C & A for grandchild

I agree also. I am surprised that the poster admitted that she did this. Obviously, she sees nothing wrong in it or just doesn't care about right and wrong??? :eek:

Actually it is neither. He was originally listed at a different address and two years ago we had to change his address. I explained it when I was booking the cruise and they (RCI) told me not to worry about it because we both had the same status. We are Emerald so there are no D or D+ perks for any of us anyway.

I should have been clearer in my original post that his address has not always been linked to mine.

Edited by Wilda

Actually it is neither. He was originally listed at a different address and two years ago we had to change his address. I explained it when I was booking the cruise and they (RCI) told me not to worry about it because we both had the same status. We are Emerald so there are no D or D+ perks for any of us anyway.

I should have been clearer in my original post that his address has not always been linked to mine.

I've noticed that a lot of panties get twisted up when this subject comes up.

People on this board seem to think there is no flexibility in C&A membership rules, and jealously guard the "gates" of membership.

In truth, there are many legitimate living and family situations that include a grandfathered or inclusive membership. My sons were enrolled when Crown and Anchor first started. They have different addresses now, but when the program changed in 2011 they were grandfathered again to my status, even though they were over 18.

My DIL was grandfathered in because she lived at the same address as my son when she enrolled before they were married.

My 90 year-old MIL was grandfathered because of the same last name, when I clicked on "link other family members".

I just cannot imagine why, with over 10 MILLION C&A members, people get so upset over a one-off membership situation like yours. For pity's sake, RCCL probably welcomes the future business of your grandchild!!

Edited by pcur

People on this board seem to think there is no flexibility in C&A membership rules, and jealously guard the "gates" of membership.

In truth, there are many legitimate living and family situations that include a grandfathered or inclusive membership. My sons were enrolled when Crown and Anchor first started. They have different addresses now, but when the program changed in 2011 they were grandfathered again to my status, even though they were over 18.

My DIL was grandfathered in because she lived at the same address as my son when she enrolled before they were married.

My 90 year-old MIL was grandfathered because of the same last name, when I clicked on "link other family members".

I just cannot imagine why, with over 10 MILLION C&A members, people get so upset over a one-off membership situation like yours. For pity's sake, RCCL probably welcomes the future business of your grandchild!!

Thanks. We tip, don't chair hog, don't smoke, don't go to the MDR on formal night, don't cut the line in the buffet, wash our hands, and allow people to get off the elevator before we step on. And we certainly aren't try to pull one over on RCI by stealing or cheating the C&A program. We are emerald now, he's platinum so we certainly aren't taking up space in the D lounge. I had forgotten how ugly these boards can be.

Sorry OP, I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

Edited by Wilda

Thanks. We tip, don't chair hog, don't smoke, don't go to the MDR on formal night, don't cut the line in the buffet, wash our hands, and allow people to get off the elevator before we step on. And we certainly aren't try to pull one over on RCI by stealing or cheating the C&A program. We are emerald now, he's platinum so we certainly aren't taking up space in the D lounge. I had forgotten how ugly these boards can be.

It is truly ridiculous. It's like folks sit around waiting for a quote to "pounce" on. How about tackling hunger, poverty, homelessness or something of actual importance with that kind of passion? Geeez!:rolleyes:

I for one, think it's silly that a child traveling with an adult does not automatically (for that cruise) get to share the privileges of the adult they are traveling with. That adult earned the right to indulge in the perks of past cruises. Whether the child lives in the household or not, he/she did not "earn" anything either way. So, whats the issue? From a marketing perspective, the rules just seems to deter elite status adults from bringing children, which is an unnecessary loss of potential earnings for the cruise line. They have to know that Grandparents would most likely be traveling with children more often than parents with less time on their hands.

Pounce away :cool:

NP, I've been on these boards for years and I know how things "blow up" sometimes.

Yes, the current C &A rules do allow all you mentioned above, however where "people get their panties in a twist" is that due to this the lounges are over burdened and those of us who are earning our status one cruise at a time (personally in my case along with my kids since they sail with us) may never be able to take advantage of those benefits since they keep raising the bar. Instead family members who are associated with a C&A member who has diamond or above get those benefits merely by association not their personal association with a line.

You are not the one I am necessarily upset with as you are playing by the rules, it is Royal since that makes the rules. Eventually we will see them all changed but my guess is it will take a while. One more cruise and my family and I will make diamond all on our own. Hopefully the change will not happen before then :rolleyes:

So just remember us who did not have someone's coattails to ride up the status ladder when talking about status.

Does anyone have a link/list of kids benefits for C&A? My brother is D+ but I honestly don't know if his kids are registered or not.

I can't remember all of them - but they were nearly useless for our teens. 25% off a specialty coffee (that is the one we used),free minutes of internet time - but only in the teen lounge - so also nearly useless, something with pets at sea (the stuffed animals), $5 off if you bought $25 for the arcade games, more off if you bought more for the arcade....

Yep. In the DL on the first night I said to my husband, "There are your youngest Diamond members on the ship.". They were, maybe, 5 and 7. :o

We are just back from a week on Splendour and called the DL to ask if our son (5) was allowed in during the evening as the stateroom letter is now worded differently - just says 'must always be accompanied by an over 21'. Different from letter we had back in January. He was the only child we saw in there all week.

Apparently it is a fleet wide change according to the concierge.

Diamond sea pass loaded benefits for kids are poor in my experience too, we have never used them.

I for one, think it's silly that a child traveling with an adult does not automatically (for that cruise) get to share the privileges of the adult they are traveling with. That adult earned the right to indulge in the perks of past cruises. Whether the child lives in the household or not, he/she did not "earn" anything either way. So, whats the issue? From a marketing perspective, the rules just seems to deter elite status adults from bringing children, which is an unnecessary loss of potential earnings for the cruise line.

Minor children do get to share the privileges of the adult they are travelling with.

What makes you think differently?

OK, sorry, Wilda. I guess I was confused by your original post. Happy Cruising to you and your grandchild!:)

Minor children do get to share the privileges of the adult they are travelling with.

What makes you think differently?

I thought they did too Marci. However, based on my understanding of this thread; minor children only share the privileges if they share the same home address. So if a Diamond + grandparent who lives at a separate address takes their grandchild on his/her 1st cruise the child would not be allowed in the Diamond + areas etc... because the child is not at the same level. Please correct me if I am comprehending this incorrectly (I truly HOPE I am).

Edited by Pattilabelle73

Yes, the current C &A rules do allow all you mentioned above, however where "people get their panties in a twist" is that due to this the lounges are over burdened and those of us who are earning our status one cruise at a time (personally in my case along with my kids since they sail with us) may never be able to take advantage of those benefits since they keep raising the bar. Instead family members who are associated with a C&A member who has diamond or above get those benefits merely by association not their personal association with a line.

You are not the one I am necessarily upset with as you are playing by the rules, it is Royal since that makes the rules. Eventually we will see them all changed but my guess is it will take a while. One more cruise and my family and I will make diamond all on our own. Hopefully the change will not happen before then :rolleyes:

So just remember us who did not have someone's coattails to ride up the status ladder when talking about status.

I hear you. It took my husband and I 35 years to reach D and D+ status. From all the panty-twisting discussions in January/February of this year, RCCL has pretty much gone on record that they aren't planning any more changes to their C&A program in the forseeable future. Enjoy your D bennies!!

I thought they did too Marci. However, based on my understanding of this thread; minor children only share the privileges if they share the same home address. So if a Diamond + grandparent who lives at a separate address takes their grandchild on his/her 1st cruise the child would not be allowed in the Diamond + areas etc... because the child is not at the same level. Please correct me if I am comprehending this incorrectly (I truly HOPE I am).

I think the thing that makes people upset (in this thread and in general) is that minors would carry forward a status that they should not get based on home address/guardian rules. Not that they are sharing privileges with their traveling companions.

If you are grandparents traveling with minors, I cannot imagine they would not let them share privileges. I have spoken about this to RC management in the past and their position is that they 'don't break up families' regarding privileges. Same thing if the parents are in a suite and minor children are in a non-suite room. Still share privileges. Different story if the grandparents/parents/guardians are traveling with adults. Adults would not share privileges unless they are entitled to them.

Edited by marci22