Public Demonstrations in Venice on June 7th & 8th

MSC Cruises USA

Due to a public demonstration in Venice , both on June 7th (MSC Preziosa) and June 8th (MSC Fantasia), please be informed that inconveniences in accessing the port are forecasted.

For this reason, it is recommended that guests arrive in port no later than 11.30 am.

Regards,

I saw that, I would be curious who makes up the protesters.

People who do not want the big ships in Venice. They will meet at 13:00 at Piazzale Roma. Then, they will move to the cruise terminal (Stazione Marittima).

I thought they had got what they wanted and the big ships were being phased out?

No, on 17 March 2014, the Veneto regional court accepted a request to suspend restrictions on large cruise ships passing through the Venetian lagoon.

No, on 17 March 2014, the Veneto regional court accepted a request to suspend restrictions on large cruise ships passing through the Venetian lagoon.

Think some want to cruise ships at all regardless of their size.

When will this lot admit that it is not cruise ships that is the problem? the problem is the number of small boats that drive around at any speed like idiots. The vaparetto`s do not help either.

When will this lot admit that it is not cruise ships that is the problem? the problem is the number of small boats that drive around at any speed like idiots. The vaparetto`s do not help either.

They say that cruise ships are damaging the lagoon.

Cruise ships are taken into and out of Venice usually by Two Tugboats one at the Bow and one at the Aft in order to keep them in the channel, the speed is dictated by the lead Tugboat and not the ship. The ship and Tugs are constantly passed at higher speed by other craft including car ferries.

Pretty easy to imagine that "speed" wouldn't be the only determining factor in the risk for causing damage. Weight (eg; depth) would matter, and to a lesser tourist impact on the island itself. Also a cruise liner tied at port banging against bumpers and pier surfaces is going to do a hella more damage than a speed boat tied to a pole.

Thank you for the heads up. We are in Chicago now on our way to Toronto then Venice for our cruise leaving Sunday the 6th. We will make sure to get there very early!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

MV ...If you have been to Venice you will know that the port is on the other side of the Grand canal and away from the main Tourist areas, any banging you mention is not going to damage Venice itself.

Maybe the protesters should direct their anger at the recent uncovering of corruption regarding the building of the Lagoon sea barriers!

Yes, I've stayed in Venice several times.

You're saying there is no way in heaven or hell cruise ships can do more damage than vaporettos and I'm just saying that nonsense.

But clearly you have a point of view that you've become attached to, so, carry on. :-)

MV ... Like you we have been to Venice many times, while ships may well contribute something to erosion they are not causing it all as being claimed by these people!

If you believe the small water taxi`s and other craft that tear around do not contribute then you need to re asses how you think!

When we departed from Venice, we could see the ship stir up a lot of mud, so I can understand that this is not popular with the locals. I'm just grateful we were able to still experience the spectacular views when sailing out of the lagoon.

we watched several shows on the effects of cruise ships and Venice. we stayed at the Hilton and had a great view of the water traffic. Cruise ships no wake and no noise, The vaprorettos and ferries churned a lot.

we are glad we got to cruise before the controversy, though

When we departed from Venice, we could see the ship stir up a lot of mud, so I can understand that this is not popular with the locals. I'm just grateful we were able to still experience the spectacular views when sailing out of the lagoon.

They say that the major problem is the tides and the pollution caused by the cruise ships. They also ruin the ecosystem.

All my information is in Italian but I've found this site in English:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/cruise-ship-monsters-venice-italy_n_2457462.html

They say that the major problem is the tides and the pollution caused by the cruise ships. They also ruin the ecosystem.

All my information is in Italian but I've found this site in English:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/cruise-ship-monsters-venice-italy_n_2457462.html

From what I could see, the worst offenders were the thrusters. The water around us looked totally brown from all the mud they stirred up.

MV ... Like you we have been to Venice many times, while ships may well contribute something to erosion they are not causing it all as being claimed by these people!

If you believe the small water taxi`s and other craft that tear around do not contribute then you need to re asses how you think!

Oh, that is so hilariously clever. I see what ya did there.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Actually here in Italy it's a big issue, also linked with the MOSE, the dam which was supposed, when finished, to solve the tide problems.. Many ships will move to Trieste.

Honestly I don't know what to think... even more confused after all these celebrities joined the cause...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2701705/Celebrities-including-Michael-Douglas-Cate-Blanchett-call-ban-cruise-ships-Venice.html

It will only be a matter of time before the bars, cafes,restaurants and shop owners begin to complain about a reduction in takings! and only when the erosion continues will they realise that they did it to themselves with their ridiculous speeds in their tiny boats.