Tram 2/3 in Helsinki - better than a HOHO?

Hello,

Husband and I are currently debating on whether or not to do a hoho tour of Helsinki or make our own using directions from Rick Steves for the 2/3 tram tour. I was wondering if anyone had done the 2/3 tram tour and could attest to how easy it is and how much time it actually takes. Basically is it worth it just to pay more for the convenience of the Ho Ho bus or not? TIA

Hello,

Husband and I are currently debating on whether or not to do a hoho tour of Helsinki or make our own using directions from Rick Steves for the 2/3 tram tour. I was wondering if anyone had done the 2/3 tram tour and could attest to how easy it is and how much time it actually takes. Basically is it worth it just to pay more for the convenience of the Ho Ho bus or not? TIA

As a local I am not able to reliably tell how easy it seems for a visitor, but I will comment on other aspects.

The route of the 2/3 is very different from the HOHO. The tram route is longer and takes you to parts of Helsinki the HOHO does not go to so you will be seeing more of "regular city" instead of just the typical tourist attractions. To compare here are

HSL's 2/3 brochure with map: https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/helsinki_sightseeing.pdf

One of the HOHO routes: http://www.redbuses.com/img/helsinki-map.jpg

The whole figure-8 onboard 2/3 would take just under one hour. The HOHO route is somewhat shorter. Trams run about every 10 minutes which is more frequent than the HOHOs that may have even 30 or 45 minute intervals. The cost of the day ticket for public transport is 8 euros and HOHOs are 25 euros.

The 2/3 runs by only the EPL berth whereas the HOHOs visit pretty much every port with a ship in port. However you can get to the 2/3 relatively easily from all berths by other public transport. Tram #9 from LMA berth, bus #14 from LHB and LHC, and tram #4/4T from Katajanokka berths. The longest walk required is from LMA to tram #9 which is nearly 600 meters.

We received brochures with the tram routing from Helsinki's tourist bureau prior to our arrival. It was a walk from where the ships shuttle dropped us to catch the tram near the Market Square, but once aboard it was a great way to visit the sights we wanted, especially the Rock Church. We also enjoyed traveling with Finnish folk, who were very warm, extremely helpful and very welcoming to us tram riders from abroad!

When we visited Helsink we took the public bus from the port to market square and just crossed the road to the tram stop. The bus ticket also covered the tram and the ferry to the Suomenlinna Island fortress.If you are going to visit the fortress, note there are several independent ferry companies that also go to the island but these are not covered by the ticket.The trams run regular and we had no problem getting on one.Some of the HOHO buses looked very busy.

Please also note that if you are coming to Helsinki before June 16th, the 2/3 route is currently diverted because of road work. The southeastern section of the route is currently replaced by bus 3X as 2 terminates at Market Square and 3 in Eira. Map of the current diversion can be found here: https://www.hsl.fi/liikennetiedotteet/2014/raitiolinjat-1-2-ja-3-poikkeusreiteilla-55-156-4703 The diversion is in effect until June 15th.

We received brochures with the tram routing from Helsinki's tourist bureau prior to our arrival. It was a walk from where the ships shuttle dropped us to catch the tram near the Market Square, but once aboard it was a great way to visit the sights we wanted, especially the Rock Church. We also enjoyed traveling with Finnish folk, who were very warm, extremely helpful and very welcoming to us tram riders from abroad!

Hi - Thanks for your information. Can you let me know who you emailed to get the brochures? I have been on the Helsinki tourism website but didn't see a direct way to contact to ask for brochures.

Thanks!

It is available on line somewhere but please note that most of them are outdated as tram routes were renumbered/modified not many months ago.

At the transport desk at airport I saw 2/3 brochure and I am sure any tourist info office will have it but don't think you need that brochure upfront (especially given info above)

If money is not an issue or you have mobility issue or you are timid about public transport then HOHO might be of help otherwise for most people Helsinki's trams are extremely easy to use and very helpful

Sibelius monument (spelling?) involves taking a bus or 3 block walk from tram (on the other hand I regretted wasting my precious time going to it - would rather have gone atop atljee bar)

For all other places, tram 2 or 4 were ideal.

Would strongly recommend going to island fortress though. And your tram day pass will cover the boat ride

Edited by hal2008

Hi - Thanks for your information. Can you let me know who you emailed to get the brochures? I have been on the Helsinki tourism website but didn't see a direct way to contact to ask for brochures.

Thanks!

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/come/tourist-information/brochures

We were there 4 years ago, so I don't recall the details of how I got the tram map, but there may have been a comment box in the brochure request form and I'd have asked about it there.

Tram maps can be printed out as well- here is a link to the Tram company:

http://www.hel.fi/hki/hkl/en/HKL+Tram

Enjoy your day in Helsinki!