Registering items with Customs before leaving home

Several decades ago when we began to travel internationally, the recommended practice was to register expensive personal possessions (cameras, jewelry, watches) with a U.S. customs office before leaving home. There was a form for this that had to be submitted with proof of purchase or some other way of documenting that the item was in your possession before leaving home.

I don't hear of this any more. Is this still a recommended practice? When we disembark from a cruise now, I myself wondering whether this will be the trip where we get held up trying to prove that my wife's rings or my watch or nice camera weren't purchased during the cruise - especially now that "real" cameras like DSLR's stand out because so many use their phones instead. (None of the items we travel with now go back to the time when we registered things.)

I haven't done that on about 10 years, but the most expensive thing I take on a cruise is my $300 netbook computer, and I can easily demonstrate that's not a new purchase. :)

Edited by jtl513

Several decades ago when we began to travel internationally, the recommended practice was to register expensive personal possessions (cameras, jewelry, watches) with a U.S. customs office before leaving home. There was a form for this that had to be submitted with proof of purchase or some other way of documenting that the item was in your possession before leaving home.

I don't hear of this any more. Is this still a recommended practice? When we disembark from a cruise now, I myself wondering whether this will be the trip where we get held up trying to prove that my wife's rings or my watch or nice camera weren't purchased during the cruise - especially now that "real" cameras like DSLR's stand out because so many use their phones instead. (None of the items we travel with now go back to the time when we registered things.)

Computers/laptops have files with dates showing purchase before the cruise. I carry my camera invoices/sales receipts with me since my cameras and lenses are the only expensive things that I carry with me.

We used to get customs pre clearance forms too. Sometime in the late 1990s, a Customs Agent told us we were wasting our time. I'm not going if that's technically correct, but we just carry our insurance papers now.

Scan your proof of ownership documents for any items for which you are concerned and bring the files in a computer, smartphone or a pocket flash drive.

Scott & Karen

Scan your proof of ownership documents for any items for which you are concerned and bring the files in a computer, smartphone or a pocket flash drive.

Scott & Karen

Scanning then sending yourself an email with the proof of purchase is almost assuredly enough. Less people are buying electronics overseas I think, since there are better, safer options at home. I also send myself a scan of my credit cards and passport and copies of my scripts in case I need to show the meds are prescribed to me. No custom officer has shown the slightest curiosity about anything I am carrying, but I am honest on my forms, too.

We live in a border city so we just go to Canadian customs and add any new items to the card that we carry with us when we cross into the states. My one good piece of jewellry that came from Egypt that i always cruise with, i take the original documentation with me. If we didnt have such easy access to Canadian customs, we would take original invoices as others have noted above.