Should the ship help?

I took an 11-day (5/18-5/29) cruise on ship Noordam of Holland America that was scheduled to stop at Tunis, Tunisia, the only port I hadn’t been.

It was at sea on 5/20. I left my iPhone on the hand dryer in the handicapped bathroom outside the ship gym. 40 minutes later, it was gone. Yes, my own FAULT for being forgetful!!!

My daughter (a first-year college student) was going to travel alone in China, learning the language. I have all the apps and info on the phone to stay in touch with her (I speak Chinese), and to make sure she is safe in the country.

The ship staff, other than searching my stateroom, told me to wait until it was turned in. At my repeated requests, the cruise director mentioned once on his daily TV chat—“if you lose something, go to the front desk. If you find something, return to the front desk.” Most people, including myself, didn’t hear this.

With extreme worry and stress, I developed an acute infection, and begged for some sort of public message-a desperate plea (a half-page flyer) at my own expense and work for the return of the phone. Whoever got it may not know how much the phone meant to me; and the phone maybe totally useless for him/her. I felt the need to let the person know. It might just be a kid who picked the phone up.

But the hotel director criticized me for being accusatory when I said the ship could do more to help. And the security head told me that “your daughter will be ok”.

I requested to see the captain Bart Vaartjes. The reply was “the captain doesn’t have time to see you, and NEVER will have time to see you!” “Feel free to write to Holland America Company and report this!”

I understand that a cruise ship could not make an announcement for everyone who loses something. But shouldn’t an exception be made when a smart phone, with so much info on it, was missing at a public area? No security camera was available.

My daughter is still struggling in China as I am writing this.

The phone is on airplane mode.

And then Captain Bart Vaartjes announced the cancellation to Tunis only the night before the ship was supposed to visit there.

On our last cruise my Wife left a pair of prescription glasses in the case in the show lounge we never got them back. I was surprised at how few items they had in the lost and found at the front desk.It did not appear that many people turned stuff in.

I took an 11-day (5/18-5/29) cruise on ship Noordam of Holland America that was scheduled to stop at Tunis, Tunisia, the only port I hadn’t been.

It was at sea on 5/20. I left my iPhone on the hand dryer in the handicapped bathroom outside the ship gym. 40 minutes later, it was gone. Yes, my own FAULT for being forgetful!!!

My daughter (a first-year college student) was going to travel alone in China, learning the language. I have all the apps and info on the phone to stay in touch with her (I speak Chinese), and to make sure she is safe in the country.

The ship staff, other than searching my stateroom, told me to wait until it was turned in. At my repeated requests, the cruise director mentioned once on his daily TV chat—“if you lose something, go to the front desk. If you find something, return to the front desk.” Most people, including myself, didn’t hear this.

With extreme worry and stress, I developed an acute infection, and begged for some sort of public message-a desperate plea (a half-page flyer) at my own expense and work for the return of the phone. Whoever got it may not know how much the phone meant to me; and the phone maybe totally useless for him/her. I felt the need to let the person know. It might just be a kid who picked the phone up.

But the hotel director criticized me for being accusatory when I said the ship could do more to help. And the security head told me that “your daughter will be ok”.

I requested to see the captain Bart Vaartjes. The reply was “the captain doesn’t have time to see you, and NEVER will have time to see you!” “Feel free to write to Holland America Company and report this!”

I understand that a cruise ship could not make an announcement for everyone who loses something. But shouldn’t an exception be made when a smart phone, with so much info on it, was missing at a public area? No security camera was available.

My daughter is still struggling in China as I am writing this.

The phone is on airplane mode.

And then Captain Bart Vaartjes announced the cancellation to Tunis only the night before the ship was supposed to visit there.

Port stops are cancelled from time to time for various reasons ranging from weather to security. Frequent cruisers learn to roll with the punches. The ship will refund your port charges and may offer a glass of champagne at dinner.

It is unfortunate that you lost your phone but short of searching every cabin from top to bottom what could have been done? If cabins were searched every time something was lost there would be a lot of very unhappy passengers who would not want to sail the cruise line again. They did make an announcement re lost and found items which is about all they could do.

The captain of a ship does not get involved with lost and found matters. That is not his function. He is responsible for the safety and security of the ship, not passenger issues.

I know it was a traumatic issue for you but I really don't see what could have been done to recover an item that was not turned in to the front desk. If the person didn't turn it in immediately then a request to do so would not change their mind.

It is unfortunate that you lost your phone. However, it was due to your own negligence and was not the ships's fault in any way. There are several thousand people on the ship and not all are honest. I doubt the ship putting out a notice would affect the person who is dishonest, and an honest person would already have turned in your phone. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. Go buy a new phone and re-download the apps.

I really do not understand your issue. I think the cruise line staff were fair.

I cannot imagine why you would think that the Captain would want to bother meeting you about a lost phone, camera, etc. You, or any other passenger with the same issue. He/she has staff to deal with these challenges. You are not the only passenger on the ship.

Clearly it is gone. If someone was going to turn it in they would have taken it to the front desk. They did not and I doubt that a flyer would change anyone's mind. Time to move forward. Next time back up your data/favourite websites/apps.

I have no doubt that your daughter will be just fine...with or without the apps.

Port stops get cancelled sometimes. This is how it is when you are on a cruise ship. Would you rather dock in a dangerous situation or unsafe seas?

Edited by iancal

Cruiseforfunfun....Have you found your phone? My SIL was able to track his daughter's phone when it was stolen at school. He not only knew exactly where it was but could also see the student that had it and everything he was doing with it. At one point the thief turned the GPS tracking off but SIL was able to turn it on remotely. Maybe there is somebody at home that could contact your carrier for advice. I would also check to see if any calls have been made...they could be costly if made from sea, however it would also give you a record of the person's contacts.

Edited by kdg51

I have the Find my IPhone app and the Find my iPad app installed. I can go to any computer and sign into my cloud account and see where my devices are. I can also wipe them clean remotely if necessary.

This would be of little use on a ship as it was already known the phone was on the ship.

Also, after 10 attempts to guess the phone's password, the phone will wipe itself clean.

I wonder if the OP tried to phone or text her iPhone to see if there was any reply.

I think that the ship's staff were fair with you. HAL staff are very reluctant to make personal announcements as it is very disruptive to other passengers. It is unfortunate that the phone did not show up in the lost and found.

Your topic.. "Should the ship help?" was answered. They did as much as they could or would do. There have been many phones (and cameras) lost on cruises, vacations, business trips etc. A ship, resort,hotel etc isn't going to announce that anything is missing. You have to count on some honest person to return the item to the desk. Lots of important and private info is lost/stolen when you lose a phone. Your info isn't any different or more of an "exception". You aren't the only one who this has happened to. Try to get over it. Get a new phone. DO what you need to for your daughter and just accept responsiblity for your mistake.

I've been thru losing my camera full of pictures of my mom and dad before they died. I feel sad everytime I think of it. But I learned an important lesson. And also got over the anger of my carelessness.

Missing the port you most wanted to see happens often too.

We can understand your disappointment. But in the big scheme of life....isn't this the small stuff?

Sorry to see that your first post on cruise critic was about a disappointing loss. Hope you could enjoy the cruise.

Edited by eandj

May I make a suggestion? Sometimes things turn up. once you are off the ship, the ship no longer is in control. Everything is turned over to the Lost and Found in Seattle.

I would email Seattle for their lost and found department in the hopes that someone got honest (I mean passengers not a crew member) or it is found.

We lost something once (dropped while packing and hidden by the bedspread) and although the value wasn't high the sentimental value was.

I contacted Seattle and they told me no they didn't have it. Then, one week later I got a call asking me some questions and they had it. They shipped it back free of charge.

So, you still might get it.

btw - I left a pair of prescription glasses in the show lounge and they were never to be seen again. What was nice was that HAL reminded me I needed to do a form for insurance before I got off the ship and had it done for me mostly.

DH left his sunglasses somewhere (prescription as well) and they were at the lost and found the next day.

I honestly think that the crew did what they could and I honestly think it was kind of them to announce the missing items for you. It is definitely not the captain's job to attend to this.

I am in agreement with the others who say that the ship realistically did all it could do. Thousands of passengers sail daily -- things are lost, and many have sentimental or practical value. The ship cannot possibly send out "all calls" or listings for every item.

Phones are replacable. This isn't a life or death situation.

The kindness of strangers is indeed all one can hope for. Hopefully the iphone did not slip off the hand dryer and into the trash can.

The night before flying to Ft. Lauderdale for our last cruise I did last minute shopping at Target and (stupidly) put my iphone down at one of the tables and chairs while rearranging shopping bags. I discovered the phone missing when I got home. I went to lost-and-found at Target and someone had turned it in; boy, was I happy to see my iphone 4S! (And maybe that was the reason nobody bothered to keep it ;) )

If you have an important computer of any sort, you must assume that it could be lost or fail to function at any time. You need a backup plan in place. Can't you keep in touch with your desktop PC at home?

if it is as important as you say, you need to forget about the lost phone and get a new one, download the apps again and go on.

BTW: The iPhone is always going to be a theft target and expensive to replace. You might consider something else as a replacement.

igraf

...My daughter (a first-year college student) was going to travel alone in China, learning the language. I have all the apps and info on the phone to stay in touch with her (I speak Chinese), and to make sure she is safe in the country.....

If I found a phone, or anything else, in the bathroom I would immediately walk it over to Passenger Services. Have to assume if it did not get turned in by now, the person who took it has no intention of doing so, unfortunately. I agree that the captain can not get involved in lost items and ship has done what is reasonable.

Good luck. When I see the amount of folks who just carry around their phones, rather than having them in a pocket or purse, i assume that many get misplaced or lost.

Maybe the ship did do all it could but the apparent rudeness you encountered is unacceptable.

You don't know how rude he might have been to them. I would expect the response was as a result of his not being willing to take the word no when being told what the ship would or would not do.

Being told that the Captain was not available and never would be for that topic was not being rude it was being realistic

If I found a phone, or anything else, in the bathroom I would immediately walk it over to Passenger Services. Have to assume if it did not get turned in by now, the person who took it has no intention of doing so, unfortunately. I agree that the captain can not get involved in lost items and ship has done what is reasonable.

Good luck. When I see the amount of folks who just carry around their phones, rather than having them in a pocket or purse, i assume that many get misplaced or lost.

Yes, I would assume that too. I always wonder why people need to carry their phones in their hand. Maybe someone can tell me why. Mine is rarely on and half the time I have to look for it. I just don't understand the fascination with a cell phone.

You don't know how rude he might have been to them. I would expect the response was as a result of his not being willing to take the word no when being told what the ship would or would not do.

Being told that the Captain was not available and never would be for that topic was not being rude it was being realistic

I can't speculate on who said what to who but only take the OP at his/her word. Perhaps a two minute meting with the Captain or another senior officer would have aborted OP's perception of the crew's lack of sensitivity to her problem.

Yes, I would assume that too. I always wonder why people need to carry their phones in their hand. Maybe someone can tell me why. Mine is rarely on and half the time I have to look for it. I just don't understand the fascination with a cell phone.

You and me both. :rolleyes:

I agree. And why would someone enter the public bathroom to do their business while holding their cell phone?

I suspect that the crew members were not rude. Simply reacting to a very unreasonable request. Really, what is the point of requesting to see the Captain? If I were a staff member I too would be snickering if someone tried to insist on seeing the Captain because they misplaced their phone!

The OP is responsible for loosing the phone, responsible for her own worry, stress, and subsequent infection.

HAL tried to help. The rest she brought on herself. That is where, if there is any blame, it belongs. Not on the HAL staff or even criticizing the HAL staff.

This gets back IMHO to the sense of entitlement that some people seem to have. I am the most important person, I need to be catered to, my priorities should be the priorities of the ship management. We have seen this on cruises from time to time. People need to get over themselves and get a grip on reality.

Edited by iancal