tipping question for first time cruiser on Oasis

I was reading that the tips are added to the final bill but here is my question, my personal preference is tip cash after the meal or tip the room attendant every day in cash. I don't know but I feel more happier tipping in cash and feel I receive better service too. We do not have My Way Dining. Is it ok to tip cash instead of adding it to the final bill? And if it is automically billed than do I not leave a cash tip for MDR,Bars,Room attendants? Example:I would feel awkward not leaving a tip for the room attendant delivering food even though it is auto billed. I really prefer to give cash tips. Any suggestions which way to go?

Thank you

Edited by taramara

Tipping daily is NOT the way to do it on cruises. Tips are handed out on the last evening of the cruise. If you choose not to do the auto-tip, then you will tip those who have served you on the last evening.

Bartenders are tipped automatically when you purchase a drink....15% is added to the bill. That is ample for almost every drink. You may write in more, if you feel it's needed.

Room service is NOT included in the daily tips. If you order something, tip in cash at time of delivery...$1-5 is ample, depending on how much they have to carry to you.

So...go by the suggested tip guidelines if you wish to extend cash tips on the last evening....it works out the same if you do the "auto-tip"...much easier for you, and those who are supposed to get tipped, will get tipped.

Automatic gratuities of $12 per person/per day are automatically added to your sea pass account. I believe it is slightly higher for suite guests.

This covers your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter. Even though you may not eat in the main dining room each evening, the waiters rotate and also work in other locations, so by tipping automatically you are also covering all locations. Drinks have an automatic 15% gratuity added to the tab (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).

You should, however, tip room service delivery people - they are not covered in the automatic gratuity.

It is really much simpler just to leave the automatic tips in place. Even though you may prefer cash, by leaving the automatic tips in place you do not have to carry cash (unless you wish to tip someone extra). The ship is basically a "cash less" society as everything is charged to your sea pass card.

There are numerous threads on tipping - some get quite controversial and heated - you can search them for more information.

Enjoy your cruise!

The automatic tips cover your room attendant, your head waiter, your waiter, and your assistant waiter. Tips are automatically added to your bar service bill. One of the only other times you should tip cash for service is for a room service delivery.

The crew works as a team to provide all the service you require. The consensus seems to be that it is not necessary to constantly hand out cash to get better service.

The ship,is a cashless society. Most cruisers put their cash in the safe and don't carry any money with them around the ship. This makes for a very comfortable relaxed environment. It's different than what you're used to, but it is what it is and my advice would be to do what is recommended - let them charge your account daily for the expected amount. If you feel that folks have given you special service, you can tip extra at the end of the cruise.

I felt the same way, however it's different on a cruise. Add the gratuity and forget it. Every time you buy a drink and sign for it you'll have a chance to add more $ as a tip if you'd like. As for the stateroom attendant, they know your gratuity was already paid.. Leave them something extra at the end if you feel the need. What seems to be more important to them is what you write on the comment card at the end.

Our last cruise I tipped a bartender with cash and it was kind of awkward. It was the first day and I had a couple bucks left over from tipping at the port.. Yea, I'd never do it again.. :D

I was reading that the tips are added to the final bill but here is my question, my personal preference is tip cash after the meal or tip the room attendant every day in cash. I don't know but I feel more happier tipping in cash and feel I receive better service too. We do not have My Way Dining. Is it ok to tip cash instead of adding it to the final bill? And if it is automically billed than do I not leave a cash tip for MDR,Bars,Room attendants? Example:I would feel awkward not leaving a tip for the room attendant delivering food even though it is auto billed. I really prefer to give cash tips. Any suggestions which way to go?

Thank you

If you want to tip in cash do it. auto tips can be removed at guess service,Just tell them not to charge any tips on your sea pass.It's your money spend it as you please.:)

Edited by caribbean sailor

If you want to tip in cash do it. auto tips can be removed at guess service,Just tell them not to charge any tips on your sea pass.It's your money spend it as you please.:)

If you do decide to go this route you might want to carry your toothbrush, soap and shampoo with you whenever you leave your cabin. You also might want to not dine in the MDR.

###