Another Pricing Game RCI Plays

As it relates to all the pricing antics with the BOGOHO sale being reported on other threads, I just wanted to share another RCI "revenue enhancement" tactic with basic onboard retail.

Just back from Grandeur of the Seas, where I bought a pair of Tara Vanessa earrings from a rack marked "50% Off."

A crudely typed adhesive price tag on the item said $40, so I was charged $20.

The earrings were a gift, so back in my cabin I peeled off the $40 tag and uncovered the original Tara Vanessa tag with a bar code. It said $20.

So RCI marked the earrings up 100% to pretend they were marking them down 50%.

I'm not mad about what I paid, which was fair. I'm steamed about RCI's flagrant dishonesty. At least they could have blacked out the original tag so I couldn't find out I was one of the suckers P.T. Barnum was talking about. :mad:

The earrings were a gift, so back in my cabin I peeled off the $40 tag and uncovered the original Tara Vanessa tag with a bar code. It said $20.

Certainly not defending it, but that is typical with many retailers.

The shops are NOT run by rci, nor does rci price the items, this is where you should direct your problem

http://www.starboardcruise.com/

http://www.starboardcruise.com/customer122011.htm

Well, that's interesting. I didn't realize RCI farms out all the retail. Thanks.

And point well taken on "Beware the layers of stickers." :D

As I stated in my original post, I thought the price I paid was fair, so there is no "problem" to pursue.

My point was that marking something up to feign a mark-down is dishonest. Yes, as someone said, it's a common, widespread practice. But that doesn't make it right. That RCI condones it on their ships does nothing to enhance their integrity, IMO. The "buck" stops with them.

Well, that's interesting. I didn't realize RCI farms out all the retail. Thanks.

In the same manner the on board photographers and picture pricing, as well as spa services, and shore excursions, are not part of RCI either. All these retailers and separate services are 3rd party contractors to RCI and pay either a rent or a royalty (or both) to RCI.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In the same manner the on board photographers and picture pricing, as well as spa services, and shore excursions, are not part of RCI either. All these retailers and separate services are 3rd party contractors to RCI and pay either a rent or a royalty (or both) to RCI.

Also luggage valet and a lot of the deserts were 3rd party also(land made and shipped) but starting last December rci started making their own deserts again, don't know if it is fleet wide yet. An example, the red velvet cake.

I knew the spa and shore excursions were third-party, but I hadn't heard about desserts. Did they have a "sweet" deal with Costco?

I also didn't know the photographers aren't RCI employees.

Outsourcing is tricky. Complaints land on the cruise line's doorstep, not the contractors'. And anybody who doesn't know any better believes the cruise line is at fault (like I initially did).

With enough of that, they'll have someone like CNN doing an "exclusive" on their sleazeball practices. And chances are CNN won't peek behind the curtain to find contractors to blame if there's a chance to smear a cruise line.

This thread has been very enlightening. Thanks for all the scoop. :)

marci22, the last 2 days of the cruise (at sea), there was a feeding frenzy in the shops. Who knew there was such pent-up demand for cheap watches and T-shirts? Those tables were mobbed, while the pricey jewelry and perfumes were sitting there looking pretty forlorn. ;)

While the 'shopping' consultants are from a 3rd party company, RCI is the agent of the shore excursions they sell and then they make use of 3rd party vendors / suppliers. The Shore-Ex department employs RCI staff and management.

The employees in the shops, spa and the photo operation are not RCI or RCCL employed.

RCCL recently dropped the most established spa vendor in the cruise industry, Stiener from their Celebrity brand, while they remain with RCI.

http://www.steinerleisure.com/default.aspx

My MIL worked at a major furniture chain for many years and this was their standard 'sale' procedure. You can never really believe any advertisement based on it's face value, but have to do your homework if you really care to be sure it's a deal.

Certainly not defending it, but that is typical with many retailers.

Sears is famous for this with the pricing of mattresses and appliances. Also, I question Walmarts "roll backs". As a consumer you just have to be skeptical. If you are happy with what you paid - that is the main thing.

Those $10 sales near the end of the cruise are mobbed. I bought a tshirt once and it shrunk up horribly. Wasn't even worth $1.

Every shirt that we got at the $10 sale also shrunk to unusable sizes. If you wear a 'Small' size, buy an 'X-Large'....

Those $10 sales near the end of the cruise are mobbed. I bought a tshirt once and it shrunk up horribly. Wasn't even worth $1.

marci22, the last 2 days of the cruise (at sea), there was a feeding frenzy in the shops. Who knew there was such pent-up demand for cheap watches and T-shirts? Those tables were mobbed, while the pricey jewelry and perfumes were sitting there looking pretty forlorn. ;)

I have to laugh at the people buying the "clearance" deals on board, as if they don't have the exact same clearance week after week, cruise after cruise.

This is thread is enlightening though since I too had no idea that the services were outsourced.