Emerald Princess-port of Houston

Disneycruisers

We are looking into doing the Emerald Princess out of the port of Houston in Jan.2015 this will be our first Princess cruise. What are some of the "must do, do not miss" things on the Emerald Princess? Also how is the night life?

We are in our early 50' s and have done 12 DCL,9 CCL and 2 RCCL so we are not new to cruising.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

I would be more concerned with the port itself. Lots of issues with getting stuck due to fog/wind or having your cruise cut short due to the same during winter months.

I had one cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston that was nothing but problematic and that was enough for me.

we're booked on the Emerald , Jan. 11th out of Houston , not to worried about weather , anything will be better then our New England winters :D , and have an aft cabin with a MASSIVE balcony , don't even care about ports of call as long as someone else is making the bed & cooking supper :D

I also had a wonderful cruise out of Bayport/Houston. I haven't been on the Emerald for about 5 years, but remember it fondly. There is plenty to do on a Princess Cruise, I think you will have a great time!

We did this cruise in February and it was on the Caribbean Princess. From flights to hotel to trainsportation and then the cruise itself everything was great. We had no fog and perfect weather. We love Cozumel and have been there many times. I thought Roatan was nice but we only went to the beach beside where the ship docked. On Belize we went on a Princess tour on an airboat ride in a mangrove swamp and the scenery was beautiful. The onboard entertainment was fine and after a number of Princess cruises I would say it was typical with some production shows, entertainers in the atrium, trivia and movies under the stars. We had an enjoyable week and booked the same cruise on Emerald in February 2015. Of course we are from Massachusetts and any trip where there is no snow and warm weather is great to us.

To answer your original question...

1) international cafe - great snacks

2) theater - if the shows are good, it is wonderful

3) sanctuary - costs $$, but many really like the service & privacy

4) MUTS (movies under the stars) - if you enjoy outdoor movies, huge screen, warm blankets, cookies, popcorn

5) pizza - I don't care for pizza, but many say the Princess pizza is excellent

6) dancing (if you dance - there are several places to dance)

7) the food - buffet with lots of choices or dining rooms (any time or early or late to choose from). As much as you want, practically whenever you want

8) the Piazza - entertainment almost all day long

9) pools - 2 that are mid-deck and one aft and one forward

Princess doesn't have a lot of razzle dazzle, but it is always enjoyable

And don't forget to join your roll call. Also, if you are a veteran, send in a copy of your DD214 and get from $50 to $250 OBC.

Enjoy!!

Edited by JF - retired RRT

We did the recent Emerald Princess transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton. It was our first Princess and first transatlantic cruise and I can honestly say it was the best cruise I have ever been on. The whole atmosphere was wonderful, the cruise director (Kelvin Joy) was such an asset to the cruise, the food was great, movies under the stars was such fun (until it started getting a little too chilly), and met lots of nice people. I would sail on the Emerald Princess again in a New York minute!

We did the recent Emerald Princess transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton. It was our first Princess and first transatlantic cruise and I can honestly say it was the best cruise I have ever been on. The whole atmosphere was wonderful, the cruise director (Kelvin Joy) was such an asset to the cruise, the food was great, movies under the stars was such fun (until it started getting a little too chilly), and met lots of nice people. I would sail on the Emerald Princess again in a New York minute!

drive down to texas and join us for nov 11 & 16 cruises !!

should be fun time !! lots of history & good snorkeling !!!;)

And I had one that was without problems.

I'm very happy for you. I am simply pointing out this port is far from ideal, but for all of the Texas cheerleaders who will only say that things are rosy, I'm pointing out that they can also be far from it more often than not during the month that the OP is traveling.

• 2 weeks later...
we're booked on the Emerald , Jan. 11th out of Houston , not to worried about weather , anything will be better then our New England winters :D , and have an aft cabin with a MASSIVE balcony , don't even care about ports of call as long as someone else is making the bed & cooking supper :D

Looks like we will book her for Jan 18

• 2 months later...

We sailed out of Houston last November and this March without any problems. Houston and Galveston does get fog in the winter but we deal with it. Like all weather, it is a crap shoot.

I do love to listen to the music and dance a little in the evening after dinner and there has always been a choice of bars although I seem to gravitate to first the piano bar and then later to the disco up in the Skywalker lounge. It is very relaxing to sit in the nice easy chairs facing the stern while music is playing watching the wake behind the ship and maybe distant lights.

The Princess pizza offered by the pizzeria near the main pool from 11 to 11 every day is really great and I usually have way more than I should. :D

Sitting outside around the pool or in the hot tub and watching the full length movie on the giant screen (MUTS) with surround sound with a drink in my hand is really nice. They provide the popcorn of course, loungers and blanket/towel as needed.

Vines and the IC (snacks) are located beside the Piazza on deck 5 where something is going on most of the day. The adjacent bar serves the usual drinks plus gourmet coffee (charge). The bar has a really nice table area with large windows so you can sit and watch the sea go by while sipping your drink. It is very relaxing.

The adult only pool on the stern with the HC overlooking it and the forward adult pool just outside the exercise area are really nice.

We love the Emerald Princess and will likely sail the Western Caribbean itinerary again. We sailed on Caribbean Princess twice this year. Houston (and Galveston at the head of the bay) can have issues with fog, causing delays, so tight connections, especially after the cruise, are discouraged.

We love to dance and have plenty of opportunity onboard ship. Shows are also good and entertaining. We love MUTS.

No one has mentioned Café Caribe yet, but it is a great alternate dining area that is included in the price. It is a somewhat upscale buffet, with great table service for extras. (many ship's officers and entertainers eat there).

No one has mentioned Café Caribe yet, but it is a great alternate dining area that is included in the price. It is a somewhat upscale buffet, with great table service for extras. (many ship's officers and entertainers eat there).

The buffet area has two sections, The Horizon Court and Café Caribe.

Both are usually open at breakfast and the Café Caribe area will have a reduced selction of the same items that are in Horizon Court.

Both are usually open at lunch and the Café Caribe area will usually have a different menu than the Horizon Court.

Usually only one of the two areas will be open at dinner.

Passengers can get food from either (or both) areas and can sit in either area.

Looks like we will book her for Jan 18

Great. My DH and I are on that sailing. We went on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston in Dec. 2013. We had fog disrupt both embarkation and debarkation, our weather was not good, but we still had a lovely, relaxing cruise that made us want to do it again.

Edited by DebJ14

Go to the Port of Houston website and look under the tab for cruise information. You'll find a link to reserve your parking space and driving directions once you get to Texas.

Remember - you are going to Bayport cruise terminal which is actually in Pasadena - not Houston or Galveston.

If you want a hotel, look for something in the Kemah area. There aren't many hotels or anything else near the new port, but you might find a hotel that will let you park for the week and shuttle you to the ship. I don't have good information on that, but someone here may be able to help.