you wore during the day. If you plan on dining at the Pinicale Grill for a NICE dinner you might want to dress up the business casual to something a little nicer.

DH wears a suit if we plan on eating there and I will take along a dressier blouse or sweater with a matching pashmina - (stole) dressy and takes up little space. A pair of dressy flats will round out the ensemble.

It all depends on what you are most comfortable.

What ever you do -- be comfortable in what you wear. Alaska is not as formal as other itineraries so just enjoy your self and have a GREAT cruise.

Barbara

Edited by Okie1946

Is all I take for the evening meals - if we plan on eating in the Main Dining Room. Otherwise you can eat dinner at the Lido Buffet and wear the same clothes you wore during the day. If you plan on dining at the Pinicale Grill for a NICE dinner you might want to dress up the business casual to something a little nicer.

DH wears a suit if we plan on eating there and I will take along a dressier blouse or sweater with a matching pashmina - (stole) dressy and takes up little space. A pair of dressy flats will round out the ensemble.

It all depends on what you are most comfortable.

What ever you do -- be comfortable in what you wear. Alaska is not as formal as other itineraries so just enjoy your self and have a GREAT cruise.

Barbara

I have seen people say on CC they have worn something like black jeans with a dressy top to the dining room. Is that true? That's what I thought I would do except on the dressy nights to save on the weight of my luggage. Then I figured I would wear the same dress to both dressy nights.

We packed too many jeans for our Alaska cruise. This next time, we are just taking 2 pairs and sending them down to be laundered halfway through the cruise.

I took 1 pair of black slacks and about 4 tops to match for dinner and then repeated some of them.

The only thing I felt odd about was I packed black sandals to wear to dinner so I wouldn't have to pack knee hi hose for under my black slacks. I felt like the only person in the dining room without socks on. Next time I'm packing my black Clark shoes and some dark socks. (gone are my days of packing heels for each dinner outfit.)

We packed a waterproof light jacket and purchased fleece jackets for under them on the trip. Fleece jackets were everywhere ranging from 19.99 to 39.99.

Have fun on your trip!!

Cheryl H, we have cruised several times but never to Alaska. I have packed saddles for our cruise and wondered if my feet would freeze :)

I will change, of course, when out on deck.

Were you comfortable with sandals @ dinner?

Cheryl H, we have cruised several times but never to Alaska. I have packed saddles for our cruise and wondered if my feet would freeze :)

I will change, of course, when out on deck.

Were you comfortable with sandals @ dinner?

Yes, I wasn't cold at all. To me, the temperature in the main dining room was the same temp as on our warm weather cruises. And I only felt the twinge of "I'm the only one in sandals" while we were all waiting outside the dining room for the doors to open.

After dinner, we generally go back to our room and change back into our jeans to go to the show. It seems like I had a casual pair of burgandy colored shoes for walking around the ship with jeans on. Then I had sneakers for walking around port. I purchased waterproof sneakers for the trip, but it turned out that I did not need waterproof. I also packed a pair of flip flops for the pool/hottub.

Hee, autocorrect strikes again. I love the image of someone loving their saddles so much they want to bring their own. My next thought was saddle shoes.

I am bringing my own scuba mask so I can't really talk.

Never even thought about nylons for formal night. Glad I'm reading the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you want, you are welcome to view our 2 Alaska picture books in the link below. Mostly we wore short sleeve shirts and our rain coats, with a couple of days of needing the fleece jackets underneath.

We had so many pictures, that I had to make it into two photo books. If you go to the link below, then click on photos and videos...then you see the photo books. The one with the snow capped mountains is book #1. The one with Mendenhall Glacier and waterfall is book #2. Then after the book is opened, you may have to click on full screen to see the pictures.

We tacked on Seattle & Victoria before our northbound trip out of Vancouver.

I hope you all have a fantastic time. We can't wait to go again.

I'm going to Alaska in September, do you think it will be chillier? I've tried to search average temps and it could be in the 70s... but also in the 40s. When we are cruising the glaciers, how cold will it actually be on the ship?

I figured I'd bring a lot of sports-casual type clothes, kind of like Atheltica, Lululemon....(I'm also 27). But I figured if we are doing a lot of active trips it might be good to have, plus they tend to be good in all climates. Plus if it is rainy...wet jeans don't sound fun. Also those clothes are really light weight.

And then maybe a nice dress for formal nights.

As far as jackets/coats go...do you think a standard northface jacket would suffice. I typically wear it in the fall/winter when temps are avg 40s. I really don't want to waste precious suitcase space with a heavy jacket.

Do people pack scarves and gloves or am I over reacting to the potential of "cold" when it will probably be 50s-60s?

Having just got back from Alaska yesterday, I found that most people work jeans, even in the dining room. I wore tennis shoes all day but changed to dressier sandals and tops for dinner. Never considered wearing nylons at all and was not cold on the ship at all. For those outside excursions where it was cold I wore a long sleeve Under Armor shirt, then a sweatshirt, fleece jacket and a windbreaker and was never cold. Weather varied and several days it was very nice, tshirt weather. Oh, I found that I overpackedc - never wore my shorts or capris but the weather was nice enough that I could have. Have a good time.

I'm in Alaska now and I brought only jeans (3 pair) and 1 pair of black slacks for dressy night. I wear jeans most of the time back home and I wanted to feel comfortable here. Watch the weather closely though! I checked it a week prior to leaving and packed based on that (some capri's/short sleeves). I'm mailing my short sleeves back in a box with souvenirs. I tend to stay a bit cold, but I'll be in long sleeves for our entire trip, I'm sure. I'll be updating my review (in my signature) so feel free to browse for more info during/after our trip.

Lots of people were wearing sandals on our cruise last week (myself included), but we had a very warm week. It was mid 60's and sunny nearly every day. I wore a pair of Birkenstocks around the ship all the time, and even to dinner on the first and last nights when it is most casual. I saw people walking around in sandals of all types though.

We did bring a pair of shorts, but never wore them - while the ship was moving the wind was enough to be chilly and our excursions seemed to span enough hours that it was cool when we left in the morning.

I wore black jeans and a nice top for dinner, my daughters wore colored or patterned jeans and nice tops. But many looked to be wearing what they had on for the day.

Our layering for daytime worked perfectly - we had 2 long sleeved shirts and more short sleeved shirts that we then layered with waterproof/windbreaker jackets and fleece jackets as needed. I had looked at the weather the day before we left and adjusted shirts at the very end.

Keep in mind that we are from Minnesota and mid 60's and sunny felt like a beautiful spring day to us :D

I'm going to Alaska in September, do you think it will be chillier? I've tried to search average temps and it could be in the 70s... but also in the 40s. When we are cruising the glaciers, how cold will it actually be on the ship?

That's right .. it might be sunny and 70 or it might be 40, windy and rainy. That's why people say over and over, wear LAYERS. And the top layer should be a waterproof jacket, esp in Sept when there is a higher risk of stormy weather.

It doesn't need to be a big bulky coat, just waterproof; your warmth will come from the layers beneath your jacket, like a long sleeve T and a pullover/sweater/hoody. Bring a daypack to carry your layers in case the weather changes during the day

For glacier viewing, bring gloves and if your jacket doesn't have a hood, bring a hat or scarf.

I figured I'd bring a lot of sports-casual type clothes, kind of like Atheltica, Lululemon....(I'm also 27). But I figured if we are doing a lot of active trips it might be good to have, plus they tend to be good in all climates. Plus if it is rainy...wet jeans don't sound fun. Also those clothes are really light weight.

And then maybe a nice dress for formal nights.

As far as jackets/coats go...do you think a standard northface jacket would suffice. I typically wear it in the fall/winter when temps are avg 40s. I really don't want to waste precious suitcase space with a heavy jacket.

Do people pack scarves and gloves or am I over reacting to the potential of "cold" when it will probably be 50s-60s?

It might have been 50-55° right next to the glacier - but when the sun was out - it didn't feel that cold. If you watch from the front of the ship or anywhere out in the open you will be getting some breeze and it will feel colder. We watched from our aft balcony and while the sun was out we were actually WARM - I had on a short sleeved shirt and bare feet :D

I would say NO to a heavy jacket - you will be much better off layering a waterproof jacket over fleece if necessary. We had very light knit gloves that we used for a whale watching tour (on the water, on a colder cloudy day) and a glacier hike. We had ear muffs, but never used them.

50-60 in Alaska feels the same as 50-60 anywhere. The key is the sun and wind - that will change how the air temperature "feels". Almost every day we had on short sleeved shirts under our waterproof jackets, then threw the jackets in our backpacks if it got warm. The only time we needed all the layers was for whale watching - in a small boat, moving on the water, standing and watching for long periods. It was also the coldest day we had - long sleeves, fleece, waterproof jackets and gloves.

I just came back from our Cruise tour-

Take 1/2 amount of clothes and Twice the amount of Money that you originally planned.

I brought a couple of different hoodies- not necessary. You need one insulated hooded/waterproof jacket and either a short or long sleeve shirt underneath.

Jeans for land tours and excursions. We wore Columbia Waterproof hiking boots everywhere. They were good in snow and rain. 2 dressy pants and different dressy tops for dinner. Or a lightweight dress. Didn't wear sneakers, because we went on boat rides, snow/glacier tours and it rained a little on some days. So waterproof was the way to go.

Have fun.

Thank you ladies, for all of your great tips. I plan on using every one of them! I have only one remaining issue that has to do with hiking boots. I do not own any and usually wear Birkinstocks for everything. I did purchase a pair of Columbia sneakers for this trip , but now am concerned that they may not suffice for a whale watch boat trip and a visit to Mendenhall glacier. I own a pair of winter boots , but did not want the extra bulk in my suitcase. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by shiner6

Thank you ladies, for all of your great tips. I plan on using every one of them! I have only nor remaking issue that has to do with hiking boots. I do not own any and usually wear Birkinstocks for everything. I did purchase a pair of Columbia sneakers for this trip , but now am concerned that they may not suffice for a whale watch boat trip and a visit to Mendenhall glacier. Oi also own a pair of winter boots , but did not want the extra bulk in my suitcase. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We climbed ON Mendenhall glacier and were required to have hiking boots, but I don't think you would really need them for most visits. My husband and I wore our hiking boots on our whale watching trip, but my kids did not. They did not have cold feet - only their hands got cold. Maybe a waterproofing spray and warm socks would be enough.

Totally subbing, because I am at a loss on what to pack. I have broken in trail runners so with waterproofing I'm thinking they'll be the shoes for both land and sea.

I know jeans and tees will get me through with layers. The only thing I'm back and forth on is building outfits around rain boots or not.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Thank you ladies, for all of your great tips. I plan on using every one of them! I have only one remaining issue that has to do with hiking boots. I do not own any and usually wear Birkinstocks for everything. I did purchase a pair of Columbia sneakers for this trip , but now am concerned that they may not suffice for a whale watch boat trip and a visit to Mendenhall glacier. I own a pair of winter boots , but did not want the extra bulk in my suitcase. Any advice?

Sneakers are fine. Spray them with a little waterproofing spray if you are concerned, but I never bother. Unless you are doing serious hiking, you don't need anything more than that for whale watching and Mendenhall. You definitely don't need winter boots!

Shiner6, you can search my previous threads. I have been in a quandary over this very thing. I bought Totes rubber overshoes that work for several folks, not for me. I insisted that I would be fine and was not taking my winter boots.

DH was so concerned about my shoes that I did break down and buy water RESISTANT shoes, cost too much, but it is what it is.

I,tried several recommended brands and,my feet felt terrible. I settled for Ariat's for a descent price. Still more $ than I wanted but kept peace in the family. LOL mother have been sprayed with boot dry. I found these at a boot store.