Seattle Restaurant's

lag9122

We have just returned from our Alaska sailing. We stayed at Inn at the Market and were extremely pleased! We booked online, but just a room. They have options where you can book car service, breakfast, etc.

We were on the 7th floor, which was recently renovated. Gorgeous! It was luxurious, quiet, spacious, and perfectly located. You are seconds...less than half a minute...from Pike Place Market. And, in case you forgot anything for your cruise, two blocks from Target--again, literally a five-minute, leisurely walk.

We went to Pike Place Market the morning of sail away and purchased not only a beautiful bouquet of flowers to bring on board for our stateroom (check and see if you can do this, too!), but also our breakfast. Fruit from here, bread from there. There's a terrace on the 5th floor of Inn at the Market that overlooks the bay. This is where we had our breakfast. Simply breathtaking.

As for restaurants, we had dinner at The Pink Door. It's a local place, so not a chain. We wanted to try something specific to Seattle. Here's a nod to location again...less than a minute from the hotel. The Pink Door is known for Italian and seafood and offers live entertainment, which some nights is free (it was on our Thursday night reservation), but I believe on Sundays there is a cover charge. There is both indoor and outdoor seating; if you choose to sit outdoors, you will, again, have a wonderful view of the bay.

But what is your favorite that can't be found everywhere else?? [there are 3 here in SATX and I'd still rather go to a local place]

That's what I mean, you like the local places, while others go for places like Ruth Chris.

I really don't have a favorite place in Seattle.

That's what I mean, you like the local places, while others go for places like Ruth Chris.

I really don't have a favorite place in Seattle.

got it....we will try to avoid anything that we could do here...why pay all that money, travel the distance and go to somewhere that's around the corner.

got it....we will try to avoid anything that we could do here...why pay all that money, travel the distance and go to somewhere that's around the corner.

Same here--I've never understood people who travel thousands of miles to someplace new and interesting, and then track down the nearest Applebees or McDonald's!!

Okay, so you want local favorites...besides the ones I mentioned already, you might want to consider these. Most of them aren't quite in downtown, but they aren't so very far from it. They wouldn't be hard to reach via transit, and they wouldn't be a terrible cab ride from the Sheraton.

Salumi--They stay open very limited hours, because they can. There's always a wait because, yes, it's really that good. Celebrity chef Mario Batali's father Armandino was an engineer at Boeing for 30 years. Then he took early retirement, moved to Italy to study traditional meat curing techniques, and came back to Seattle to open this place. The neighborhood is a little skeevy--you will definitely see street people--but I don't think twice about going there at lunchtime. The food is AMAZING. They're in Pioneer Square.

Seven Stars Pepper Szechuan Restaurant--If you like it spicy, they can deliver. The hand-cut dan dan noodles are to die for, and some people say the Szechuan Crab is the best crab dish in town. They're in the International District.

Skillet Diner--Basic American comfort food done really, REALLY well, with a few creative Seattle twists. Try the bacon jam. They're on Capitol Hill.

Marination--Korean/Mexican/Hawaiian fusion. Kalbi beef tacos, Spam sliders, and their secret-formula Nunya Sauce. They started out as a food truck but now they have a couple of permanent locations--one on Capitol Hill, and the one I really recommend, on the pier where the Water Taxi lands in West Seattle--easy-peasy from downtown.

Lunchbox Laboratory--Fabulously messy, delicious burgers with more crazy toppings and accompaniments than you can imagine. The one in South Lake Union is nearest to you.

Toulouse Petit--Best breakfasts in town, and their happy hour might just be even better. They do New Orleans Creole food with a Pacific Northwest twist. You could make a fine dinner off the happy hour munchies, but if you want a table, better be there at 4 pm when it starts. They're on Lower Queen Anne.

Bon appétit!

I love trying new food and places to get we went on a cruise in March we ate new things and we did things we haven't done before . Like we rode jets skis and quads and ate alligator bites and I had salmon for the first time . I am all about thinking outside the box .

Thank you for the list! Salumi was one of the 1st places I looked and they are closed on the 4th....I would love to eat all day - just stop into local places and try a couple of appetizers or small plates. The friend I'm sailing with is one who doesn't mind sharing small plates [some people will NOT share!!!]

This is my rule when traveling too. I try to not eat anything I can get at home, even if it's something as simple as eating at Hardee's instead of Burger King on a road trip.

One exception is that I "collect" Old Spaghetti Factory locations, and was happy to add St. Louis to my list this spring. I know, I'm weird, but I started doing it back in my 20s and has become tradition. :o

So we are here for our RC cruise leaving this Friday. Just had an amazing dinner at Icon Grille. Beautiful setting, great service, good local beer and awesome food. Highly recommend this spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the list! Salumi was one of the 1st places I looked and they are closed on the 4th....I would love to eat all day - just stop into local places and try a couple of appetizers or small plates. The friend I'm sailing with is one who doesn't mind sharing small plates [some people will NOT share!!!]

Me, too--I always have a list of places I want to eat before I go on a trip, in addition to the list of things I want to see and do!

DeLaurenti's in Pike Place Market carries a few of Salumi's meats, including their mole salami (with a hint of cinnamon and chocolate and chiles). If you can't get to Salumi for a sandwich, they can at least give you a taste.

I really don't know what will be open on the 4th--but with it being at the height of cruise season, I suspect that at least some of the Pike Place Market vendors and restaurants won't be willing to turn away all those tourists!!

I just thought of something else you might like--food tours of the Market or other nearby neighborhoods. They take you into a few shops and restaurants and you get to graze on samples while they tell you about the history of the neighborhood and the back-stories of the businesses. If they're running tours on the 4th, they will know where to take you that's open! Here are some companies that do them:

Seattle Food Tours

Savor Seattle

Seattle Bites

All Seattle Tours

The food critic for the Seattle Weekly did a review of some of these a few years back--here are her thoughts http://www.seattleweekly.com/2011-06-08/food/seattle-s-top-three-food-tours/

I'm going to push for the pike place tour. Not sure my co-worker can hold up to a two hour walk [knee issue] but in 3 weeks I'll be there.

If I haven't before - thanks to everyone for all the input on my 1st ever cruise and visit to Seattle. I'll be checking it out in 531 hours!!!

Casagordita Thank you so muchfor the info about the food tours . I am going to check that out These boards are great I have learned so much about cruising and all the wonderful ports .

Lisa

Casagordita Thank you so muchfor the info about the food tours . I am going to check that out These boards are great I have learned so much about cruising and all the wonderful ports .

Lisa

You're most welcome! I keep saying I'm going to do one--even though I've lived here for 21 years, I still keep finding parts of the Market that I never knew were there.

Enjoy!

You're most welcome! I keep saying I'm going to do one--even though I've lived here for 21 years, I still keep finding parts of the Market that I never knew were there.

Enjoy!

Your comment made me go look at San Antonio tours - I think I'll spend a long weekend in the [much cooler] fall and act like a tourist!

We are staying at the Mayflower Park and will be coming back from an all day (10 tour) to Mt. Rainier and will probably be tired. Can someone recommend a good restaurant that we can easily walk to, and be relatively quick?

We are staying at the Mayflower Park and will be coming back from an all day (10 tour) to Mt. Rainier and will probably be tired. Can someone recommend a good restaurant that we can easily walk to, and be relatively quick?

Couple of suggestions.

Can be pricey, but Steelhead Diner is excellent. Great seafood in a diner-like atmosphere. You'll likely want reservations.

Quick burgers or pizza and good beer, Pike Place Brewing Company.

Either is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

Andaluca, the restaurant right in the Mayflower, is one of the better places downtown. An elevator ride away, or splurge with room service, which they provide. The bar snacks in Oliver's, the hotel bar, are also excellent.

Edited by Gardyloo

I haven't been there, but I've heard great things about Andaluca, the restaurant right in the hotel. They do Spanish and Mediterranean food.

There is a food court in Westlake Center, adjoining the hotel, if you don't mind a very casual dinner.

Pacific Place is another urban mall about two blocks from the Mayflower Park. They have a better selection of restaurants--Gordon Biersch Brewery, il Fornaio (Italian), Mexico Cantina, and Thai Ginger, among others. They're all pretty good.

Serious Pie is Tom Douglas' gourmet pizza place. It's a couple of blocks from the hotel. Dahlia Lounge is another Tim Douglas Place, also a couple of blocks away and more upscale. Palace Kitchen is yet another, a couple of blocks further than the first two. Douglas is one of Seattle's most renown and popular chefs, and most people like his restaurants a lot.

That should be enough to give you some options!

Couple of suggestions.

Can be pricey, but Steelhead Diner is excellent. Great seafood in a diner-like atmosphere. You'll likely want reservations.

Quick burgers or pizza and good beer, Pike Place Brewing Company.

Either is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

Andaluca, the restaurant right in the Mayflower, is one of the better places downtown. An elevator ride away, or splurge with room service, which they provide. The bar snacks in Oliver's, the hotel bar, are also excellent.

I haven't been there, but I've heard great things about Andaluca, the restaurant right in the hotel. They do Spanish and Mediterranean food.

There is a food court in Westlake Center, adjoining the hotel, if you don't mind a very casual dinner.

Pacific Place is another urban mall about two blocks from the Mayflower Park. They have a better selection of restaurants--Gordon Biersch Brewery, il Fornaio (Italian), Mexico Cantina, and Thai Ginger, among others. They're all pretty good.

Serious Pie is Tom Douglas' gourmet pizza place. It's a couple of blocks from the hotel. Dahlia Lounge is another Tim Douglas Place, also a couple of blocks away and more upscale. Palace Kitchen is yet another, a couple of blocks further than the first two. Douglas is one of Seattle's most renown and popular chefs, and most people like his restaurants a lot.

That should be enough to give you some options!

Thanks for all the suggestions. From what I saw on the Mayflower's website Andaluca's is not open on Monday night.

• 5 months later...

WOW...I was going to start a new thread but found this one while

searching for restaurants:D

Ok...I have been to Seattle 4 previous times over the years but it

has been 6 years since I have been back....I will be visiting again 1 night

pre-cruise in May and staying at The Silver Cloud Lake Union....are the

restaurants on the Lake within walking distance of the hotel?

I also much prefer eating at local places rather than chains when I am

vacationing.:).......someone mentioned the Icon Grille.....I have eaten

there before and loved it.:)

Edited by Lois R

I will be visiting again 1 night

pre-cruise in May and staying at The Silver Cloud Lake Union....are the

restaurants on the Lake within walking distance of the hotel?

I mentioned a few of them in your other thread; Chandlers, Dukes, Daniels Broiler. There several good restaurants within 2-3 blocks of your hotel but these are the ones I have first hand knowledge of. When we take the boat out to visit Seattle, we dock at Dukes and have lunch there. It's fun to watch all the boat traffic and float planes.

I mentioned a few of them in your other thread; Chandlers, Dukes, Daniels Broiler. There several good restaurants within 2-3 blocks of your hotel but these are the ones I have first hand knowledge of. When we take the boat out to visit Seattle, we dock at Dukes and have lunch there. It's fun to watch all the boat traffic and float planes.

Hi:) ok..that is all I wanted to know.....you had said to start another

thread about restaurants but no reason to do that since this one is

here;) thanks for the reply. I will just stroll along and see what is there

in person:D.....I bet I will find one I like and omg...I checked out Daniel's

Broiler website.......it looks soooooo good:D..and Duke's is the Chowder

place, right?...omg...just checked their website too.......looks outstanding!

Edited by Lois R

Hi:) ok..that is all I wanted to know.....you had said to start another

thread about restaurants but no reason to do that since this one is

here;) thanks for the reply. I will just stroll along and see what is there

in person:D.....I bet I will find one I like and omg...I checked out Daniel's

Broiler website.......it looks soooooo good:D..and Duke's is the Chowder

place, right?...omg...just checked their website too.......looks outstanding!

I'd also mention that I Love Sushi, in the same complex across the street (and down a block or two) as the others, is a pretty good sushi place if you like sushi. Also, I don't know if anybody's mentioned that you can walk a block or so and catch the South Lake Union Streetcar (formerly know as the South Lake Union Trolly until someone looked at the initials - :eek:) which will take you to Westlake Center in downtown Seattle, and which will pass a number of decent restaurants en route.

Also, the Silver Cloud has a shuttle bus that will take residents to places like Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) or to the Pike Place Market, where obviously there are umpteen more dining options.

I'd also mention that I Love Sushi, in the same complex across the street (and down a block or two) as the others, is a pretty good sushi place if you like sushi. Also, I don't know if anybody's mentioned that you can walk a block or so and catch the South Lake Union Streetcar (formerly know as the South Lake Union Trolly until someone looked at the initials - :eek:) which will take you to Westlake Center in downtown Seattle, and which will pass a number of decent restaurants en route.

Also, the Silver Cloud has a shuttle bus that will take residents to places like Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) or to the Pike Place Market, where obviously there are umpteen more dining options.

Thank you. I LOVE sushi:D