Gangway nightmare boarding the Breeze...

scrapperluv

Hi all,

I wanted to find out if this is normal aboard Carnival ships. I've already reported it to Carnival and I hope others have, as well. I'm booking another cruise (our 2nd!) and I'm a little concerned...

We were on the Breeze that sailed out of Miami on June 18th this year. The lido deck was PACKED with a large group (about 40-50 people) who were obviously traveling together. They took over the dance area and were loud and obnoxious. I'm not a super judgemental person, but I have to say I found it intimidating and avoided taking my 5 year old girl out there to dance. The men were about in their 20's with (no joke) prison looking tattoos and both the men and women were very pushy and intimidating (pushed in on the elevators, hogged the loungers, etc).

Anyway, my husband, 2 little ones and I got in line for the tender to board at Cayman Island about 45 minutes before the ship was leaving. Of course, the sky opened and there was a huge downpour. The line started at the top of the gangway, crossed an open area then wrapped in a spiral under a huge canopy. It was seriously pouring but there was nothing we could do but stand in it once the line moved forward and there was no more canopy. That's just life and at least it was warm rain!

About 15 minutes before departure, the unsavory group started arriving at the port in taxis. One group after the other, they jumped into the front of the spiraling line under the canopy. I think the 1 security guard there might have said something (or they were tired of waiting) because one group after the next got out of that line and RAN up the gangway all the way to the front and got directly on to the tenders! Every time their taxis pulled up another group of them ran right up, pushed by all the passengers lined up on the gangway, and went directly to the tenders. Most passengers just let them through (we did!) but some people were very angry and shouting. They just kept running and paid no attention. The only 1 security guard I could see was back in the spiraling line trying to make sure it kept in order. We were just waiting for a fight to break out but thank God it didn't!

It was our first cruise and I was so impressed by the Breeze. Other than that one group of passengers I couldn't find a fault with the whole trip. I'm just wondering, are the lines for the tenders usually this bad? I understand that there are going to be times when these things happen (large, rude groups) but is it typical? Was there something about this cruise that attracted rowdy people? Any tips to avoid this again would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sorry that you had to encounter such a rude group of people, especially on your first cruise. I love cruising and want to see others have the enjoyment that I do. I can say from my experience, no this not typical behavior on Carnival or any other line and also say that unfortunately, you will encounter some rude individuals on cruise. On my last cruise, first Celebrity - Great Cruise, there was a couple with a dog and the dog relieved itself on several occasions and the owners could care less. You always have rude people but hopefully, you will rarely encounter them. In 15 cruises, I have never seen such behavior. I hope that you will give cruising and Carnival another try.

I think the ones that have a problem with the younger crowd should watch the dates that they wan't to book. Never around spring break or around graduation. The kids or young adults have been in school for 12 or 16 years and they are ready to unwind before becoming full blown adults with all the things that come with growing up.

Were these all Americans? Because in Europe, at least in countries like Italy, there is not a respect for lines. It's whoever can push their way to the front that gets served.

Edited by bunchesofun
spelling error

The lines are usually long since most people come back around the same time to return back to the ship and it creates a logjam. The day we were in Grand Cayman, there were a total of 5 ships parked in the ocean, however all lines were orderly, no cutting or running, just waiting for a long time.

It was just an isolated incident, there is nothing that you or anyone else can do. I doubt if Carnival even has security there. All cruise lines pay good money to the tender company, so I'm assuming it would be their and the port authority's job to maintain a secure environment.

Civic courtesy and manners are an honor system. There is no one to police them. It is up to the individual to honor them. Unfortunately for you and your family, you got caught in the middle of an unruly crowd.

There is nothing that can be done about it. All we can do is shake our heads and move on.

Hope the rest of your cruise wasn't spoiled by them.

Well said.

I'm sure that having tattoos had nothing to do with these people who were inconsiderate. BTW: I don't have any tattoos. Unfortunately, there are rude people in this world and I found it best to just roll with the flow. There is nothing that really can be done, but in the whole scheme of things, I still enjoy myself while on vacation and just ignore these people and their antics. If I let their behavior bother me, then they win.

For sure a random occurrence. People misbehave, steer clear and hope security handles it, but do realize if they aren't too far "gone" it's not worth a confrontation in the middle of the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk