Egg Crates

eskiemom

I've had a pillow-top mattress on every Princess cruise I've taken for almost three years, and that's quite a few cruises, ships and different categories. Haven't been on the CB but that includes the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal and Sapphire.

If you need an eggcrate, they do have thick foam pads.

We are just off the Island last month -- had a balcony on the Caribe deck and the mattress was hard as a rock. We asked for a mattress topper and it was so much better.

All I know is that when I made my Ruby Princess cruise for December I was able to request the bed pads along with hypoallergenic pillows, and I am not in a suite. However, we are Elite and Platinum but I do not think that has anything to do with it. I am the TA on my own booking but in the booking process whether through Princess directly or through a TA you can pre-order these during the reservation process.

This may have all ready been asked and answered but I am lazy today!

Leaving soon on the CB and asked my cruise planner person about gettingg egg crates on the bed. He responded he tried to set it up but that there are all taken on the ship. In addition he stated that he thought Princess was fading them out. Supposedly he was checking into it and going to get back to me. That was 2 days ago.

So does this sound plausible?? One that they are all taken and two that they are going away..................??

Thanks

CC doesn't like my normally orientated images and inverts them. :eek: :o

JUST A COUPLE OF q's:

Who is this "CC"??

And how does one sleep on an "inverted" bed... would be tired, just from my finger tips holding on all night!:p

OK... who is this "Stewart" you speak of...falling asleep on the job tho'!:eek:;)

Mike

99% of the time they won't be there when you board anyway.

Don't waste your time fretting over it, just ask Stewart when you arrive.

Oh how very true. I can't tell you how many times I have either ordered the egg crate and never received it or the other option is they don't have any left or lastly this ship does not have them. Once on board that will change. Ask and if they do have them your steward will bring it to you.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last month. I asked our steward for a topper the first night and another one the second night. He also brought me another pillow but it was no better than their other "rocks" so I bought my own in port.

If there are no egg crates available ask the attendant for a duvet/comforter as a pad. Those help soften the bed up also.

I've lost patience with the beds on all the cruise lines. I've been short sheeted twice, had a pillow top installed upside down (so I was sleeping directly on the coils) had a bed with 2 queen mattress pads that were bunched up in the middle (I think to hide how saggy the mattress was) and a wad of towels bunched up under the mattress (again, to hide the sag). Lately I've noticed that the beds are "broken". You can feel it if you sit on the side. So unacceptable! The worst was right after a dry dock retrofit and my pillow smelled like a bag of stinky socks. Still makes me shudder. :(

I did find out that there are often more mattresses in storage so if yours is really bad see if you can get a different mattress.

We are returning to Princess in January after a four year absence. I thought I had read somewhere that the older, hard mattresses had been replaced. From the comments on this thread, it doesn't sound as though that is correct? :confused:

We are returning to Princess in January after a four year absence. I thought I had read somewhere that the older, hard mattresses had been replaced. From the comments on this thread, it doesn't sound as though that is correct? :confused:

The last 5 ships I have been on had much better beds. They will never be like a pillow top at home but compared to 5 years ago they are like a pillow top.

After reading as much as I can about the Caribbean Princess, the impression I have is that the mattresses have been changed out in the suites and mini-suites, but not on the balcony or interior rooms. I'll be on the Caribe deck on the CB, and I'm not expecting a good mattress. I asked my Princess Vacation assistant if I could order an egg crate mattress topper, and she said that she had put in the request. Whether it's there or not upon boarding waits to be seen. I appreciate everyone's insights about ordering one or two toppers or a duvet comforter once on board if the bed is too uncomfortable. It really is short sighted that Princess hasn't realized that a good night's sleep is very important to the enjoyment of a cruise, and that the company has not invested more in new mattresses.

We were on the 10/4 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. My husband's mattress was hard as a rock and yet saggy. It took two egg crates (they were egg crates, not foam pads) to make the mattress somewhat comfortable.

My mattress wasn't great, but I could tolerant it.