Hairspray is going to Freedom of the Seas

You can't rebuild a stage, rigging, lighting and set, and train a whole new set of theatrical and sound managers on a turnaround day.

I thought that RCCL had a location where they trained for shows before going on a ship. H

That refers to the singers/dancers/actors. Aquahound wrote about the technical staff and the physical parts of the show.

Anyone know what entertainment is on Serenade in July?

Serenade has the standard cruise ship entertainment: a couple of production shows with the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, then guest entertainers the other nights: singers, comedians (one of whom will do a late-night "adult comedy show" one night), jugglers, magicians......

Anyone know what entertainment is on Serenade in July?

Send an email to [noparse]web_reservations@rccl.com[/noparse] a few weeks before the cruise requesting the entertainment lineup.

We did the Freedom in March and previously had done it two years before that...the shows were pretty much the same...the ice show had been tweeked slightly but the others had changed very little. They are in need of some new shows..

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I am going back again on June 27 - I'll miss you again! :eek: :p ;) :D

Well given your recent track record, who knows - maybe you'll book yet another on board! :D It would be nice to meet you on a cruise one day!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

CATS

The only broadway show i ever fell asleep to. IMO Hairspray is much better

Shelton

My opinion exactly. I'll be quite disappointed if we get Cats when we sail. I'll still go, but afraid I'll likely fall asleep again.

Edited by Gayle V

Well Hairspray sucks and so does Cats. Looks like I wont be going on either ship. To bad to cause I really liked Freedom. Now if they got POTO. I would be all over it!

We clearly have different tastes in theatrical productions, as my opinion of Phantom (which I did not enjoy at all) mirrors your opinion of Hairspray (which I loved). Both shows, however, have their own loyal following and would appeal to large groups of passengers. It is probably fortunate that neither you nor I are responsible for dictating which shows are booked for RCI's ships.:)Life would be pretty bland and boring if we all agreed on everything.

Well Hairspray sucks and so does Cats. Looks like I wont be going on either ship. To bad to cause I really liked Freedom. Now if they got POTO. I would be all over it!

You're not going to go on a ship because of one show on a 7 night cruise? Did I understand you right? :confused: We went on the Independence in February -- only went to 1 show in an 8 night cruise and would go in it again in a heartbeat.

We will be sailing Freedom in June of 2015 with my two granddaughters.

Is Hairspray okay to take the girls to or is it for a little bit more mature audience?

It depends on how old they are. The show is about bigotry, and deals with hatred. Overall, it's a very positive message and a very entertaining show, but it does deal with some heavy, emotional issues from our nation's past (and unfortunately present). It's similar to Showboat in that regard. Along the way, there are a lot of fun, upbeat songs and dance numbers (also similar to Showboat). Very entertaining, and should be fine for most (except bigots).

It's been mentioned here a few times, but I'm curious to know what dry dock has to do with changing shows?

Have you ever seen a touring Broadway production? All the equipment to make the show arrives in 10 semi trucks. All of this equipment, staging, etc must be loaded and setup. This takes time and can't be done without drydock time to allow time for setup and rehearsal.

• 5 months later...