Catching flight 2.5hrs after ship docks in Papeete?

VirtualRain

Hey, I know this is tight, but it seems totally doable... Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Pacific Princess gets into Papeete at 6AM on a Wed in January and I'd like to catch the 8:30AM Air France flight to LAX.

It appears the airport is about 10min from the pier which means if were among the first off and take our luggage with us, we should still be in line at the checkin counter about 2hrs prior (which I know can be lengthy).

Anything I should know?

I'm guessing I should arrange for a taxi pickup at 6AM at the pier? Any recommendations?

Hey, I know this is tight, but it seems totally doable... Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Pacific Princess gets into Papeete at 6AM on a Wed in January and I'd like to catch the 8:30AM Air France flight to LAX.

It appears the airport is about 10min from the pier which means if were among the first off and take our luggage with us, we should still be in line at the checkin counter about 2hrs prior (which I know can be lengthy).

Anything I should know?

I'm guessing I should arrange for a taxi pickup at 6AM at the pier? Any recommendations?

Can be a tad of traffic on the road about that time as people are going to work. You should be OK, just know it could take a bit longer than 10 minutes at that time of day. By all means schedule a taxi, remember many others from the ship and/or hotels will be heading to the airport to make that same flight.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

If the ship gets in at 6, isn't there usually time needed for the ship to be cleared before people can disembark? And you will have to go through immigration and customs in Papeete. Maybe you could get some more solid info on the Princess board from people who have been on the cruise.

If the ship gets in at 6, isn't there usually time needed for the ship to be cleared before people can disembark? And you will have to go through immigration and customs in Papeete. Maybe you could get some more solid info on the Princess board from people who have been on the cruise.

Thanks... I couldn't find any reference to delays in getting through any immigration or customs. The only thing that has turned up in my research is long lines at the checkin counters.

I'll see what folks in the Princess forums say, but if anyone here has disembarked and flown on an early flight, I'd love to hear how it went.

Has anyone flown Air France out of Papeete in the morning recently at all? How was the airport checkin, security experience, etc? Can you checkin online the day prior and just drop bags? What's the story?

We flew Air France in early June from PPT. Our flight was scheduled for 7:40 am, but it was on Sunday and we just had to drive over from the IC. Check in went quickly. It was much quicker than ATN by far since ATN had two flights leaving at around the same time. However, the plane arrived late from LAX so we had to sit for quite a bit in the terminal.

With that said... that is a tight time frame and you could miss the check in window. I believe it closes an hour before the flight is scheduled to depart. Definitely check with Princess cruisers who've done that itinerary to see how long it takes to disembark. It may be worth taking an extra couple of days to enjoy Tahiti if you're able to so you're not stressed at the end of your vacation.

Edited to add: You can not check in online or drop off bags early. Security was quick. Your biggest issue will be making the check in time.

Edited by RZ3

The biggest variable you have no control over is the time the ship actually arrives in PPT.

Question: Where does the ship come from prior to PPT? If it's Moorea (many do this) then you will be right on time, maybe even early ..........

Can you book the flight through Princess, including the transfer. This puts the responsibility on Princess to get you there on time.

I am a little puzzled on how all this is going to work. We are on the Pacific Princess in October, which arrives back in Papeete on Saturday, the 18th, at 8 p.m., with "disembarkation" at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 19th. However, the Princess Flight options have consistently stated that your flight must be after 7:10 a.m. on the 19th, and Princess lets you book the early ATN flight (which I think is at 7:50 a.m.), and also permits booking of the AirFrance at 8:05 a.m. I called Princess on this and a very nice gentlemen assured me we would be permitted off in time to make our Air France flight. Of course, not sure how much you can count that telephone conversation, but I have printed various screen shots of the flight information - we'll see!

I would guess that your ship will be cleared shortly after it arrive and then you would be allowed to disembark early. My only concern would be if the immigration and customs people are going to be there before 7am. But if Princess is allowing people to book a 7:50 plane, they must have these things under control.

• 1 month later...

Anything I should know?

Try to arrange for a taxi the night before--we have left at 4:30 am for the airport from the pier. It works--couldn't get any help from staff--promises , promises--you can do it yourself--Don't put your luggage put the night before just keep everything ready to go with you in the morning. They told us they would send someone to help us but--not a happening thing--I'd do it again that way--We weren't the only ones leaving at that time--We had an Air France flight sometime in the morning--can't remember when, but early

Nancy:D:D

Just a note about timing

We had late seating and the ship was docked and one of our table mates left for the airport during dinner the night before--didn't know you could do that

obviously you can.

Nancy:D

We were going to try to book that same flight, when we called princess before booking the flights they said we wouldn't make the flight because sometimes the cruise ship is delayed going through customs and with the heavy traffic of a weekday. So we booked the Friday morning flight and staying two days in Tahiti after the cruise.

Steph

This particular sailing(which includes Nuku Hiva) doesn't arrive in PPT the evening before disembarkation, so I would be hesitant to book such an early flight.

I do wonder though.....Why exactly would a closed-loop cruise (RT) Papeete have to clear customs/immigration at the port if the ship only sails to French Polynesian locales?

Edited by Skai