Gangway nightmare boarding the Breeze...

scrapperluv

Hi all,

I wanted to find out if this is normal aboard Carnival ships. I've already reported it to Carnival and I hope others have, as well. I'm booking another cruise (our 2nd!) and I'm a little concerned...

We were on the Breeze that sailed out of Miami on June 18th this year. The lido deck was PACKED with a large group (about 40-50 people) who were obviously traveling together. They took over the dance area and were loud and obnoxious. I'm not a super judgemental person, but I have to say I found it intimidating and avoided taking my 5 year old girl out there to dance. The men were about in their 20's with (no joke) prison looking tattoos and both the men and women were very pushy and intimidating (pushed in on the elevators, hogged the loungers, etc).

Anyway, my husband, 2 little ones and I got in line for the tender to board at Cayman Island about 45 minutes before the ship was leaving. Of course, the sky opened and there was a huge downpour. The line started at the top of the gangway, crossed an open area then wrapped in a spiral under a huge canopy. It was seriously pouring but there was nothing we could do but stand in it once the line moved forward and there was no more canopy. That's just life and at least it was warm rain!

About 15 minutes before departure, the unsavory group started arriving at the port in taxis. One group after the other, they jumped into the front of the spiraling line under the canopy. I think the 1 security guard there might have said something (or they were tired of waiting) because one group after the next got out of that line and RAN up the gangway all the way to the front and got directly on to the tenders! Every time their taxis pulled up another group of them ran right up, pushed by all the passengers lined up on the gangway, and went directly to the tenders. Most passengers just let them through (we did!) but some people were very angry and shouting. They just kept running and paid no attention. The only 1 security guard I could see was back in the spiraling line trying to make sure it kept in order. We were just waiting for a fight to break out but thank God it didn't!

It was our first cruise and I was so impressed by the Breeze. Other than that one group of passengers I couldn't find a fault with the whole trip. I'm just wondering, are the lines for the tenders usually this bad? I understand that there are going to be times when these things happen (large, rude groups) but is it typical? Was there something about this cruise that attracted rowdy people? Any tips to avoid this again would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by scrapperluv

do you think your cruise might have been one of those 'theme cruises'?

Like.... 'recently released' or something? lol

But seriously, I've done a few tender ports and have never seen anything like that. So rude, right?

I would have let them straight past too, I don't think I'd want any confrontation on my vacation.

Like what? We weren't there, sounds like things happened rapidly.

Based on what the OP wrote thinking there was a pattern of abusive behavior going on and security should have been watching more closely.

Like what? We weren't there, sounds like things happened rapidly.

Based on what the OP wrote thinking there was a pattern of abusive behavior going on and security should have been watching more closely. Perhaps more people at the gangway.

People come from all walks of life and some people just don't know any better. Sometime you have to pick your battles and do what is right for your family and look the other way. All though it sucks to watch people getting away with acting like donkeys, I would have hated to ruin a whole vacation for my family by trying to be a hero.

Hi all,

I wanted to find out if this is normal aboard Carnival ships. I've already reported it to Carnival and I hope others have, as well. I'm booking another cruise (our 2nd!) and I'm a little concerned...

We were on the Breeze that sailed out of Miami on June 18th this year. The lido deck was PACKED with a large group (about 40-50 people) who were obviously traveling together. They took over the dance area and were loud and obnoxious. I'm not a super judgemental person, but I have to say I found it intimidating and avoided taking my 5 year old girl out there to dance. The men were about in their 20's with (no joke) prison looking tattoos and both the men and women were very pushy and intimidating (pushed in on the elevators, hogged the loungers, etc).

Anyway, my husband, 2 little ones and I got in line for the tender to board at Cayman Island about 45 minutes before the ship was leaving. Of course, the sky opened and there was a huge downpour. The line started at the top of the gangway, crossed an open area then wrapped in a spiral under a huge canopy. It was seriously pouring but there was nothing we could do but stand in it once the line moved forward and there was no more canopy. That's just life and at least it was warm rain!

About 15 minutes before departure, the unsavory group started arriving at the port in taxis. One group after the other, they jumped into the front of the spiraling line under the canopy. I think the 1 security guard there might have said something (or they were tired of waiting) because one group after the next got out of that line and RAN up the gangway all the way to the front and got directly on to the tenders! Every time their taxis pulled up another group of them ran right up, pushed by all the passengers lined up on the gangway, and went directly to the tenders. Most passengers just let them through (we did!) but some people were very angry and shouting. They just kept running and paid no attention. The only 1 security guard I could see was back in the spiraling line trying to make sure it kept in order. We were just waiting for a fight to break out but thank God it didn't!

It was our first cruise and I was so impressed by the Breeze. Other than that one group of passengers I couldn't find a fault with the whole trip. I'm just wondering, are the lines for the tenders usually this bad? I understand that there are going to be times when these things happen (large, rude groups) but is it typical? Was there something about this cruise that attracted rowdy people? Any tips to avoid this again would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yikes, doesn't sound good.

Based on what the OP wrote thinking there was a pattern of abusive behavior going on and security should have been watching more closely. Perhaps more people at the gangway.

Reread the post. The gangway thing was in Cayman, the groups arrived by taxi, stormed the tenders. Didn't leave much time for any security to think things out, and was basically non Carnival. As for Lido, what could be done? They were not hurting anyone, but surely it was upsetting. (I've been upset on Dream during college week. There was no where to go because that age group monopolized every venue there was.)

I'm a little concerned...

I'm just wondering, are the lines for the tenders usually this bad? I understand that there are going to be times when these things happen (large, rude groups) but is it typical? Was there something about this cruise that attracted rowdy people? Any tips to avoid this again would be appreciated. Thanks!

The lines are usually long since most people come back around the same time to return back to the ship and it creates a logjam. The day we were in Grand Cayman, there were a total of 5 ships parked in the ocean, however all lines were orderly, no cutting or running, just waiting for a long time.

It was just an isolated incident, there is nothing that you or anyone else can do. I doubt if Carnival even has security there. All cruise lines pay good money to the tender company, so I'm assuming it would be their and the port authority's job to maintain a secure environment.

Civic courtesy and manners are an honor system. There is no one to police them. It is up to the individual to honor them. Unfortunately for you and your family, you got caught in the middle of an unruly crowd.

There is nothing that can be done about it. All we can do is shake our heads and move on.

Hope the rest of your cruise wasn't spoiled by them.

The OP was probably on the May 18 sailing of the BREEZE. We were on the May 18 sailing of the FREEDOM and the BREEZE followed us to Cayman and Cozumel. In the afternoon, it did rain like crazy, but we got back on board just in time.

We've never experienced anything like what you witnessed. I would have been upset (just like you were) if we did.

We've been to Grand Cayman 4 or 5 times so usually get off the ship for a little while and then back on way before sailing time. Therefore, the lines are not very long. I do remember on our 1st cruise, though, when we did a Stingray tour, being in a very long line. Thankfully, it wasn't raining.

Unfortunately I think it's just how our world is going these days. A lot of the younger "ME" generation thinks that they should have the right to do what they want when they want and the rules do not apply to them. You can see behavior like this in about every large city.

Sorry it happened to you and hopefully you won't have to witness this again.

The worse I witnessed on a short 4-day Carnival cruise was a very drunk girl slapping a Cozumel pier guard on his behind when he passed. From the way he got up and personal in her face I was waiting for her to be hauled of to jail. But she was able to get back in-line after about 10 minutes of him telling her off.

If they were traveling together, they likely had someone who made the arrangement a, maybe getting free or discounts cabins so I would have at least spoken with Guest Services. Also pictures or videos of the behavior.. then when the group books next time , Carnival would have a record.

Unfortunately I think it's just how our world is going these days. A lot of the younger "ME" generation thinks that they should have the right to do what they want when they want and the rules do not apply to them. You can see behavior like this in about every large city.

A bit quick to assume that about the majority younger people.

You will also get just as many (although not all) of the older generation that think because they have lived on this planet longest and done this that and the other that rules do not apply to them. You see behaviour like this in every city, suburb and village.

Works both ways.

I am going to assume you are older than the younger "ME" generation.

And based upon that assumption, I have to ask, who raised the "younger" generation, teaching/allowing them to behave like that? Ah...that's right...the "older" generation. I think the finger points both ways on this issue.

And to the OP..have to love the judgmental "prison tattoo" comment. That set the tone for me right from the beginning that somehow you were wronged.

Maybe they bought FTTF.

We've had line cutters before for tenders, but nothing like what OP described. The worst we had was a group at Half Moon Cay who would get two people to move up in the tender line, then have the rest of the group join them. Then they would do it again - and again. This was out of sight of security. And this was the same group that felt entitled to come up to our cabana to use the showers - with us sitting right there.:rolleyes: (Yes, we quickly put an end to that.)

Op, sorry this happened. Last time we were in Grand Cayman, we had absolutely NO issues getting back on board the ship. We had a small line, but there was no pushing or taking cuts in line.

The only time we have experienced people cutting in line was on Princess. They didn't care. They just got in line when and where they wanted to get in line... smh.