Gangway nightmare boarding the Breeze...

scrapperluv

The passenger base on a ship certainly does make a big difference!

When we were on Glory for 14 days (7 day B2Bs), the first week was not pleasant -- filled with several different groups of loud rowdy pushy rude people with more tattoos than teeth. No joke, there were actually fist fights over deck chairs daily. At least it made for interesting people-watching. :D

On the second week you could not have ask for nicer more polite passengers.

There's every reason to hope the OP will not have so many rude people on his next cruise.

LuLu

It sucks that this group of energetic, self-centered, 20somethings did this. I have not seen that happen at a tender port, but I have see other scenarios like this on other ships.

I was on the Valor and there was a really large group of nascar fans on a group cruise. The ship was packed, and I mean packed like sardines! The nascar group at every possible chance would take up entire sections of Lido deck. If there was empty blue rockers on the raised area going up to Panorama they were quick to tell that the seats were saved and that ALL the seats were saved...oh really....The same thing with the theater, they send in a bunch of people, staged where they say and said that whole row was saved....oh really.....They did this whole cruise. It wasn't only me who was peeved off, the two ladies at the table in the dining room were peeved at them too...

Another cruise I went on, there was a modest sized group of parents with their intellectually handicapped kids. These parent and the kids seemed to think they were all that and more. Everytime there was something going on in the lounge they all were in the first or second row...no one else could ever sit there. They even had the audacity to MOVE a "reserved" sign that, when I asked one of the social hosts when I came in and made a comment, was reserved for some VIP's that Carnival had on board for the week. I got there close to an hour before the show and the parents and kids showed up about 45 minutes before the show. The stink the parents raised to the two social hosts who told them they couldn't sit in the first row ...oh my....I was back a few rows and one mother was playing up the "But my child is special" line....ya, well he went to get the CD and they didn't want this woman making a bigger scene than she was making. They let a half dozen of then sit at the end of the other side. The VIP's showed up (first formal night and dressed, oh my) and there was enough room.

Funny thing, I saw this one mom with a daughter with DS and everywhere she went she tried to butt in line, get the best seats and used her kids disability.

Most cruises it's all good, but on occasion, there are some who just think they have run of the ship and can do as they please.....

We've had line cutters before for tenders, but nothing like what OP described. The worst we had was a group at Half Moon Cay who would get two people to move up in the tender line, then have the rest of the group join them. Then they would do it again - and again. This was out of sight of security. And this was the same group that felt entitled to come up to our cabana to use the showers - with us sitting right there.:rolleyes: (Yes, we quickly put an end to that.)

How did they even get in there? :eek::confused:

When we were in HMC last summer, there were security guards stationed at the door of the cabanas. I was playing in the water and DS scrambled up onto the beach, headed right for the ladder that lead to a waterslide that went right into the ocean..which was attached to a cabana (the slide, not the ocean, LOL:D). Before he could get close enough to climb the ladder, a woman in some sort of security uniform yelled at him to BACK OFF NOW. He came back over to me crying because he didn't understand what happened and I was like, "Yeah. Just don't go over there again. Those aren't for public use."

Thanks for all of your input! I'm glad to hear this isn't typical. My travel agent said Carnival may have offered or advertised specials for large groups and this group jumped on it.

It really didn't ruin our trip at all and we are dying to go on our next one! We have the cruise bug!

I was just wondering if this was the type of crowd Carnival attracts so maybe I'd try another cruise line (and have to pay more, ugh!). From your posts here it sounds like this isn't the norm and it was just bad luck! They weren't just young, drunk people. They were obviously a very rough crowd and (sorry to make assumptions based on appearances!!!) may have even been gang affiliated. THat sounds terrible of me to say...I'm just going on the specific type of tattoos and the dress/tough attitude. NO offense to people with tats! My husband has several and they can be very sexy ; ) It was intimidating walking my little ones through large groups of them, though.

I complained to Carnival saying they need to have better control of those tenders. Yes, the storm and behavior definitely happened very suddenly and the one security guard did a great job where he could. There weren't enough security guards to cover that gangway.

In the end, my main concern was that it came very close to fights breaking out as they pushed their way up the gangway. It could have turned very ugly and there were lots of children in that line (including my own). Luckily the folks in line were classy enough to step aside or just shout at them!

Woops, we sailed May 18th!!

It sucks that this group of energetic, self-centered, 20somethings did this. I have not seen that happen at a tender port, but I have see other scenarios like this on other ships.

I was on the Valor and there was a really large group of nascar fans on a group cruise. The ship was packed, and I mean packed like sardines! The nascar group at every possible chance would take up entire sections of Lido deck. If there was empty blue rockers on the raised area going up to Panorama they were quick to tell that the seats were saved and that ALL the seats were saved...oh really....The same thing with the theater, they send in a bunch of people, staged where they say and said that whole row was saved....oh really.....They did this whole cruise. It wasn't only me who was peeved off, the two ladies at the table in the dining room were peeved at them too...

Another cruise I went on, there was a modest sized group of parents with their intellectually handicapped kids. These parent and the kids seemed to think they were all that and more. Everytime there was something going on in the lounge they all were in the first or second row...no one else could ever sit there. They even had the audacity to MOVE a "reserved" sign that, when I asked one of the social hosts when I came in and made a comment, was reserved for some VIP's that Carnival had on board for the week. I got there close to an hour before the show and the parents and kids showed up about 45 minutes before the show. The stink the parents raised to the two social hosts who told them they couldn't sit in the first row ...oh my....I was back a few rows and one mother was playing up the "But my child is special" line....ya, well he went to get the CD and they didn't want this woman making a bigger scene than she was making. They let a half dozen of then sit at the end of the other side. The VIP's showed up (first formal night and dressed, oh my) and there was enough room.

Funny thing, I saw this one mom with a daughter with DS and everywhere she went she tried to butt in line, get the best seats and used her kids disability.

Most cruises it's all good, but on occasion, there are some who just think they have run of the ship and can do as they please.....

Lol, this does sound frustrating but I'd have had the nerve to ask Nascar fans if they'd move over.

Unfortunately I think it's just how our world is going these days. A lot of the younger "ME" generation thinks that they should have the right to do what they want when they want and the rules do not apply to them. You can see behavior like this in about every large city.

As Part of this "ME" generation. Groupthink works both ways. Mob mentality; it's a thing. Would you normally do XXXX? How about when you are with 10 of your friends who are thinking XXXX should be done, you sort of go about it and not think anything negative. It Sucks but it happens to everyone, of every age group.

I am going to assume you are older than the younger "ME" generation.

And based upon that assumption, I have to ask, who raised the "younger" generation, teaching/allowing them to behave like that? Ah...that's right...the "older" generation. I think the finger points both ways on this issue.

And to the OP..have to love the judgmental "prison tattoo" comment. That set the tone for me right from the beginning that somehow you were wronged.

Maybe they bought FTTF.

At least the OP updated and admitted they might have been judgmental; However I agree the behavior is subpar, and shame on the group if they cut in line. Being louder =/= correct.

When we were in HMC last summer, there were security guards stationed at the door of the cabanas. I was playing in the water and DS scrambled up onto the beach, headed right for the ladder that lead to a waterslide that went right into the ocean..which was attached to a cabana (the slide, not the ocean, LOL:D). Before he could get close enough to climb the ladder, a woman in some sort of security uniform yelled at him to BACK OFF NOW. He came back over to me crying because he didn't understand what happened and I was like, "Yeah. Just don't go over there again. Those aren't for public use."

Ah, different cabana. That sounds like it was the Grand Cabana aka the Private Oasis, which has a water slide. That cabana is a wonderful experience - we did it a few years ago with a CC roll call.:cool: The Grand Cabana does have staff, but the regular cabanas do not. The regular cabanas are right out on the beach.

That Cabana is the very expensive one. I believe like 1200 a day. She should not have yelled at your DS though. I had a family practically move into my cabana there. They camped out on the side of it, sitting on the side, climbed on the railing, used the railing as a table. Used our shower, took our float mats and whenever we left it one of them would venture all the way into it looking. They use nasty language and smoked like chimneys. I told them it was a private cabana and was asked what I thought I was going to do about it. Another family scooted their beach chairs right up to the front steps and used the stairs as a table. This family got sand shaken into their drinks by my feet. There was no security in sight. Was not a pleasant day!

Lol, this does sound frustrating but I'd have had the nerve to ask Nascar fans if they'd move over.

NASCR FANS don't have tats. Wrong stereotype. they wear baseball hats. hunt. fish. drive trucks.

On the Fascination, in May of 2012, we cruised the end of May when Graduation Week was in full force. College kids. High School kids. With parents or grandparents for the HS and groups of College Kids on their lonesome. UGH. we said.

THEN.....I never had more doors opened for me in my life. never heard more Yes Mam's in my life. Every college kid we encountered from the seven foot young black man with long dread locks to the high school graduates..two of them..who played Trivia with us...they .were class acts. they were the kids you want your kids to be like.

My Point. Most of them were from Southern Schools. GA.AL.MS.S.C.TN. One..guess which one..from Kentucky.... and they Gave me hope for humanity.

I think we have a culture issue here. A different culture. Just like the kids on the fascination.......the South is laid back. To us other cultures seem pushy and rude. To other cultures........we are living in 1900.

YES. I have been on cruises with badly behaved passengers. the worst..A huge family reunion. Those people were the worst linebreakers. yellers. fighters. That entire family..old to young..had been dipped in pickle juice.

The bit about the Cabanas................that is way over the line. Do they..the rude folks..realize how much they cost? I would have gotten security over that, but then you worry about reprisals. Bad situation. Carnival should watch the cabanas areas.

But NOT All Young people are rude and rowdy. Some are just an absolute delight.

Edited by AmberTeka

Luckily for us we have always had nice people on the ships we have cruised on.

Same for us!! We have been on 20 Carnival cruises and have never ran into this type of behavior. Maybe its the time of year we travel as we always go off season. Oct. is one of our favorite months to cruise- less people, cheaper rates!:)

Pat

Same for us!! We have been on 20 Carnival cruises and have never ran into this type of behavior. Maybe its the time of year we travel as we always go off season. Oct. is one of our favorite months to cruise- less people, cheaper rates!:)

Pat

Same here, we cruise in Jan/Feb and though there have been some "entertaining" fellow passengers we have never experienced problem's as stated by the OP and others.

My favorite saying about Carnival is "Carnival cruise rates are so cheap anybody can afford to book a cruise and they do!"

Carnival ships are diversified, that is what makes it so fun.

My tip for future cruisers to Grand Cayman. If the tender lines are backed up, there is a open air bar in the shopping area where the lines form. Just go sit at the bar, in the shade order a drink and enjoy the view of the ocean. They have a roof, so if it is raining, you won't get wet. Wait until the lines die down and then board a tender back to the ship.

In my experience Carnival cruises sailing out of Miami can have a higher population of an unsavory crowd, perhaps due to local specials trying to fill the ship.

Similarly sailings out of Tampa and Port Canaveral can have a higher population of folks from the Villages dues to specials to fill the ship.

I'm not sure how you could avoid that...there's no way to know in advance if there will be a group of unruly passengers on a cruise.

This is not *normal* for Carnival but it is *common*

Ummm.. yes.. there is a way to "sometimes" find out if there will be a large group on your cruise.. we did find out, a bit too late, that a large group of singles will be travelling on the Breeze when we are.. Oct 25 this yr.. We found out by doing a search through google.com entering in our cruise ship and cruise date... just checking to see if any theme cruises are happening same time we cruise.. unfortunately for us, we had already booked and paid.. so yes.. there is sometimes a way to find out if a large group will be cruising on your cruise dates..

Ummm.. yes.. there is a way to "sometimes" find out if there will be a large group on your cruise.. we did find out, a bit too late, that a large group of singles will be travelling on the Breeze when we are.. Oct 25 this yr.. We found out by doing a search through google.com entering in our cruise ship and cruise date... just checking to see if any theme cruises are happening same time we cruise.. unfortunately for us, we had already booked and paid.. so yes.. there is sometimes a way to find out if a large group will be cruising on your cruise dates..

If it's a chaperoned singles cruise, they don't mingle randomly. They have their own activities and excursions because of the fact they have no partner to cruise with. (yes, I know, never use "with" to end a sentence "with"). No worries.

Yes, we've seen it and it does happen. There is not very much staff can do about it, less they have a riot on their hands. Customer satisfaction usually means the rowdiest customer gets their way- unfortunately.

2 common denominators: GROUPS (anytime a large group is on board, they are going to take over-everything) PRICE- go on a low priced cruise and you face a diverse mix of incomes and all that this implies.

We cruise based on price and itinerary and take our chances.

I can tell you from experience that the singles groups do not take over the whole ship. There are organized activities, but they happen in areas that are not being used. They have their own section of the dining room. For the most part, the only way you;ll tell that the singles group is on board from the people wearing the name necklaces. Oh and on that cruise, they have a huge costume party for Halloween!

You seem to be mistaken. You are thinking of sponsored / theme type cruises. A group of 50 frat brothers that decide to book a cruise together won't show up on an internet search because it is a private group. Sponsored groups / an organization buying out half the ship is a different story.

I can tell you from experience that the singles groups do not take over the whole ship. There are organized activities, but they happen in areas that are not being used. They have their own section of the dining room. For the most part, the only way you;ll tell that the singles group is on board from the people wearing the name necklaces. Oh and on that cruise, they have a huge costume party for Halloween!

I don't know what that poster was thinking, unless she equated singles as swingers:eek: And that would be a full charter cruise, not a public cruise.

In my experience Carnival cruises sailing out of Miami can have a higher population of an unsavory crowd, perhaps due to local specials trying to fill the ship.

Similarly sailings out of Tampa and Port Canaveral can have a higher population of folks from :eek: the Villages :eek: dues to specials to fill the ship.

I'll take a ship full of drunken buffoons over a ship full of Tea Party political proselytizers any day.

Edited by fishywood