does disney offer no kids cruise?

Royal44

I actually think that they could pull off one or two adult only cruises a year and have them be profitable. If they used one of the classic ships and ran the cruise during an off week just before a repo in the spring they could do a four or five night cruise with a double dip on CC and I think there would be enough interest to make it profitable.

Make it 18 and up and run it after college ends but before most schools get out and you've got a good market share of parents with college age kids who normally don't want to do DCL because their kids have aged out of most activities--but allow the 18-21 year olds to use the teen club and you've got a great solution to retain and attract a segment that you've lost or never had.

I'm surprised that the bean counters and marketing department haven't done any surveys to determine interest. I would think that it would be pretty obvious what the survey was about and we'd be hearing from people if they had.

ducklite; I travel with a Briggs and Riley 20" roller board and Briggs and Riley small computer case for my iPad; that's it. I travel for a living and go on 7-8 day trips all the time. This is all I need. I just packed for 14 day trip; this is the way to go.

ducklite; I travel with a Briggs and Riley 20" roller board and Briggs and Riley small computer case for my iPad; that's it. I travel for a living and go on 7-8 day trips all the time. This is all I need. I just packed for 14 day trip; this is the way to go.

??? Wrong thread?

I actually think that they could pull off one or two adult only cruises a year and have them be profitable. If they used one of the classic ships and ran the cruise during an off week just before a repo in the spring they could do a four or five night cruise with a double dip on CC and I think there would be enough interest to make it profitable.

Make it 18 and up and run it after college ends but before most schools get out and you've got a good market share of parents with college age kids who normally don't want to do DCL because their kids have aged out of most activities--but allow the 18-21 year olds to use the teen club and you've got a great solution to retain and attract a segment that you've lost or never had.

I'm surprised that the bean counters and marketing department haven't done any surveys to determine interest. I would think that it would be pretty obvious what the survey was about and we'd be hearing from people if they had.

They won't do it because people would be screaming their heads off. And then they have to look at whether or not someone (with kids) would sue them for discrimination. Seriously.

When they've done the few cruises that are for TA's or other groups only....or nearly filled the ships with them.....you should see all the complaints they've gotten.

I'd buy a ticket for that cruise in a heartbeat! Our last night on the Fantasy was like "Lord of the Flies" with run-amok teens and tweens...

You know, we had a really good 11 days of our 12 day cruise. There was one group of tweens that I took to calling "The Silvers" based on their lanyards who were a bit loud and obnoxious (no parents ever around) and another group of maybe 10 year olds who were allowed a table to themselves in the dining room and were holy terrors to the crew and other diners, but overall the kids were good. Then came the last night....

What is it with parents on the last night? I get that the cruise is ending, but that doesn't mean to allow your kids to run wild all over the ship! Loud, banging on cabin doors, running everywhere, trashing the beverage station.....we didn't see any luggage vandalism, but we no longer put our luggage out because of past events...Parenting doesn't end because it is the last night.

They won't do it because people would be screaming their heads off. And then they have to look at whether or not someone (with kids) would sue them for discrimination. Seriously.

When they've done the few cruises that are for TA's or other groups only....or nearly filled the ships with them.....you should see all the complaints they've gotten.

Disney has let them scream in the past, and eventually they all settle down. Everything Disney does gets someone up in arms, and they eventually get over it. This would not be a case of discrimination. Disney is well within their rights to limit their cruises to certain ages. Age discrimination only applies to employment and housing, with exceptions to each where safety or deed restrictions apply.

I just checked on future TCM Cruises and read a post (Miami Herald August 2, 2013) indicating that in 2015 there would be a Turner Classic Movies cruise on the Disney Magic December 8-13 from Miami. I am very tempted to try Disney on this cruise. This year there is a TCM cruise October 21-26 on the Disney Magic (too close to an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity for me; I wish I had known about this earlier).

Thanks, this is a really helpful thread. In our Fantasy debriefing, we have determined that the guest/age mix may have impacted our level of magic enjoyment ;). We are big-time Disney philes, but we will definitely consider school schedules before the next booking, I think!

Thanks, this is a really helpful thread. In our Fantasy debriefing, we have determined that the guest/age mix may have impacted our level of magic enjoyment ;). We are big-time Disney philes, but we will definitely consider school schedules before the next booking, I think!

While school schedules may not influence the absolute number of kids on the ships during "typical" cruises, they greatly influence the age mix. During the traditional school year, you will see many more infants, toddlers, and pre-schoolers and relatively fewer older kids. AND most of those parents want early dining, so if you are OK with late seating, that's golden.

Oops. My bad. Sorry.

You didn't do anything bad....weren't you talking about her signature about traveling around Europe with one suitcase for 3 weeks (or whatever it was)?

She just didn't understand what you were referring to.

Just had a discussion about this with someone in the industry, and here's a few reason(s) they are not likely to do it...

1> A large portion of the ship would be effectively wasted (kids clubs, nursery, splash zone, etc). You would still need to keep the staff on contract for those areas since you would need them next cruise. The teen area might be repurposed for 20 somethings.

2> Kids are cheap to feed. Really really cheep compared to adults.

3> With adults only, there are many less 3rd and 4th occupants, which make up a significant part of room booking revenue. Since there are no additional cabins to sell, they can't make that revenue up through more booking, so either prices would have to go higher or make the difference up somewhere else.

That's not to say its impossible, just impractical given the design of Disney ship and their target market. It would work better on a ship like the Pacific Princess.

Just had a discussion about this with someone in the industry, and here's a few reason(s) they are not likely to do it...

1> A large portion of the ship would be effectively wasted (kids clubs, nursery, splash zone, etc). You would still need to keep the staff on contract for those areas since you would need them next cruise. The teen area might be repurposed for 20 somethings.

2> Kids are cheap to feed. Really really cheep compared to adults.

3> With adults only, there are many less 3rd and 4th occupants, which make up a significant part of room booking revenue. Since there are no additional cabins to sell, they can't make that revenue up through more booking, so either prices would have to go higher or make the difference up somewhere else.

That's not to say its impossible, just impractical given the design of Disney ship and their target market. It would work better on a ship like the Pacific Princess.

I disagree. Staff can take on different roles hosting events for the adults--we want to make Flubber, too! Other than the nursery and splash zone, all kids areas could be used for adult activities.

Kids might be cheap to feed, but they don't buy alcohol. An adult only cruise is quite likely to have higher bar tabs.

The third and fourth person revenue isn't that much once you factor in food and services. If they offered an adult only cruise, I think they would have no problem raising the typical fare by $100 per adult to make up the difference. As it is, it seems that 30-40% of the cabins on any given sailing are only occupied by two people anyhow. Think about how many book a separate cabin for the kids.