Die Hard Carnival Cruiser, Sell me on the Brilliance of the Seas

No one can convince someone else of anything. A person does something, buys something, choices to act in some way because they believe it is in their best interest to do it -- not because someone else has convinced them to do it.

And why do they believe that it is in their best interest to do it, if someone hasn't made a convincing argument that it is? People are continually being convinced to do things by charismatic leaders, advertisers, lawyers, politicians and parents to name just a few. Look around and you will see that we don't live in a vacuum completely cut off from the influences outside us. But I suppose you are correct to the degree that nothing I write can convince you of the error of your belief.

Convincing or no convincing... I am enjoying this thread. Excited to hear more about the Brilliance. Can you tell me if the Viking Crown Lounge is used much? I have only been on the Majesty (though I have traveled her at least 3 times) and the Viking Crown was never utilized... no music, no bartender, no real activity. It was disappointing because it was such a nice space. How about on the Brilliance?

I've sailed both RC and Carnival, and will be sailing on Brilliance for the first time in January.

First let me say there are many things similar with both lines. There are lots of threads doing comparisons of everything, but for the most part, you will find both cruise products to be similar.

RC ships are just "nicer" in general; better lay out, cleaner. They still have "live" music at sail away on the main pool deck, and all the other fun activities you see on Carnival. Plus, they have a Solarium which is great if you want to get away from all the crazy and just lounge at a pool with a cocktail. I enjoy hanging out at the main pool, but I also really like the Solarium, too, and can't believe how much I missed it when we cruised on Carnival.

If you can get a good deal, you should try RC. If you enjoy Carnival, you'll like RC too.

Convincing or no convincing... I am enjoying this thread. Excited to hear more about the Brilliance. Can you tell me if the Viking Crown Lounge is used much? I have only been on the Majesty (though I have traveled her at least 3 times) and the Viking Crown was never utilized... no music, no bartender, no real activity. It was disappointing because it was such a nice space. How about on the Brilliance?

A part of the Viking Crown lounge has become the Diamond Lounge with a 24/7 coffee machine, morning continental breakfast, and evening cocktails. When there are a large number of Diamond members onboard, the rest of the Viking Crown Lounge is opened up during the cocktail hour with drinks and hors d'ouevres available. Later in the evening the Vortex becomes a disco. On her recent eastbound TA, the Vortex was used as a rehearsal venue for the guest choir during the afternoon. Great views when the ship is coming into or leaving port.

Towel animals and the waiter dance are two of my favorite things on Carnival. Do they have these on RCI as well?

For those of you who have cruised both, how does the food compare? I am not picky, but I'm not adventurous with food either. How formal is the dining rooms? I liked being served, but I am not necessarily fond of dressing up every night. Jeans and a nice shirt are my normal cruise attire.

I sailed Indy on RCI in March and Carnival Conquest in May. RCI did not do towel animals every night. I think maybe 3/6 days. No waiter dancing at all on RCI. Food on RCI was much better in MDR. However Carnival lunches with Guys and Blue Iguana much better than RCI. I have cruised both lines many times. IMO their are many differences, but I love them both.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

And what kind of shows do they have? I've heard that RCI really have it on lock for entertainment and it's some of the best around.

As true as that is, I wouldn't exactly put Brilliance in that category. Brilliance does not have the Broadway contracted productions like on Quantum/Oasis Classes and on Liberty of the Seas. Plus, there is no ice rink, Aqua Theater or Comedy Club, so you miss out on all those shows. The main shows are the typical singers/dancers, comedian, jugglers, etc, you find on all cruise lines.

But what you will see different than Carnival is live pool entertainment. RCI still has live poolside calypso bands. Except in the dance club, you won't see DJs used for entertainment.

Why should anyone have to "Sell you on the Brilliance " ? You either want to go or don't . No one on should make the decision for you.

Agreed - your heading makes it sound like you already feel you won't like it. If you have so many doubts that you have to be convinced - don't go.

Besides all the glass mentioned, it is easy to navigate, one of the favorite places is the Schooner Bar for evening music and Trivia games played there in the mornings. From the promenade Deck you can walk all the way forward to the Helipad. We have found the crew and service on our ROS class sailings, ( Brilliance & ROS) extremely good. Food is subjective so won't comment there but for the most part very good. The centrum in the early evening is a nice place prior to diner with small band or piano. I feel you will enjoy this class of ship. One of the most important things , each cruise ship of any line will have their good & bad points, so we never judge one line from our experience with one ship as they have their own crew.

OK, I have read through this whole thread and no one has mentioned the self-leveling pool tables! As far as I know, no other ship in any fleet has these, only the Radiance class. Even if you are not a pool player it is fun to watch others play, especially if the seas are a little rough.

I have never sailed on Carnival but I have been on all 4 Radiance class ships and the Brilliance was the most recent. Even before the extensive refurb it was in excellent shape. One of my favorite features of this class of ship is the outdoor eating area at the buffet. It's all the way at the back, so you are not by the pool with all the noise and splashing. The other unique feature is the centrum, which is open from deck 4 to deck 12. And if you go in the Loyalty Ambassador's area on deck 12 you can look down through the glass all the way to deck 4. Makes for some interesting photos.

After having recently sailed on a Princess ship with the whole "you can't get there from here (without going up or down a deck first)" layout, I really appreciate Brilliance and her sister ships for the ease of finding everything and getting everywhere.

I have never sailed on Carnival but I have been on all 4 Radiance class ships and the Brilliance was the most recent. Even before the extensive refurb it was in excellent shape. One of my favorite features of this class of ship is the outdoor eating area at the buffet. It's all the way at the back, so you are not by the pool with all the noise and splashing. The other unique feature is the centrum, which is open from deck 4 to deck 12. And if you go in the Loyalty Ambassador's area on deck 12 you can look down through the glass all the way to deck 4. Makes for some interesting photos.

After having recently sailed on a Princess ship with the whole "you can't get there from here (without going up or down a deck first)" layout, I really appreciate Brilliance and her sister ships for the ease of finding everything and getting everywhere.

Since the Brilliance was refurbished last year, the Loyalty Ambassador's office has been relocated to Deck 6 across from the pool tables. I believe that the space on Deck 12 is now used for equipment used for the aerial shows and is no longer accessible to guests.

I agree with you about the frustrating deck plans on Princess ships that involve going up (or down) over and back down)or up to get where you want to on those ships. Brilliance is much easier to navigate.

Why should anyone have to "Sell you on the Brilliance " ? You either want to go or don't . No one on should make the decision for you.

Literal much ? It was a figure of speech. I understood what the OP meant.

No one can convince someone else of anything. A person does something, buys something, choices to act in some way because they believe it is in their best interest to do it -- not because someone else has convinced them to do it.

You have never been influenced by people with first hand knowledge or more experienced than you about something ? You read the reviews on this board and are not influenced by the information ?

Literal much ? It was a figure of speech. I understood what the OP meant.

Same here, this is why I posted my RCI/Carnival questions in the Carnival forum. Some of these comments make you not want to consider RCI if the people are actually like that on the ships.

I cruise Carnival. I like the product and the price point. RCI has a great sale going on right now, and the price is right I am considering jumping ship to try RCI.

Sell me on the ship! What are the pros and cons of this? I understand it's one of the older ships, but even with the discount the megaships are out of my price range.

I like shows, I like activities like audience participation game shows. I can't ice skate, so that's not a selling point, and I'm a bit fluffy for rock climbing.

I actively sail both lines. I have done more Carnival cruises but am booked on two RCCL ships this year due to their more aggressive pricing for 2014. In my opinion, Royal has a slightly better product. My wife and I have always enjoyed what we perceive to be a more elegant ship with Royal. The Radiance Class probably embodies this more than any other class of ship. The details of this class are awesome down to the elevators and outdoor dining on the lido deck. This class does not include ice skating or some of the other amenities but that does not seem to be what you are looking for. They have extremely fun interactive games such as the quest and their pools and hot tubs have always seemed to have better hours than Carnival. I don't think you will want for things to do. I hope this helps and I must admit that I hope you give Royal a try. It's worth it to try it at least once.

I've been on Brilliance 4 times and the most recent trip was the transatlantic 14 night cruise. Back in December 2013 I took a lot of pictures of the ship and to that end I am now going to do several posts with pictures.

DSCN0006_zps662fb532.jpg

This is a Jr Suite

DSCN0013-Copy_zps693e6e47.jpg

this is an owners suite

I've sailed Carnival twice, the last on the Dream. RCCI by a mile. I'm booked on the Serenade [also Radiance class}, and can't wait. This will be my 8th on RCCI, so maybe that will help you decide. The difference in service is immense.